(As Promised) Crappy cell pic of my new bike

Aerik

A '77 (with a '79 engine) Suzuki GS750. Runs quite well, and it's a blast to ride (I love old-school bench bikes). Immediate plan is to paint the tank and fenders flat black, and patch/ recover the seat somehow (note the Kentucky Chrome currently covering two smallish splits in the ancient vinyl). I wouldn't mind getting some clip-on highway pegs and new handlebars too when I get some cash, because the stock ones hurt my wrists (funny angle for a tall guy).

picture.php?albumid=609&pictureid=8031

Tasty older bike!

Don't get too carried away with the mods yet.

Ride it a bit and see what really needs done.

Get a H-4 headlight for cheap, PM me for details.

Them older bikes didn't last this long without a reason.

I gotta wonder, new motor is stock? Hmm....

Sell the saddle bags for $5.00 to any 1980 KZ rider you know from the here. :)

For, um aerodynamic reasons, Yea, thats the ticket! ;)

Edited by Strictly Street

Looks good, how much did you end up paying for it?

I traded him my Glock 17 and $200. I'm happy with that, although I miss that gun.

And mod-wise, while I'd love to cafe it, that shit costs money. Flat black is cheap. The engine runs extremely (read-- 'Aaaaahhhh I'm a cruiser guy why is my front wheel off the ground?!?!?1!') well in the powerband, although it bogs a bit if you open the throttle too wide too fast. I'll stick with fixing that gawdawful paintjob and other minor cosmetic stuff for now.

I did steal the stock rear turn signals off of RainCheck's '01 Ninja 250 and stick them on this one-- it had tiny generic aftermarket ones that were more or less invisible.

I traded him my Glock 17 and $200. I'm happy with that, although I miss that gun.

And mod-wise, while I'd love to cafe it, that shit costs money. Flat black is cheap. The engine runs extremely (read-- 'Aaaaahhhh I'm a cruiser guy why is my front wheel off the ground?!?!?1!') well in the powerband, although it bogs a bit if you open the throttle too wide too fast. I'll stick with fixing that gawdawful paintjob and other minor cosmetic stuff for now.

I did steal the stock rear turn signals off of RainCheck's '01 Ninja 250 and stick them on this one-- it had tiny generic aftermarket ones that were more or less invisible.

Good deal man. Have fun on it.

I learned on a 1978 GS750. Heavy as hell... But fun!

My main bike for the last few years has been my 1100 Shadow-- 615 lbs before I get on it. This thing weighs nothing next to that.

What kind of handle bar are u wanting to change to,I might be able to help u out there.

I want drag bars like I have on my Shadow, and Hob13 has one I could use (his dad has a garage full of old Triumphs, and about a million sets of 7/8 bars). Unfortunately, this bike has the risers built into the triple-tree, and the drags hit the tank without taller risers. So I'm going to have to get those goofy riser-extenders that slot into the built-in risers before I can use the bars. Anyone with a set of those (cheap!) should let me know.

Update-- This weekend I painted Siouxsie (yeah, that's right, she's old school). Meijer had a sale on flat black spray paint, so two cans of that, one can of primer, and a whole lot of sanding later:

Before (just after Raincheck's test-ride)

picture.php?albumid=750&pictureid=8068

The front fender had cancer of the chrome, so we had to strip the hell out of it:

picture.php?albumid=750&pictureid=8067

The rear cowl and tank (showing evidence of bondo over the holes where the Suzuki badges were):

picture.php?albumid=750&pictureid=8066

Watching primer dry in front of a space heater. FML:

picture.php?albumid=750&pictureid=8065

Done, finally:

picture.php?albumid=750&pictureid=8064

Not shown: After the tank was finished and drying, I managed to knock it off the stand, rolling it across the pool table littered with tools. So, at 530 this morning, I had to sand all the new scratches and start again. Fun shit.

My inability to use bondo well resulted in the outlines being somewhat visible even after quite a lot of sanding, so I'll have to re-sand and paint again at some point. I think I'll wait till I get a good scratch on it. I don't care if it looks a little rugged- Siouxsie's supposed to be a nasty old bitch anyway.

Nice! Was the original paint that bad? That bitch would look sweet with some drag bars.

I agree on the drag bars, once I get the cash for the goofy riser extenders. The original paint job was awful '70s blue/green with light blue and gold pinstripes, and it did have a couple of good rust spots (looked like dings that had eventually grown. The chrome on the front fender was dying a horrific death, with all manner of weird flakiness and rusting going on.

While I'm happy with the ratty cosmetic result, my main concern was just protecting the metal.