My 1st crash

granda080

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One question? Did you see God?

Umm can't say that I did, but that's probably who/what I saw between remembering being on the bike and realizing I was sliding along the road.

I wrecked on 732 by Oxford (very near to 177).

Also an update on myself physically. I've got the rash on the elbow, and quarter sized rash on each knee. The rest of me just hurts and aches, but I'm not complaining :D.

I was looking for a winter project... I guess now I have one.

I greatly appreciate all the well wishes! It means a lot to know that you all are out there!

i will only agree if you're talking street here. back brake on entry works wonders for track purposes.

If you come to hot into a turn, how do you slow? Front brake? I know, I know, should downshift and brake before the turn... but still working on that.

Too fast IN the turn? Front brake still?

(Street only)

wait, you have front brakes on your vulcan? :p

use what your bike gives you, sportbikes have large front brakes, small diameter rear - use more front than rear. the old adage of ~80/20 is about right for me whereas it used to be 100/0 for a long time. i just started using rear brake at the track this year and have loved the way it slides around, nothing like you see on tv tho. if your brake disc diameters are about the same then that is going to be closer to 50/50, following me camera guy?

before turn, as much as the front will allow, some back to keep the bike calm - it'll probably around just get used to it.

in a turn, hold your throttle and lean more, or (on track) give it gas and drive it out, yea seems counterintuitive but it works.

get to a track bud.

Edited by natedogg624

wait, you have front brakes on your vulcan? :p

use what your bike gives you, sportbikes have large front brakes, small diameter rear - use more front than rear. the old adage of ~80/20 is about right for me whereas it used to be 100/0 for a long time. i just started using rear brake at the track this year and have loved the way it slides around, nothing like you see on tv tho. if your brake disc diameters are about the same then that is going to be closer to 50/50, following me camera guy?

before turn, as much as the front will allow, some back to keep the bike calm - it'll probably around just get used to it.

in a turn, hold your throttle and lean more, or (on track) give it gas and drive it out, yea seems counterintuitive but it works.

get to a track bud.

gotta get a bike suitable for the track first ;)

but yah, I sometimes "forget" I have rear brakes (2 of my friends don't even have front brakes on their customs)... as far as braking goes, the "risk" to using the front brake seems WAY lower than the "risk" of rear brake.

I lean the Vulcan pretty hard, but not enough... I swapped out pegs and that gave me quite a bit extra lean, now it's just my kickstand that drags. I usually just don't estimate the turn well enough and end up a little too fast, I can put the bike pretty far over but not far enough by any means, as for leaving the turn, I usually hit it pretty hard... exiting the turn isn't the hard part :) it's entering it! lol

There's one really nice sweeper by me that I keep pushing, but it seems no matter what I do I enter it too hot and end up having to brake a little... but this could be just me needing to "suck it up"

All I know is that I am not good enough rider to be "sliding around". I'll leave that for the pro's :)

Well, I beg to differ, you've obviously good enough to slide around... just not good enough to slide around "controlled" :-D

Sorry, had to, now that I know you're ok

gotta get a bike suitable for the track first ;)

but yah, I sometimes "forget" I have rear brakes (2 of my friends don't even have front brakes on their customs)... as far as braking goes, the "risk" to using the front brake seems WAY lower than the "risk" of rear brake.

I lean the Vulcan pretty hard, but not enough... I swapped out pegs and that gave me quite a bit extra lean, now it's just my kickstand that drags. I usually just don't estimate the turn well enough and end up a little too fast, I can put the bike pretty far over but not far enough by any means, as for leaving the turn, I usually hit it pretty hard... exiting the turn isn't the hard part :) it's entering it! lol

There's one really nice sweeper by me that I keep pushing, but it seems no matter what I do I enter it too hot and end up having to brake a little... but this could be just me needing to "suck it up"

Suck it up typing cat! The bike WILL do more than you will likely have the confidence to take it. There's a thread somewhere about corner entry confidence, take a look for it. It was a few months ago, I think.

If you have to brake in a turn, you want to use the front, because if you lock it up (since being on the side of the tire, you'll have less traction) you will lowside. If the rear locks up, when it grabs traction again, instant highside. I know I've said this before, sounding like a broken record (does anyone even remember what those are?) but it's important to have this engrained into your mind. If you have to brake hard (such as to panic stop) try to upright the bike as best as you can.

Suck it up typing cat! The bike WILL do more than you will likely have the confidence to take it. There's a thread somewhere about corner entry confidence, take a look for it. It was a few months ago, I think.

If you have to brake in a turn, you want to use the front, because if you lock it up (since being on the side of the tire, you'll have less traction) you will lowside. If the rear locks up, when it grabs traction again, instant highside. I know I've said this before, sounding like a broken record (does anyone even remember what those are?) but it's important to have this engrained into your mind. If you have to brake hard (such as to panic stop) try to upright the bike as best as you can.

hehe

I'm not sure why it stuck in my head so hard, but during the MSF we were taught, if you lock the rear, don't let go until you stop. I was following a buddy from work and he braked hard for a light (so I didn't have to run it) and I hit an oil patch...

All I could think was "don't let go, don't let go"... held that skid for a good 25-50 feet... but it felt like an eternity!

hehe

I'm not sure why it stuck in my head so hard, but during the MSF we were taught, if you lock the rear, don't let go until you stop. I was following a buddy from work and he braked hard for a light (so I didn't have to run it) and I hit an oil patch...

All I could think was "don't let go, don't let go"... held that skid for a good 25-50 feet... but it felt like an eternity!

THAT's exactly right, if you lock the rear, keep it locked until you stop, or lay it down. That will avoid a highside. As I said, when the rear grabs back traction, and starts spinning again, it tries to get back straight and vertical, and THAT is what casuses the highside.

if you are ever in a situation where you feel like you need to grab some front or back brake because you are too fast into the turn... dont. set your speed and go with what you have. you'll make it everytime. you will never match the capabilities of the bike.

hehe

The bad part of that is you flat spot a tire like that.