lets talk back protectors

Hoblick

ive heard people swear up and down over KNOX back protectors. any opinions?

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=KNOX+Armor%3ABody+Armor%3ABack+and+Spine

knox_aegis_8plate_400.jpg

i believe this has been standard fare for a while, though they have a newer, and supposedly better one, shown below:

knox_contour_race-std_txt_400.jpg

contourcutoutb.jpg

would be interesting to know if anyone has any experience with this second one.

Bohn here. Don't know if it's CE though. I had the Joe Rocket before that, which was rubbish. That rode up high whenever it felt like it, and just hit the base of the helmet. Not good.

The Bohn fits well, has tailbone coverage too, and doesn't move out of place.

Knox Contour Race Back protector. I also wear a knox chest protector, and bohn armour shorts. All items can be found on STG's site.

Yep yep. Chest protector is a very good investment. Fits great into the contour as well.... the Bohn Adventure shorts, WOW, let me tell ya. I dont ever want to crash without those again. They are awesome and provide tons of protection. Not sure if the price has changed but I think I paid $80ish for the shorts and its worth it.

if you have any kind of armor on your back, whether its knox/astar/etc take out the egg carton foam that comes "standard" in most suits.

i have a CE certified teknic back protector, a little stiff at first but now its form fit to my back. Kidney belt and shoulder straps that secure into my knox chest protector.

to the OP: if you're getting a back protector, why not spend a little more money and invest in a good chest protector too? if money is a concern you can buy these same ones we are suggesting at a used price off the wera board.

no back protector is really 'comfortable,' but you get used to some quicker than others. Honestly, I don't even notice mine on the track. Same with the chest protector.

I have this knox-stowaway-back.jpg which is NOT a 'race' model, but certainly better than nothing, and another with a hard spine that I borrowed from a friend and have yet to give back :-p

my chest protector is thicker than i'd like, but i can still zip the leathers, so no problems thus far: KNOX%20CHEST.jpg

both cost me about $40 each (the chest protector was used).