Digital camera HELP..........

jbctown

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the patience to learn all the cool things about an SLR camera then it is indeed worth it. I would love to have one but I'm far too lazy/impatient to learn how to use one correctly and to its full potential to be worth it

agreed with bad and your original thoughts. for normal usage a pac (point and click) is very capable. To unlock the true potential of a dslr you need lenses, photoshoop, and learning (isos, shutter speeds, aperture, fstop etc)... and even then lots of pacs will do those

pacs lack ability to modify focal lengths, that's the biggest fault

I'd suggest a midrange hybrid... hundred or 2 more than a pac but still 2-6 less than a mid-level dslr

If you have the patience to learn all the cool things about an SLR camera then it is indeed worth it.

+1

Cameras don't take great photo's. Good cameras being used by someone that knows how to use it take good photo's. If you will take the time to learn about F stops and all that you will get much better shots and you practice a lot. If you just want to set it to auto and click then stick with a point ans shoot.

I need some camera input pros and cons. I have always had the small Canon PowerShot style cameras. Do I need SLR. Looking at Nikon D5000, Olympus Evolt E520 and Canon EOS 50D any help would be great.

My personal opinion, if you don't already know if you need (or could benefit from) a SLR, then you don't.

I started with a film SLR, and didn't know what to do with it, and left it in "green box" or fully auto mode a LOT. One thing I DID utilize was the different focal lengths of the lenses. That IS an additional cost, however, and I have more in lenses than I do my camera (40D which I bought new in Feb, just before the baby arrived!) and that was moreso the case before with my Digital Rebel.

After I got my D-SLR, I started learning (again) about what the different settings do (Shutter speed, aperature, ISO, and so on) and from then on, I can't remember the last time I used a camera in "Green Box" mode. There are many shots I have taken that would NOT have been any good had I been in Auto mode.

www.dpreview.com is a good resource for comparing specs. When comparing brands against each other, you really need to get some hands on with them, as most people prefer one brande over the rest, for example, I have Canon, and can't see myself ever switching to anything else (partly because they are the best, and partly because of the investment I have in lenses!)

If you go with Canon, check out www.photography-on-the.net/forum or actually, you can learn a lot about photography in general there, as most of the stuff isn't brand specific, just don't tell them you use Nikon if that's what you choose! There are MANY tutorials, and discussions about almost anything photo that you can think of! Another good resource is www.fredmiranda.com dame deal, except not brand specific.

I was feeling a bit overwhelmed with the issue. Im not sure what you mean by the midrange hybrid?

A midrange hybrid is what I've seen called "DSLR-like" in many places. It's not just a "box", but it had a lens that protrudes. They have better lenses inside, and usually better photo sensors.

I say go buy a canon G11 it's pocket sized and it has a beautiful auto feature and if you want to spend the time to learn how to properly use it the options are still there. Did I mention this is all in a pocket sized configuration? And you will not have to worry about 500 different lens options.

I say go buy a canon G11 it's pocket sized and it has a beautiful auto feature and if you want to spend the time to learn how to properly use it the options are still there. Did I mention this is all in a pocket sized configuration? And you will not have to worry about 500 different lens options.

The 500 lens options is what I like the most about the SLR! There is no P&S out there that can cover the focal length of 2 good zooms at nearly the same level. I often find a need to shoot in low light, and the 2.8 aperature of my 2 most used zooms, or my cheap-o 50mm f/1.8 cannot be compared to any P&S.

That said, they HAVE come a long way with the P&S cameras, and they do get usable shots that used to only be attainable with a SLR..... Still prefer my SLR for the control though.

One thing to do might be get a decent point and shoot, and learn about all the settings, and what they do, and how they effect the pictures you take, then if you want an SLR, you'll still have use for the P&S for keeping with you when you don't want to carry the SLR (riding the bike?) I'm still wanting a good P&S to keep with me, as I would take MANY more shots than I do now, due to the burden of the size and weight of the SLR.

I'm a professional photographer by trade. Point and shoots, plus the hybrid type cameras, really are crap. They do what they do well, which is fit in your pocket. I shoot Nikon gear. That said, I'd suggest Canon or Sony for the entry level. Nikon for the higher levels. PM if you want my opinions why. Cheers-

If youve got an old canon consider Canon's Loyalty program and trade-in options.

Check out this thread for more info.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/849344/?start=0

Ive troubled between a DSLR and P&S also. I like the portability of a P&S...something that can fit in my coat pocket or jeans is awesome. Its all dependent on what you want to do.

I'm a professional photographer by trade. Point and shoots, plus the hybrid type cameras, really are crap. They do what they do well, which is fit in your pocket. I shoot Nikon gear. That said, I'd suggest Canon or Sony for the entry level. Nikon for the higher levels. PM if you want my opinions why. Cheers-

See what I mean about brand loyalty?

There are areas that Nikons are better, but for my purposes, personal, prosumer use, Canon is good, all around.

Nikon? Really? Have you been :drink::lol:

Please don't turn this into a N vs C battle though, I'm just messin!!!

See what I mean about brand loyalty?

There are areas that Nikons are better, but for my purposes, personal, prosumer use, Canon is good, all around.

Nikon? Really? Have you been :drink::lol:

Please don't turn this into a N vs C battle though, I'm just messin!!!

Reason #1 being I broke a Canon in 8 weeks shooting professionally. 8 weeks. And yes, I've been drinking. But not when shooting- just now though...

The best camera in the world...

Is the one you have with you the moment you need it. Regardless of cost.

;)

The 500 lens options is what I like the most about the SLR! There is no P&S out there that can cover the focal length of 2 good zooms at nearly the same level. I often find a need to shoot in low light, and the 2.8 aperature of my 2 most used zooms, or my cheap-o 50mm f/1.8 cannot be compared to any P&S.

That said, they HAVE come a long way with the P&S cameras, and they do get usable shots that used to only be attainable with a SLR..... Still prefer my SLR for the control though.

One thing to do might be get a decent point and shoot, and learn about all the settings, and what they do, and how they effect the pictures you take, then if you want an SLR, you'll still have use for the P&S for keeping with you when you don't want to carry the SLR (riding the bike?) I'm still wanting a good P&S to keep with me, as I would take MANY more shots than I do now, due to the burden of the size and weight of the SLR.

I'm not saying I don't want the 500 different lenses to chose from I love lense options and what lenses can do fir your shooting style. But it sounds like we have someone who really doesn't want to mess with that kind of thing.

It sounded like he was looking for a great P&S rather than the SLR's he was listing off.

And RFM the only way I know how to break a canon is to drop it off a cliff... Your nikon on the other hand.... :D