Buying a new car out of state?

ohdaho

Anybody here know how to buy a new car out of state, but have it registered outside of the state youre buying it from?

I want to buy a car from Illinois, but my home of record is Texas. I want to register the car in Texas not Illinois. Ive tried looking on google, but got vague answers everywhere.

Not sure how the dealership will react to this or how exactly they would do this.

• 1 month later...

Thread bump for any extra advice for someone... like if someone was to buy a bike from IL, have it delivered to NEOhio... the person should pay NEO sales tax, but should it go to the IL dealer, or DMV at time of registration?

I think I've thoroughly research this stuff and hate to miss something glaringly obvious ... It'll need inspected and OH taxes paid for registration... anything else?

What recourse would someone have if the delivered bike wasn't satisfactory or misrepresented (excess mileage on the odo over advertised, scratches, dings, etc)?

When I was in the military, I bought a car at a dealership in CA but had it titled/registered in Ohio. The BMV here just wanted to see a receipt that I paid taxes on it and then I didn't have to pay OH taxes. Don't know if that's how it should be done, but that's how it was done.

Bought a car from SC and all you will have to do is get a tag and slap it on the car to drive home. Doubtful they will issue you a temp tag as it will be registered in another state.

However, with a dealership, the shop will set it up to get your registration complete for the state you will be in. You will get the title sent to you all Notorized and setup so you can go to the title office and get a title for your state. Then go to the DMV and get the registration complete... Easy.

In Ohio, you have a few days or so to get the title transfered between cars. So, take the tag off your current car and put it on the new one and drive home. If you get pulled over, tell them you sold the car the plate is assigned to and just bought the one you are driving. You'll have proof of that and as far as the other car, they can't tell if it was sold or not...

Damn way to bring up an old thread.

I got my new cage in Illinois. Didnt pay any taxes at the point of sale. It had a 30 day temp tag on it. I was going home to Texas a couple of weeks later and just paid taxes and registration then.

Thanks for the input tho.

My bad...

JRm i just saw your post.

Hopefully you didnt pay in full and signed all the paperwork prior to delivery. After that point I imagine it's your bike as long as the VIN matches the paperwork.

When I bought my car I had it delivered from CA to the IL dealership with just a deposit. Once the car arrived, I drove to IL to inspect the car and sign the paperwork.