Garmin vs. TomTom--Questions/Comparisons

Fonzie

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also... Wifey was just commenting she wished her Garmin gave her option of GoogleMap type driving directions.... i.e listed all at once with drive time e.t.a, that she could look at before leaving to familiarize herself with the route. Says she gets the e.t.a, but it only feeds her directions one step at a time.

Is that possible, and we're just not finding where the option is?

My cell phone (Sprint, Samsung Instinct) even does that! The software is crap otherwise, and get's lost and tells you to turn around when you're going the right way, but it will give you a turn by turn!

Did you name it? Like Lola or Mariah?

No silly, Al Gore owns all the satellites. In fact, he invented them:nono:

Ok, ok. A quick threadjack (worse than it is already) I saw a show about Johnny Cash on Bio channel the other night, and good ole Al Gore was one of the people they had talking about him! :lol:

I just found it a bit odd. So, I guess Al invented the music industry, too?

I can't say if the TomTom is the best or not, but I do know that I love mine and that anyone who owns one and uses it on their bike NEEDS to go to this site and download this program: http://www.janboersma.nl/gett/

Lets you use Google Maps to plot out routes and upload them to your TomTom. I've been using this program to map rides for 2 seasons now, and I love it. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but the sheer number of good riding roads here in Ohio (and the fact that they are all just named a bunch of route numbers) is fairly overwhelming to me. Being able to sit down at my computer and piece together routes using peoples road suggestions rather than trying to do it by memory WHILE riding has been awesome :) And it sure as hell beats scribbling the route down on a map and taping it to my tank. Plus, all it takes is one quick glance down at the GPS and I know whether that blind turn coming up is just a gentle 60-mph sweeper or a decreasing-radius hairpin.

I do like VZ Navigator on my Envy cell. Turn by turn directions. But then someone always calls me right when it's going to get tricky. never fails....

I'd buy whatever Gps has a hot southern bell voice.

I work in car audio at Best Buy and Garmin IS the top of the line. Then comes tom tom

What's the criteria you're basing that statement on?

Choice may have been made easier for me tonight

We were checkin' at WallyWorld where she got it, and mine's back up to regular price of $140. Hers is the Nuvi w/ 3.5" screen, which is now down to $99. I can't see payin' an extra $10 for a smaller screen, just because it's a Garmin.

Edited by Fonzie

Here's the one she got me.....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12548190&adid=1500000000000012552680#ProductDetail

The TomTom XL 325SE Silver Edition 4.3" Portable GPS offers easy-to-use widescreen navigation. It comes preloaded with a US map that includes Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico. You are guided from door-to-door with spoken instructions, including street names.

TomTom XL 325SE Silver Edition 4.3" Portable GPS:

• Map Share lets you modify your own U.S. map and benefit from others' verified changes
  • Announces turn-by-turn directions aloud, including street and place names.
  • Fold & Go EasyPort mount folds neatly onto the back of the device, so both are small enough to fit into your pocket or bag
  • 4.3" touchscreen
  • Plug & Go lets you enter an address on the screen and start driving with spoken turn-by-turn instructions
  • Preloaded points of interest include millions of gas stations, restaurants, hotels, and more
  • Latest map guarantee lets you download one complimentary update to your map if one is available during your first 30 days of use
  • Help Me! emergency menu to access local emergency providers such as police, fire stations, and hospitals
  • TomTom Home ensures that your TomTom is always up to date and access additional features with this free software application
  • Traffic-ready for an optional RDS-TMS traffic receiver accessory that can keep you informed on traffic events to minimize potential delays
  • Optional fuel price service finds the lowest priced gas on your route, with directions

I'm tryin' to figure out what the difference between the non "SE" for $20 more, & mine are??

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11070556&findingMethod=rr

• The TomTom XL 325 is easy to use widescreen navigation and comes preloaded with maps of the US. Guides you door-to-door with spoken instructions and 3D graphics. And extra-wide touchscreen helps you find your way, worry-free.
  • Maps of US with TomTom Map Share: Modify your own map and benefit from others verified changes with TomTom Map Share
  • Fold & Go EasyPort Mount: The Fold & Go EasyPort mount folds neatly onto the back of the device, so both are small enough to fit into your pocket or bag
  • Spoken Instructions - Turn-by-turn spoken instructions are announced loudly and clearly.
  • 4.3" Touchscreen
  • Plug & Go: Switch on and go right out of the box - just enter the address on the screen and start driving
  • TomTom guides you door-to-door with spoken turn-by-turn instructions.
  • Preloaded Points of Interest: Easily find millions of gas stations, restaurants, hotels and more on your route
  • 30-Day Latest Map Guarantee: When you start using your TomTom, if a newer map release is available you can download one complimentary update to your map within 30 days from the time you first start using your TomTom device. This latest map guarantee is available via TomTom HOME
  • Help Me! Emergency Menu: Easily access local emergency providers such as police, fire stations and hospitals
  • TomTom HOME: Ensure that your TomTom is always up to date and access additional features with this free software application.
  • Traffic Ready: Optional RDS-TMC traffic receiver accessory keeps your up-to-date on traffic events to minimize potential delays.
  • Fuel Price Service optional service: With TomTom Fuel Price Service, your TomTom finds the lowest priced gas on your route and points you to it
  • 4.3" inch full TFT color LCD (480 x 272 pixels, supports 64K colors)
  • Dimensions: 4.7" x 3.2" x 0.9"
  • Weight: 6.6 ounces (including mount)
  • Includes Fold & Go EasyPort mount, Car Charger, USB cable for charging and computer connection, Dashboard mounting disk, Documentation

Edited by Fonzie

I'm tryin' to figure out what the difference between the non "SE" for $20 more, & mine are??

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11070556&findingMethod=rr

• The TomTom XL 325 is easy to use widescreen navigation and comes preloaded with maps of the US. Guides you door-to-door with spoken instructions and 3D graphics. And extra-wide touchscreen helps you find your way, worry-free.
  • Maps of US with TomTom Map Share: Modify your own map and benefit from others verified changes with TomTom Map Share
  • Fold & Go EasyPort Mount: The Fold & Go EasyPort mount folds neatly onto the back of the device, so both are small enough to fit into your pocket or bag
  • Spoken Instructions - Turn-by-turn spoken instructions are announced loudly and clearly.
  • 4.3" Touchscreen
  • Plug & Go: Switch on and go right out of the box - just enter the address on the screen and start driving
  • TomTom guides you door-to-door with spoken turn-by-turn instructions.
  • Preloaded Points of Interest: Easily find millions of gas stations, restaurants, hotels and more on your route
  • 30-Day Latest Map Guarantee: When you start using your TomTom, if a newer map release is available you can download one complimentary update to your map within 30 days from the time you first start using your TomTom device. This latest map guarantee is available via TomTom HOME
  • Help Me! Emergency Menu: Easily access local emergency providers such as police, fire stations and hospitals
  • TomTom HOME: Ensure that your TomTom is always up to date and access additional features with this free software application.
  • Traffic Ready: Optional RDS-TMC traffic receiver accessory keeps your up-to-date on traffic events to minimize potential delays.
  • Fuel Price Service optional service: With TomTom Fuel Price Service, your TomTom finds the lowest priced gas on your route and points you to it
  • 4.3" inch full TFT color LCD (480 x 272 pixels, supports 64K colors)
  • Dimensions: 4.7" x 3.2" x 0.9"
  • Weight: 6.6 ounces (including mount)
  • Includes Fold & Go EasyPort mount, Car Charger, USB cable for charging and computer connection, Dashboard mounting disk, Documentation

The SE. or "special" edition, gives you a happy ending when you get to your destination.

Really? Does the government know of this claim? I thought the government owned the GPS satellites?

Your right I had a Garmin bias source of that. Maybe it's the Software they pioneered.. useless speculations..i have..

This is informational though..

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPSGuideforBeginners_Manual.pdf