Motorcycle insurance reminder

scottb

Make sure you have an updated (current) card indicating you have valid insurance for your motorcycle. I am heading out for a quick ride and I checked my insurance card. I have insurance all year round, but the actual card to keep in the wallet was 2 years old. I figure it is a nice day and late in the year, the LEOs might be out giving extra attention to motorcyclists today. Also, check your car insurance card too.

I am planning on riding river road, then stop in Chagrin falls. I'll be on my 1982 GS 850 L, since Jayson L bought my Katana.

thank you..That reminded me to switch my insurance to comp only for storage.

Can't have comp only on a motorcycle I think, Ohio requires liability limits for valid registration.

You can, however, always re-evaluate your limits and deductibles.

Just my opinion, doesn't represent any company I work for, and I am not a licensed agent or a lawyer.

Liability is only a requirement when you're operating the motorcycle.

Comp only is fine for winter storage / off - seasons.

There's a difference between Comp only, and storage policies. To maintain Ohio registration you must comply with the FR laws

Financial Responsibility Requirements

To comply with the FR requirements, Individuals must maintain one (1) of the following:

• A motorist liability insurance policy. Insurance cards are issued by an insurer to the policy holder for each motor vehicle insured under a motor vehicle liability insurance policy;

Typically to get a Comp only policy you have to state the vehicle use is "Long Term Storage" this isn't 4 months of the year, if you keep swapping between Comp only and a full policy you're LIKELY eligible to be dropped from some insurance carriers since it's gaming the system.

I'm not familiar with Geico's Comp only policies, and I couldn't find anything about it on the website. Gump, could you send me a copy of your dec page or the policy contract? I'd love to see what they have, I have my MC insurance with Progressive but Geico was about the same rate.

As always, my opinion is my own, does not represent the company I work for. I'm not a lawyer or an insurance agent.

Sure. I can send it when i get it. They are calling me back tomorrow. I get a $53ish credit also.

Note, you don't have to answer any of my questions btw.

Are you with an agent? It sounds like it since you mention them calling you back.

I'm very interested in hearing about the program :) Remember BIPD limit in Ohio is 12.5/25/7.5 and uninsured motorist is not required... reducing all policy limits to minimum and keeping Comp/Coll is super cheap with almost all carriers... I know my policy won't go lower than $95 if I set those limits (particularly UM)

Here's my policy summary, coverage, limit, price

As you can see, UM is 33% of my premium (note I reject UMPD because Coll covers you there). Even though I have health insurance I keep medpay because it should help to pay for things like life flight and other various crap...

2004 Kawas

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY $27.00

BI $100,000 EACH PERSON - $300,000 EACH ACCIDENT

PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $50,000 EACH ACCIDENT

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $2,500 EACH PERSON $19.00

COMPREHENSIVE $500 DEDUCTIBLE $11.00

COLLISION $500 DEDUCTIBLE $57.00

ACCESSORY COVERAGE $3,000 INCL

ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE $10.00

UNINSURED MOTORIST PROPERTY DAMAGE - REJECTED

Premium by Vehicle $124.00

Policy Level Coverage

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Bi $55.00

$50,000 Each Person - $100,000 Each Accident

Total Policy Premium $179.00

My own opinion and policy, I am not an agent or a lawyer.

Hey Likwid, can I PM you a ? I have?

Back OT, I have Progressive, and they "say" the rates factor in the seasonal nature of riding in Ohio, and I think that's why they bill by the year as well.

Yah, but remember I can't offer any advice outside of just another consumer/biker :)

I am a progressive customer, they used to offer a policy with 9 month on and 3 month off for the winter. Progressive cancelled that policy option, and now it is all year round. I have not price shopped Geico or Foremost insurance for insurance policies.