Deer season starts tomorrow

SAMBUSA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i planned on hunting your woods but your greedy butt said NO lol... let me know if you harvest one so i can come poach your woods and get one, otherwise ill be on state land getting shot at by amatuers. if i die due to a hunting incident i already blame you sam! lol

:D Sorry bro. You're not alone. I've told loooong time friends that they cant hunt there either. If I let one friend then all the others that have asked will expect to be able to hunt there. I am indeed greedy and keep the good hunting ground to myself:p Saw 2 this morning but it was still too dark and they were too far away.

Scott, ever hunt the traction line? It's public property and the deer population is usually pretty good. Not very many people hunt it anymore either.

Wasn't deer hunting "created" to thin deer populations since they were crazy over-populated... if folks are having a hard time finding deer maybe they should reevaluate the limits and season?

This all reminds me of a Futurama episode

The deer population is extremely over populated, they just weren't out running much today.

And I think deer hunting was "created" as a means of survival. ;)

The deer population is extremely over populated, they just weren't out running much today.

lol, I meant modern hunting... NOONE around here is hunting for survival anymore...

It's all good though, you make sense :)

I think the solution is to do away with hunting, and instead determine exactly how many deer need to be thinned and then have them prepared and used for the homeless and/or people on food stamps.

Money for professional hunter/trappers, money for animal processors, and cheaper food stamp spending. Con is reduced income from hunting licenses and the outrage from no hunting :)

lol, I meant modern hunting... NOONE around here is hunting for survival anymore...

It's all good though, you make sense :)

I think the solution is to do away with hunting, and instead determine exactly how many deer need to be thinned and then have them prepared and used for the homeless and/or people on food stamps.

Money for professional hunter/trappers, money for animal processors, and cheaper food stamp spending. Con is reduced income from hunting licenses and the outrage from no hunting :)

Go hug a tree......

I use to go every chance I got, but lost the land we use to hunt on. Friend of the family had a divorce and the wife got the land and no more hunting. Tried public land for the next season before my brother-in-law was shot at and that ended it for me. So I have been sitting it out for a few years wishing I could find a good place to hunt again. Guy I work with has some great land but like others will not let anyone hunt it.

Wasn't deer hunting "created" to thin deer populations since they were crazy over-populated... if folks are having a hard time finding deer maybe they should reevaluate the limits and season?

This all reminds me of a Futurama episode

I've never hunted, but the deer population is insane anymore Matt. I remember my uncle going all season with nothing, 30 years ago way up in rural Michigan, & that wasn't uncommon back then. Now... Few years ago OH added a bonus week 'cause the population still wasn't thinned to their liking, & guys are quiting partway through 'cause they've already bagged their limit. I think they had estimated like 800,000+ in OH that year

Saw more deer in my 3+ years on the railroad, then in the 33 prior to that! Even saw a deer in Columbus last year coming home from bike night, on the 8 lane interstate, just waiting to dart out in front of us. Talk about making your bunghole pucker!! :mad:

I've heard when it's still relatively warm like this last few weeks, with no snow, the deer just hunker down & don't move around as much for food or warmth, thereby making it harder for the hunters to get good looks

Edited by Fonzie

Go hug a tree......

No shit! WTF Likwid?

I do know of people who hunt deer to survive. You just dont know enough poor people.

Also, some not so poor people like the extremely lean meat. Its too healthy for welfare rats, they wont eat it.

Likwid, I hope your talkng about Hunting within city limits in metro parks maybe where it's a little dangerous,and not in general..

If your on welfare, be responsible and no more kids and get drug tested to receive benefits and birth control. It's the beginning of a solution.

P.s. i just passed up another little Doe then shot and missed 3 times at one running threw my horse field at 100 yards.

anybody do the Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry program? just saw something about this online and was curious.

Nope, do they pay for processing? then i would. My neighbor with a nuisance kill permit donates his to needy families around the county. They take it and butcher it themselves. Can't afford to pay someone.

I've never hunted, but the deer population is insane anymore Matt. I remember my uncle going all season with nothing, 30 years ago way up in rural Michigan, & that wasn't uncommon back then. Now... Few years ago OH added a bonus week 'cause the population still wasn't thinned to their liking, & guys are quiting partway through 'cause they've already bagged their limit. I think they had estimated like 800,000+ in OH that year

Saw more deer in my 3+ years on the railroad, then in the 33 prior to that! Even saw a deer in Columbus last year coming home from bike night, on the 8 lane interstate, just waiting to dart out in front of us. Talk about making your bunghole pucker!! :mad:

I've heard when it's still relatively warm like this last few weeks, with no snow, the deer just hunker down & don't move around as much for food or warmth, thereby making it harder for the hunters to get good looks

The deer population is still high. I still see a LOT of deer out here, see MANY cars come in for body work from deer hits (3 in the past week, and we're a small shop!)

The deer are one reason I haven't been riding. Since they're moving more, and jumping out, it just scares the crap out of me. I had the butthole pucker going on a few months ago when one was just standing in the middle of the road as I was coming around a gradual curve (no leaning involved) in a place that I've never seen them before, after driving that stretch of road a couple times a day for about 8 years. :eek: I started scanning the sides of the road more aggressively, immediately!

Nope, do they pay for processing? then i would. My neighbor with a nuisance kill permit donates his to needy families around the county. They take it and butcher it themselves. Can't afford to pay someone.

That's a very good idea there! The ones that are going to butcher it themselves are probably the ones that aren't as lazy, possibly have jobs, or are realistically looking for jobs, if I had to guess. Ya know, the kind of people that take it as a "Hand-up", not a handout....

No shit! WTF Likwid?

I do know of people who hunt deer to survive. You just dont know enough poor people.

Also, some not so poor people like the extremely lean meat. Its too healthy for welfare rats, they wont eat it.

Come on man, $1.50/lb for ground beef versus hunting equipment/supplies/licenses?

What poor people can afford a $100 shotgun? Come on, would be more cost efficient to buy 66 pounds of beef!

I use to go every chance I got, but lost the land we use to hunt on. Friend of the family had a divorce and the wife got the land and no more hunting. Tried public land for the next season before my brother-in-law was shot at and that ended it for me. So I have been sitting it out for a few years wishing I could find a good place to hunt again. Guy I work with has some great land but like others will not let anyone hunt it.

i want lease land ,looking for one or two guys to split the cost.its in delaware county next to state park.

Come on man, $1.50/lb for ground beef versus hunting equipment/supplies/licenses?

What poor people can afford a $100 shotgun? Come on, would be more cost efficient to buy 66 pounds of beef!

Who said anything about hunting supplies and licenses'? Bullets are cheaper than hamburger. There are people who hunt year round without a bunch of nonsense Cabellas shit for survival. Get out of the city and look. They are not hard to spot.