114 members have voted

1. 1. Should HB191 be passed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be missing something, but I've been reading http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_191 and I cannot find the "inconsistent with normal driving" clause that we're all worried about.

Sec. 4511.251.
(A)
(1)
As used in this section and section 4510.036 of the Revised Code, "street racing" means the operation of two or more vehicles from a point side by side at accelerating speeds in a competitive attempt to out-distance each other or the operation of one or more vehicles over a common selected course, from the same point to the same point, wherein timing is made of the participating vehicles involving competitive accelerations or speeds.
(
Begin Delete:
Persons rendering assistance in any manner to such competitive use of vehicles shall be equally charged as the participants. The
:End Delete
)

(2) The
operation of two or more vehicles side by side either at speeds in excess of prima-facie lawful speeds established by divisions (B)(1)(a) to (B)(8) of section 4511.21 of the Revised Code or rapidly accelerating from a common starting point to a speed in excess of such prima-facie lawful speeds shall be prima-facie evidence of street racing.

Did that get dropped by the house?

Edited by Scruit

I may be missing something, but I've been reading http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_191 and I cannot find the "inconsistent with normal driving" clause that we're all worried about.

Did that get dropped by the house?

Good question. Did it get dropped? This is what it said:

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=128_HB_191&hf=analyses128/h0191-i-128.htm

The bill expands the definition of "street racing" to also include "any exhibition of speed or acceleration that is inconsistent with the normal operation of a vehicle on a public road, street, or highway." In addition, the bill provides that persons rendering assistance or encouragement in any form or manner to the defined competitive use of vehicles must be equally charged as participants (bill's additions to existing law are in italics).

Seeing that the italicized portion is the changed portion, there's not much of a change at all. It looks to me that it's not different enough from exisiting laws to worry about.

As I've said before, I don't think I'll be worrying much about it, as most LEO's won't even know of this, unless we tell them! The one that I was talking to about this hadn't heard anything of it, and he stays pretty well up to date on stuff.

Seeing that the italicized portion is the changed portion, there's not much of a change at all. It looks to me that it's not different enough from exisiting laws to worry about.

As I've said before, I don't think I'll be worrying much about it, as most LEO's won't even know of this, unless we tell them! The one that I was talking to about this hadn't heard anything of it, and he stays pretty well up to date on stuff.

The changes in the as-passed version are not as great a concern as the originally proposed changes (whcih would have defined "street racing" as any "acceleration inconsistent with normal driving" or thereabouts) :eek:

Not sure if I understand the ban on nitrous though. What is the differenciator between nitrous or an aftermarket supercharger? Why single out one power-adder and not the others? Are they going to ban aftermarket superchargers and turbos? What about owm? What about replacing an OEM turbo with a better turbo? What about adding an intercooler? Fancy spark plugs??

Am I gonna become Bubba's play-thing because of my K&N filter??

Edited by Scruit

Not sure if I understand the ban on nitrous though. What is the differenciator between nitrous or an aftermarket supercharger? Why single out one power-adder and not the others? Are they going to ban aftermarket superchargers and turbos? What about owm? What about replacing an OEM turbo with a better turbo? What about adding an intercooler? Fancy spark plugs??

Am I gonna become Bubba's play-thing because of my K&N filter??

Not sure if you're even serious here, but "NOS" is nitrous oxide. Its usually stored in a highly pressurized bottle and is extremely volatile. Your super/turbo charger isn't going to turn into a bomb if you crash or your car catches fire.

They are not singling out NOS because of the risk of explosion. They are singling it out because of it's association with street racing. Are enough people injured of killed in nitrous explosions to make it worth passing a law??

So, if we accept that the ban on nitrous is not in response to the risk of nitrous explosions, then we have to ask why they want to ban nitrous.

Are they trying to prevent people from adding power to their cars? If so then why would they ban nitrous and not ban aftermarket superchargers? (both are potent power-adders) What other power adders will they ban?

Just a reply to follow status on the bill - hear is the reply from Columbus ---

I received your e-mail expressing your support for House Bill 191, which would increase the penalties for street racing. I appreciate you taking the time to contact me on this issue.

House Bill 191 has been assigned to the Senate Judiciary Criminal Justice Committee where it will undergo further debate. Please know I value your suggestions and look forward to working with my colleagues should this legislation come before me in the Ohio Senate.

Again, thank you for your e-mail. I encourage you to contact me should you have additional concerns on this or any other issue facing Ohio .

Sincerely,

Jon A. Husted

Senator

6th District

----------------------------------------

MD

nitrous isnt going to turn into a bomb....1. its not flamable, 2. the bottle has a relief in it, or a blowdown tube to prevent these situations

the only time nitrous explodes is when you have dumbasses who heat their bottles with a torch and weaken the metal... if a soft spot occurs it could cause the bottle to explode under extreme pressure....thats why bottles need to be tested and certified....if handled properly, nitrous is not harmful

nitrous backfires that explode under the hood are from puddled fuel, which would be caused by some other mechanical failure, not by the nitrous itself

dumb fucks like this guy, are what give nitrous a bad rap.... see what happens when youre not responsible about the bottle you store in your car??

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=143862

Edited by Steve Butters

It may not be flammable in and of itself, however it will make any existing fire burn hotter/faster.

Still, if they were concerned about nitrous explosions in cars then they would ban notrous completely, not just on street. It's a kneejerk reaction to recent street racing deaths. Nitrous smacks of street racing therefore we'll ban nitrous.

Are people who've already spent money on these system granfathered? Some of these multiport systems can thousands of dollars when you consider the cost of tuning. Heck, even a single port kist costs over $500. Are those folks going to have to rip their systems out now? I thought if you banned a physical thing that was previously legal you had to grandfather the folks who already had them (such as the now-sunset AWB)

They're banning it becuase of guilt-by-association, not because the thing they are banning is enough of a danger to other people that the right of the drive to own the system is outweighed by the public safety aspect. People street race with, and without nitrous - concentrating on the tools of the crime is historically folly. If you want to stop street racing then attack street racing directly.