Ammo for your carry gun

Lost

I was actually going to comment on your comment about birdshot earlier but I got caught up in everything else going on... I thought you may not react so well when EVERY post was about how I thought you could improve :) lol

But yes, I did the EXACT same thing, I bought birdshot first thinking it was a great idea... then read that exact paragraph and went to the store to buy 00 buckshot.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are "Epic Fail" at pop culture trivia' date=' my friend.[/quote']

Yeah, I guess i missed it. But seeing that apparently there are OR members that carry because it is cool, it is not far fetched to think those same people moght think the "double tap" as being ok. I don't follow pop culture trivia at all, there are better things to follow. :D

Also, to add another source to your research, you MUST read this website if you're doing research on carry rounds and penetration.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/theboxotruth.htm

remember, your PERFECT round depends on situation (as walther and others have mentioned)....

For most you want (in no particular order)

expansion - will it expand the same EVERY time?

penetration - will it penetrate through clothing and NOT exit the BG's body (anything with an exit wound means your round had too much power, that energy beyond your target is wasted kinetic energy, and a liability risk)

reliability - If the round won't fire, or loads improperly it's worthless and dangerous

Generally the "perfect round" depends highly on your needs and your weapon... but I'd argue there is no such thing as "the perfect" round.

Cool link Likwid.

It is all about balance.

Bird shot would not penetrate multiple layers of dry wall, It also won't penetrate to vital organs.

A question you have to ask yourself is, how will the bad guy react to being popped by a bunch of bird shot. The likely hood of a killing shot is lower, but I bet he is on the ground. Is it worth risking your life over? Just things to think about.

It is all about balance.

Bird shot would not penetrate multiple layers of dry wall, It also won't penetrate to vital organs.

A question you have to ask yourself is, how will the bad guy react to being popped by a bunch of bird shot. The likely hood of a killing shot is lower, but I bet he is on the ground. Is it worth risking your life over? Just things to think about.

well I argue the sound of a shotgun being racked should be sufficient in most cases to scare people off :-D

Also, because this is such great information for CCW, check out the Buick of Truth... really good information for if you have to defend yourself while in your vehicle.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

Okay, I got this off of Likwid's link. Since we were discussing farngible rounds I found this very interesting.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot23.htm

"The second ammo was "9MM 85AFR, R2LP-Air Freedom Round". This round will "reduced over-penetration and reduced ricochet characteristics of these rounds are nothing short of revolutionary. Over-penetration is minimized as the complete energy of the AFR bullet, including the fragmented bullet itself are typically contained within the target. .... The ExtremeShock™ AFR round disintegrates when it hits hard targets such as many interior walls and airplane skins, but retains astonishing stopping power on organic targets." Additionally they say, "is the best choice for home or urban carry. The rounds frangible and reduced ricochet characteristics provide a greater level of safety. A miss on a target won't penetrate through several walls, and potentially injure a sleeping family member."

"Lastly a round of ES-R2LP-Air Freedom Round. It penetrated 4 boards and bounced off the 5th."

Then;

"We set up the box with a gallon of water first and followed by one "wall" of spaced drywall boards. This would indicate what happened if the rounds met resistance and then had a wall behind them."

"It blew up the jug and then bounced off the "wall"."

I put some highlights, but you really need to click the link.

Well, you need to click through to the water jug test and the results

2. Claim: They are supposed to be able to penetrate a bad guy enough to be effective Stoppers.

Findings: Both the Fang Face and Air Freedom rounds only fully penetrated 1 jug and slightly entered the second jug.

This is equilivant of 3 or 4 inches of penetration in ballistic gelatin. Some experts have doubts that this is enough penetration to reach the vital organs of a bad guy.

Also, he tested the SXTs we've been talking about
It penetrated 3 jugs, or approximately 10 inches of ballistic gelatin.

It expanded just as expected.

23-15.jpg

I'd trust my life to that :)

I wouldn't trust my life to this.

23-16.jpg

or this

23-17.jpg

Edited by Likwid

I just read all this info! I carry powerball in my xd9sc. I also have some of the corbon dpx in my house gun next to my 12ga with 00 buck in it.

You know, I was thinking about you when I posted some earlier stuff... I'd be interested in testing that powerball stuff out...

If we could only find some farm land and some 1 gallon jugs we could get this shit settled once and for all! :)

well I argue the sound of a shotgun being racked should be sufficient in most cases to scare people off :-D

This could possibly be the dumbest statement in this whole thread.

I don't see why I can't be cool because I carry what's wrong with being cool? You guys WAY over think things.

As far as bird shot goes... I give you one 78 year old Harry Whittington.

He was shot in the face with birdshot by Dick Cheney and still survived.

With all this gun talk, I remembered that I forgot to update my original TDI post a few weeks ago. I went and took courses 2 (over again) and level 3 for the first time. With all this talk about home defense... level 3 was awesome because they teach you firing from cover, slicing the pie in rooms, and you go through live fire houses engaging multiple targets. Definitely worth checking out!