Any recommendations for Speakers for the bike?

Tbone9191

Yeah, I knew as soon as I hit the post button that I would be getting things about a helmet but I don't wear a full face helmet so I am looking for something that is handlebar mounted.

Then you REALLY need to talk to magley64.

Yeah, I knew as soon as I hit the post button that I would be getting things about a helmet but I don't wear a full face helmet so I am looking for something that is handlebar mounted.

Yeah, THAT's why I chimed in on this thread! The FIL's speakers are handlebar mounted, but I have NO idea what they are, other than he plug his iPod into them!

some of us wear cheap Skull Candy ear buds, and it doesn't matter what type of helmet. They are passive noise canceling. No electronics, they work like ear plugs to kill road noise. The sound quality is very good. 11 to 15 bucks. Sometimes on sale at Target.

some of us wear cheap Skull Candy ear buds, and it doesn't matter what type of helmet. They are passive noise canceling. No electronics, they work like ear plugs to kill road noise. The sound quality is very good. 11 to 15 bucks. Sometimes on sale at Target.

wouldn't these pull out while putting a full-face on?

Moose linked the ones I use...

They were easy to hook up, and are guaranteed waterproof. I had one fail due to water damage, (epic downpour) and they sent me a new one free (and fast).

100 watt amp works well enough that i can hear my ipod pretty clear with my full face helmet up to about 70 mph, beyond that the wind noise takes over...

without a helmet or with a half helmet you can probably hear it pretty clear beyond that.

I was under the impression that having ear phones on was illegal?! Any truth to this?

Technically it is. You are allowed to have only one ear phone in use. The question is how many LEO's even know this, or even care? I'm willing to bet that if you're going to get a ticket for this, you're getting a much more serious ticket with it.

Technically it is. You are allowed to have only one ear phone in use. The question is how many LEO's even know this, or even care? I'm willing to bet that if you're going to get a ticket for this, you're getting a much more serious ticket with it.

You would think so, but I got a ticket for it in Butler county driving from cinci to Dayton. I was so pissed! I guess the cop saw them in my ears (driving the car), and honked at me. I glanced at him but then went back to looking at the road, because we were in heavy traffic. He pulled me over and ticketed me. F'in douche! it was a state traffic cop with nothing better to do, I guess

You would think so, but I got a ticket for it in Butler county driving from cinci to Dayton. I was so pissed! I guess the cop saw them in my ears (driving the car), and honked at me. I glanced at him but then went back to looking at the road, because we were in heavy traffic. He pulled me over and ticketed me. F'in douche! it was a state traffic cop with nothing better to do, I guess

That's the first I've heard of anyone actually getting ticketed for it! I have been wondering if anyone ever has! I have to say, I think that the LEO that writes that ticket would be a bit overbearing, and not at all compassionate.

Were you ticketed for anything else? Sort of the mentallity of he had good reason to ticket you and not let you off with a warning for something else, so gonna tack on that one too?

Yeah, it's one ear only. Ear plugs are the same deal. Cars get ticketed for headphones, but motorcycles seem to be left alone. And yeah, most law enforcement don't know it's illegal under the helmet. See, there's a reason to wear a helmet. Technically, they can't see under the helmet. So there is no evidence, other than non substantial. Like two wires going into the helmet. So unless you're being pulled over for something else (and take your helmet off), it's a non issue.

btw, the way the law reads, speakers that are built into the helmet are legal. Go figure. It also states that illegal use of headphones must cover the ears or plug the ears.

ummmm, doesn't the helmet cover the ears? Isn't that one big ear plug? There's no exception for deaf people, or people who can hear in only one ear. What if they have something in that one ear or can't hear? Would it matter if a deaf person had earplugs in? Wouldn't being deaf be the same thing in the first place as well? I'm full of questions tonight.