Sould I buy a Suzuki SV1000S??

ShankroidBeast

Okay, long story short I've recently got back into biking after about an 11 year absence. Rode my fist bike when I was 12. Owned my first bike at 16 and have had some kind of 2 wheeled transportation off and on over the years and I'm 42 now. Last year I bought a 95 Magna and absolutely love it and don't plan on selling it.

Been looking for another bike for several months now. Something I can get my rush on and also take to the track, both drag and road. Decided on a liter bike or that level of performance.

When I ride on the street, 90% of the time I don't go over the speed limit, I'm always in full leathers, even in the summer. But I'm not without temptation. If I'm on a back road and with nobody in front or behind I'll take it to the redline to get my rush. The way I see it, if I fail, I'm the only one that gets hurt. Same goes for back country twisties.

So the MAJORITY of my riding is responsible and on public streets. I like torque as well as a nimble bike, so the SS twins seem to be a good fit for me.

What do you guys think of the Suzuki SV1000S? I ask because I'm a cunt's hair away from buying one. A 2003. Opinions on this bike both good and bad?

2003-Suzuki-GSX-SV1000Sb.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an 03 sv1000 naked... I loved the bike, but the sv1000 wouldn't be my first pick for track or drag... Its a very fun little street bike and makes decent power, but you would get bored lugging that overweight underpowered thing around the track... You would be better off on an rc51 if you were stuck on a twin, or maybe just get a regular liter bike....

Just my 2 cents

I've heard that the 2003 model SV only ran 1 year- so replacement parts will be hard to find. I would go for an 2002 (or earlier) or a 2004(or later) if you want a fuel injected bike.

I like the look of the naked SV- and for the price, they can't be beat.

The S version isnt the naked version...Only year they made the true naked was 2003

My suggestions for 1000cc supersport twins. These bikes are all pretty aggressive but if you stay controlled on them they offer a great rewarding ride for a great price. All of them can be found for $5500 or less if you look around.

Aprilia RSV

aprilia-rsv-mille4.jpg

Honda RC51

2000-Honda-RC51b.jpg

Suzuki TL-R

2003-Suzuki-TL1000Rb.jpg

Ducati 996

A_1024x768.jpg

Edited by RSVDon

I've heard that the 2003 model SV only ran 1 year- so replacement parts will be hard to find. I would go for an 2002 (or earlier) or a 2004(or later) if you want a fuel injected bike.

I like the look of the naked SV- and for the price, they can't be beat.

You're a little off... yes, the 2003 was a 1-year edition because it was adjusted from the factory to have a raised seat height/tail, but all parts 2003-on will fit, nothing really changed except they dropped the cam sensor from the engine in 2005, and all the 2005-on bikes had black frames. So, the 2003 and 2004's all have silver frames, and an additional engine sensor. Good or bad? Your call.

Your 2 cents is exactly what I am asking for :)

Now you say it has decent power but is heavy?

Dry weight is 410lbs, it has 120hp and 75ft lbs of torque. Guess the numbers look better on paper is what you are saying?

Hmm...Its like..If you are comparing to a newer liter bike with 170-200hp its very underpowered and if you are comparing to a newer 600 its overwehight and bulky with same hp...

Its a fun bike to ride on the twisties and a great road bike... But IMO it might get frusterating at the strip, because you will be losing to 600's, and at the track its not the most agile bike out there...

However if you are just out to get your fix on the strip and track, it would be a completely FUN bike to ride...Just not that competitive compared to the newer stuff out there!

With all that aside...I miss my sv1000 very much! ;)

Believe me I researched EVERYTHING. I love the Ducati's!!! I just can't afford to modify them or maintain them...LOL

The ONLY bike I bought new was a Suzuki VX800. A great V-Twin and I loved that bike! So I have a soft spot of a Suzuki V-Twins and Honda V-fours. The VFR800 is my #2 pick BTW :)

My motto for the SV1000 - "All the weight of a liter bike, with the power of a 600."

Still, I love the vtwin thump and torque... my best pass was 11.68 @ 122mph on it and I only had it to the strip once, with a few more nights I could figure out how to launch it better and I'm guessing I could get it down under 11.50s given some practice.

But really - I have my Hayabusa for strip duty. The SV is for Coshocton duty.

The cost to maintain these bikes is low, insurance is low (because they're a 'standard' not a 'sportbike'), they have the sexiest tail section of any of the bikes I know. It's just an all-around 'FUN' bike. Unless you plan on doing competition out at MidO or serious drag racing - this bike is worth every penny.

Hmm...Its like..If you are comparing to a newer liter bike with 170-200hp its very underpowered and if you are comparing to a newer 600 its overwehight and bulky with same hp...

Its a fun bike to ride on the twisties and a great road bike... But IMO it might get frusterating at the strip, because you will be losing to 600's, and at the track its not the most agile bike out there...

However if you are just out to get your fix on the strip and track, it would be a completely FUN bike to ride...Just not that competitive compared to the newer stuff out there!

With all that aside...I miss my sv1000 very much! ;)

You are a wise man and I appreciate your opinion. Thank you very much :)

If you miss your bike that is the best review I can hear :D

Besides, I never race the person beside me, I race myself, so I don't care if a 600 beats me because I'm sure they will. I love the rush of staging and racing legal. Where else are you ENCOURAGED to go as fast as you possibly can? Nowhere :)

You are a wise man and I appreciate your opinion. Thank you very much :)

If you miss your bike that is the best review I can hear :D

Besides, I never race the person beside me, I race myself, so I don't care if a 600 beats me because I'm sure they will. I love the rush of staging and racing legal. Where else are you ENCOURAGED to go as fast as you possibly can? Nowhere :)

Sounds like you are going to like your sv1000 as much as I did! :p

I have nothing but love for the power of the suzuki v-1000. I have the TL1000s and love the power. I am racing it against a tricked out RC51 at mid ohio and i think i will give the rc hell.. I think for street use the SV1000 is a blast and will allow you to learn to exit corners with speed.

Justin is like the coolest dude in the world. Holy shit, Humanity has a chance!

Thanks for your IM. I can't respond because I'm restricted :(

Shhh...Don't go spreading ugly rumors like that about me around...you're killing my non-existent ex-reputation. I'm the epitome of evil on here. I'm a 'leftie'

:p No problem dude... good luck.

Get the SV if the price is right. You'll love it. If not it'll sell fairly easy.

Don't worry about power. Itll be more than enough.

Dubguy. Ima let you slide on your comments today.

Shhh...Don't go spreading ugly rumors like that about me around...you're killing my non-existent ex-reputation. I'm the epitome of evil on here. I'm a 'leftie'

:p No problem dude... good luck.

Thanks for your help. I'm liking what I'm hearing about this bike. It's fast, it's fun, it's different, and it has a nice ass. Reminds me of a girl I used to know ;)