ohio's new $20 late fee for registrations

serpentracer

many of us with birthdays in the winter usually wait till spring to renew our registration, the new law has us all confused and a little pissed. and since there seems to be a lot of confusion to whether or not the new law applies to motorcycles, and a few people have called local BMV's and got many different answers, I took the bull by the horns and contacted OHIO plates.com live help.

here is the answer to the million dollar question,

4294020620_fef0371819_o.jpg

Edited by serpentracer

I edited my original post to address that.

some of us with birthdays in the winter usually wait till spring to get them...they are pro-rated too. so we usually save a few bucks. mine are usually $10 cheaper.

I have a winter birthday too... but I figure it's easier to just maintain my registration and insurance that way if there's a nice day (inevitably there will be in Ohio) I can pickup and ride :D

But I can appreciate why you'd wait :D

i wonder if ill get a fee for not renewing my wifes truck in dec since she is in iraq coming in feb i never renewed.

from the sounds of the whole thing, if you can show them proof or have a good reason you didn't it's up to the bmv to waive the fee.

I didn't read the law entirely, just enough to see it doesn't say anything about motorcycles.

in your specific case, I bet you are the perfect candidate to get it waived.

i wonder if ill get a fee for not renewing my wifes truck in dec since she is in iraq coming in feb i never renewed.
yeah i have had insurance cancelled on it for a while and im sure usaa would give me proof.

Yeah, they will most likely waive the fee. Just have her show her orders for Iraq.

I saw a story on NBC4i.com about this. They have raked in 6.4 MILLION dollars in the last 3 MONTHS of 2009 in late fees. Soory, but I think it's :bs: According to the article, the money goes to the Highway patrol. :nono: I'mnot even going to start in on what I think about what used to be the elite law enforcement agency in Ohio.

I wonder, how long being expired does it take to be considered a new registration? I didn't renew the plates on my Camaro in August, since I won't drive it until after all the salt is gone, and it's really not road ready right now anyway.

I saw a story on NBC4i.com about this. They have raked in 6.4 MILLION dollars in the last 3 MONTHS of 2009 in late fees. Soory, but I think it's :bs: According to the article, the money goes to the Highway patrol. :nono: I'mnot even going to start in on what I think about what used to be the elite law enforcement agency in Ohio.

I wonder, how long being expired does it take to be considered a new registration? I didn't renew the plates on my Camaro in August, since I won't drive it until after all the salt is gone, and it's really not road ready right now anyway.

more than 7 days past, you get a $20 fine.

it's not bs, people need to stop being lazy and using any bs excuse they can come up with for having expired registrations and license.

I only care about the bike. I'm glad whoever came up with this law decided a bike should be exempt. they obviously know that would be really low since you can't ride it in the winter for the most part.

someone seen a money making opportunity and went for it. maybe in the long run it will lower state taxes

Edited by serpentracer

I have a winter birthday too... but I figure it's easier to just maintain my registration and insurance that way if there's a nice day (inevitably there will be in Ohio) I can pickup and ride :D:D

No joke. My brother keeps his bike in my garage over the winter. Last year he rode home from Columbus in snow at Thanksgiving, but it was in the mid 50's when we went for a ride on December 27th.

We wanted to go skiing/snowboarding, and take the bikes (never figured out exactly how the packing would work), but Boston Mills/Brandywine was closed.

We still rode up that way anyway. the roads in that area are pretty fun, even at a, "there might be salt on the road" pace.

more than 7 days past, you get a $20 fine.

it's not bs, people need to stop being lazy and using any bs excuse they can come up with for having expired registrations and license.

I

so what about situations like the camaro above? or ANY project vehicle?

What if I were being deployed in February, and my wife didn't have an M endorsement? Why should I renew the registration on my bike if it's going to sit for a full year?

The state just found a way to charge you for doing nothing, and I think that IS bs.

now if there were a RANGE, that might actually serve a purpose. If you're between 7 days and 90 days late, $20 charge. Beyond the 90 days, the lapse is viewed as intentional, and the fee is waived. I could almost get on-board with that, because it at least addresses some conflicting scenarios - but it's still a charge for failing to do something that's not required.

perhaps if they called it a "reinstatement fee" instead of a "late" fee, they'd avoid similar objections.