Will a '89 GSXR-750 make a good track bike?

ShankroidBeast

Tonight I am looking at a 1989 Suzuki GSXR750 with the usual intake/jetting/exhaust and possible brake upgrades. I realize that by today's standards it's a bit heavier than a modern sport bike (429lb DRY weight and 112hp) with as much and maybe less power than a modern 600. But it's old school and I like it.

My question is with the right (modest) upgrades and tires would it make a good track bike?

I have been riding off and on since I was 16. I have never own a sport bike, only standards and one cruiser. I have 0 track experience, but would love to go out and have fun on the track and improve my skills. A bike like the one I'm looking at is inexpensive and laying it down won't break my heart.

I am willing to invest in a good school at Mid-Ohio as well. I just don't want to show up with a bike and be laughed at. My only competition is myself and if a 600 zooms past me I couldn't care less.

Any input you would have good or bad would be appricated :D

I'm confused. Do you want a track bike that you can also ride on the street OR a street bike that you can also ride on the track a bit?

Any 'sport' bike is track capable. Hell, the GSX-R750 was the bike to beat when it was new. Modern bikes will be able to run circles around it, but that's not really the point, right?

I'm confused. Do you want a track bike that you can also ride on the street OR a street bike that you can also ride on the track a bit?

Any 'sport' bike is track capable. Hell, the GSX-R750 was the bike to beat when it was new. Modern bikes will be able to run circles around it, but that's not really the point, right?

Don't worry I'm confused as well....LOL

I saw this bike on CL and if it checks out may be an "impulse" buy, but the thing is all black and covered with airbrushed skulls (which is SO me), so I have to at least check it out. I think it would be optimal to have two bikes. My main street bike will still be be a SV1000S, FZ1, or a VFR800. This would be a bike night or track bike mainly.

Edited by ShankroidBeast
I'm a dumbass and don't even proof read my own crap :)

The bike would do fine, the concern you should look at is repair. Being a track bike theres a very good possibility its gonna get laid down here and there and its gonna be a little harder and time consuming to find parts to fix it. And its a givin that nobody at the track will have the parts on hand to get you back on the track so your day will be shot . With a newer more popular model you stand a good chance of finding the parts needed to get rolling again right there at the track.

The bike would do fine, the concern you should look at is repair. Being a track bike theres a very good possibility its gonna get laid down here and there and its gonna be a little harder and time consuming to find parts to fix it. And its a givin that nobody at the track will have the parts on hand to get you back on the track so your day will be shot . With a newer more popular model you stand a good chance of finding the parts needed to get rolling again right there at the track.

Word

unless you are getting it really really cheap or free I would say you'd be better off getting something more modern and common. 1. The bike technology will be better and make the bike easier to ride fast, and 2. you'll be able to find parts easier. You can find pretty complete track bikes on the wera forum for around $2500 that are 10 to 15 years newer.

I got to check out the bike this afternoon. This is the ad here

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1581954989.html

It was in good shape for a 21 year old bike. It ran rough until off the choke and warmed up, it was about 38 degrees out so understandable. It pulled VERY hard all the way to 11k and that’s all the nerve I could muster on gritty roads. Fast as hell for sure, I sported wood.

Good manners on the road, brakes seemed solid. It will need new tires, and rear shock. The skull paint job looks great but has signs of wear with little nicks and scratches as to be expected. It is listed as 2.5k and he said he will sell it for 2.3k.

It’s not the bike for me, but I live close and the guy is very nice. I would be willing to take high resolution pics of the bike for forum members if they are interested.

No doubt. When he said his bottom line was 2300 I knew I wasn't going to even try negotiating. I'd pay 1600 tops. Some kid will have an orgasm when he gets his first taste at speed and buy it.

I'd rather pay more and get an F4i. Less weight, better suspension, better riding position (good lord that bike was uncomfortable, my heels were 2" from my ass), better brakes, etc

2500 for a '89 gix 750? No effing way. Custom paint was on the current owner, as far as I'm concerned it's been repainted, so that changes the price from 1200 to 1500 (given the paint condition). You will find much better for 2500.

I got to check out the bike this afternoon. This is the ad here

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1581954989.html

It was in good shape for a 21 year old bike. It ran rough until off the choke and warmed up, it was about 38 degrees out so understandable. It pulled VERY hard all the way to 11k and that’s all the nerve I could muster on gritty roads. Fast as hell for sure, I sported wood.

Good manners on the road, brakes seemed solid. It will need new tires, and rear shock. The skull paint job looks great but has signs of wear with little nicks and scratches as to be expected. It is listed as 2.5k and he said he will sell it for 2.3k.

It’s not the bike for me, but I live close and the guy is very nice. I would be willing to take high resolution pics of the bike for forum members if they are interested.

lol. I live in Lancaster...and have not seen that yet. Did you take it down 33?

lol. I live in Lancaster...and have not seen that yet. Did you take it down 33?

No I was behind the Honda dealer on the business route. Wish the roads were a little better. Would have like to to taken it all the way to the redline. but I was being careful and respectful the guys equipment. It was fun and the guy was really nice. I do love the look and you don't see many of those around anymore, but to be honest I'm sick of carburetors. I want fuel injection.

• 2 weeks later...