Hell has frozen - NESBA @ Mid-Ohio

redkow97

Rain insurance... this might be a pretty unbeatable deal for me.

But, if it's the same price on MidO... is MidO doing the same policy? Because if I book through MidO (no membership fee), and run the same day as NESBA folks... if it gets called for rain would the people that booked through MidO ride "rain or shine" even if NESBA packs up and leaves for the day?

Edited by JRMMiii

i hadn't even thought about that. It could take some of the worry out of booking at Mid-O.

Maybe Bucky Badger will jump in and clarify for us, but I've had mixed results with NESBA's rain policy.

I know there are some tracks (Summit JC, for instance) that NESBA simply WILL NOT ride in the rain. Without having run and event there in the past, I don't know if Mid-O will be one of them.

"rain insurance" only applies if NESBA calls the day off, not if you just decide not to ride.

How does NESBA compare to STT? I've never ridden with NESBA

Anything positive I say about NESBA is going to get Brian all fired-up :rolleyes:

basic similarities:

- same 3 groups per hour format

basic differences:

- You can't register in "A" your first ride with NESBA unless you have a valid Expert race license

- Once you register in "B" or "I," you can't register in other groups unless a control rider moves you up or down. (some people hate this. I think it makes things much safer)

- NESBA doesn't require classroom time for "B" group. You ride your own ride all day.

- NESBA does not allow inside passing in "I" group (again, some hate this, I like it)

- NESBA offers a credit if the day is rained out (rain insurance)

- NESBA offers a credit if you crash (you crash in the AM, you get a credit for the afternoon. you crash in the afternoon, no credit)

- NESBA pays your gate fee, and the gate fee for any and all guests.

- I have found that NESBA's CR's are more "proactive" about giving feedback to riders without the rider specifically asking to be evaluated, followed, etc.

It's a common misconception that you can't register directly into "I" group with NESBA. you can ...but I don't recommend it.

Because NESBA is a lot pickier about who they 'bump' from "B" to "I," NESBA's "I" group is (on average) considerably faster than STT's "I" group.

whether or not those are good or bad things are a matter of preference.

if you have specific questions, drop me a PM.

Sounds like they run a tight ship. I think that is very important as a lot of people take for granted how dangerous what we are doing out there could actually be.

I have always been impressed with STT and think they do a great job but it sounds like I'd be pretty happing riding with NESBA as well. Only downside I see is that the membership is expensive in comparison.

I think NESBA is the most strict group i've ridden with - in a good way.

if you buy a membership before monday, you get a $25 credit along with your membership, so it's $50 net.

the $15 difference from STT is quickly made up in gate fees; a lot quicker if you get a crash or rain credit.

Edited by redkow97

Sounds like they run a tight ship. I think that is very important as a lot of people take for granted how dangerous what we are doing out there could actually be.

I have always been impressed with STT and think they do a great job but it sounds like I'd be pretty happing riding with NESBA as well. Only downside I see is that the membership is expensive in comparison.

edit: Redkow covered what I wrote, we posted at the same time

Edited by Bucky Badger

I think NESBA is the most strict group i've ridden with - in a good way.

if you buy a membership before monday, you get a $25 credit along with your membership, so it's $50 net.

the $15 difference from STT is quickly made up in gate fees; a lot quicker if you get a crash or rain credit.

Good point. If they have some weekend Mid-OH days, like the thread says, I may end up riding a nesba day this year. I was very disappointed with the Mid-OH schedule. Very few weekend days this year.

The first session at Mid-Ohio in the morning is useless because that track is so slick from dew. Sometimes the second session is too slick also. That track is a blast to ride but it has to be completely dry. I have never ridden with Nesba so I can't address their group break downs. I went to a twilight ride last year at Mid-Ohio thinking, great no slick track issues only to be met with two groups out on the track at the same time. Not ideal conditions so I think I might like the more strict structure.

The question is with rain at mid-ohio. The way NESBA's rain policy works is that it only counts if they rule it as officially being rained out, and at some tracks they will run in the rain. If they want to sell more memberships and get attendance up for this event they should weigh in what their plans are to do with this track in the case of it raining. Personally I think this would be a big difference if they would be able to provide rain insurance at this track, because this track turns into an ice rink the second it starts to rain.

Anything positive I say about NESBA is going to get Brian all fired-up :rolleyes:

basic similarities:

- same 3 groups per hour format

basic differences:

- You can't register in "A" your first ride with NESBA unless you have a valid Expert race license

- Once you register in "B" or "I," you can't register in other groups unless a control rider moves you up or down. (some people hate this. I think it makes things much safer)

- NESBA doesn't require classroom time for "B" group. You ride your own ride all day.

- NESBA does not allow inside passing in "I" group (again, some hate this, I like it)

- NESBA offers a credit if the day is rained out (rain insurance)

- NESBA offers a credit if you crash (you crash in the AM, you get a credit for the afternoon. you crash in the afternoon, no credit)

- NESBA pays your gate fee, and the gate fee for any and all guests.

- I have found that NESBA's CR's are more "proactive" about giving feedback to riders without the rider specifically asking to be evaluated, followed, etc.

It's a common misconception that you can't register directly into "I" group with NESBA. you can ...but I don't recommend it.

Because NESBA is a lot pickier about who they 'bump' from "B" to "I," NESBA's "I" group is (on average) considerably faster than STT's "I" group.

whether or not those are good or bad things are a matter of preference.

if you have specific questions, drop me a PM.

you forget,you cant pass anytime instructor,and you cant make inside pass and that is stupid.

FREE Rain Insurance - If an event is canceled due to rain and no one got to ride, you get 100% credit, even if you didn't show up.

Is this going to be you making the call or Patty making the call? Will the credit be through NESBA for any of your events or will it be for Mid-Ohio only? How long is the credit good for?

1.Is this going to be you making the call or Patty making the call?

2.Will the credit be through NESBA for any of your events or will it be for Mid-Ohio only?

3.How long is the credit good for?

1. If we have not rolled a wheel on the track and Mid Ohio calls the day - you get a credit. If NESBA calls the day - you get a credit. The credit is for ANYONE registered for the day REGARDLESS of whether or not you are in attendance.

Example: It rained at Road Atlanta at the last event of the year. Road Atlanta did NOT call the day...NESBA called the day because the rain was bringing a small amount of debris onto the track. NESBA viewed the track as being unsafe to ride so we cancelled the day at 11AM and everyone that was registered got credit for the day whether or not they were in attendance and NESBA ate the cost.

2. The credit will be through NESBA for any NESBA event in the U.S.

3. One year from the date issued.

Hope that helps clarify things for you. The questions about rain policies seem to be everywhere, I see you explaining the same things to someone on the WERA board.