Bikes in a truck question

mrbret

I also just found this on a F150 site

Bed Dimensions - - - - - Short Bed Flareside - - - Short Bed Styleside

Length (in.) - - - - - - - - - - 78.8 - - - - - - - - - - - 78.8

Width at Wheelwell (in.) - - 50 - - - - - - - - - - - - - 50

Width at Wall (in.) - - - - 59.7 - - - - - - - - - - 65.2

So the width between the walls is not quite 6" total & the wheelwell width is still the same on both

I suppose 2 bikes would fit in a flair side, but your anchor points wouldn't be as far apart. In a standard bed, you'd have the tie-down anchored at an angle away from the bike. In a flair-side, it'd be more vertical.

whether or not that's a problem, I don't know.

If I had a flair side would I be able to put good anchor points on the top of the side walls?

So they would not be on the flood but 2 feet higher up & the just one anchor in the middle on the floor AND maybe strap the fork together?

you can fit 2 bikes in a small truck. I put 2 in my GMC sonoma. you will need to install a U bolt in the bed to have something to hook the straps to. I put mine up close to the back of the bed so it doesn't get in the way of anthing else. any hardware store should have some,http://www.uboltit.com/products/order-form-bolts.html#Round%20U-Bolt

100_1899_Large_.jpg

well i guess that's not that bad, I was just noticing the late 90's s10's are CHEAP and say they get mid 20 mpg on the hwy, that's a shitload better than my 11-12mpg on the hwy.

can a 4cylinder/auto/2wd haul a couple bikes just fine in the bed? I'm thinking about picking one up for a couple grand

no you can't close it. it comes within about 4" of closing though.

I strap it up so I can put stuff in the bed.

Can you close the tailgate AND have the wheel chock things in the longer bed's? The chocks seem like would add few more inch's to the bike length of about 6 - 6 1/2 feet.

well i guess that's not that bad, I was just noticing the late 90's s10's are CHEAP and say they get mid 20 mpg on the hwy, that's a shitload better than my 11-12mpg on the hwy.

can a 4cylinder/auto/2wd haul a couple bikes just fine in the bed? I'm thinking about picking one up for a couple grand

I bet an old long bed S-10 could get the tailgate shut... I don't know much about the late 90's S-10's, but the early 90's ones were very durable... I wouldn't get the auto though, 2.5L, 5-speed... Body will prolly be all rusted out, but I'd use roll-on bedliner all over that mother and be done with it...

See if you can find an old Syclone... Those things were badass... Of course a turbo'ed 4.3L kinda defeats the purpose of fuel efficient...

yeah, auto/stick I dont care. auto would be easier for the wife. I found a few 98/99/00's for under $3k with around 120k miles, in pretty good shape. Test driving two of them today, we'll see. I just want to be able to throw a bike or two in there or my jetski's.

See if you can find an old Syclone... Those things were badass... Of course a turbo'ed 4.3L kinda defeats the purpose of fuel efficient...

I've got Unit 1025 sittin in my garage :D yeah there a blast but i wouldn't put anything in the bed, they've got no hauling capacity. Wanna buy one? :D

stay away from the 4cyl. it wont haul but one bike. it might do two, I've never tried. its a very weak engine. producing only about 89hp at the rear tires. the v6 is rated at 180hp and 245ft/lbs of torque. thats the same torque as some early 90's V8 trucks.

I have 2 s/10's. a 4cyl and the green one in the pic with a v6. the v6 can pull a shit load. I've had my bike in the bed and 4 on a trailer. pulled fine.

gm actually recomends the automatic for towing. My V6 has a oil cooler too. factory installed.

it still isn't a v8. but a v8 engine swap in the s/10 is very common and easy.;)

I've got Unit 1025 sittin in my garage :D yeah there a blast but i wouldn't put anything in the bed, they've got no hauling capacity. Wanna buy one? :D

You've got to be kidding me... If I was 16 again, I'd come over there and hump that fucking thing... I wanted one of those SOOOOO BAD when I was in HS...

No I'm serious as a heart attack. always wanted one so I sold my 01 WS6 6 speed, and got one. kinda a mistake I think, as much as I love the truck, I'm still 6'2" 250lbs, and It's still a regular cab, 1st gen S10 :( I tore it appart and am rebuilding it, It lost oil pressure, it ended up being the sending unit, but i still refreshed it, new bearings, rings, ARP studs the whole way through. Gonna do the trans with a 2800 stall and Koleen Red clutches while it's out, and turn around and sell it. I'll put some pics up when i get home tonight :D

Of course I do, I want to ride and drive everything I can get my hands on. Just because I don't like something doesn't mean I don't want to see what it's all about! I have reasons for not liking stuff, I don't dislike things simply for the sake of not liking them.

I've ridden several Harleys, from sportsters to top of the line full dressers, and I don't like them. At all.

A Buell may be a little more exciting and I'm sure the fun to drive, but there still using that POS air-cooled HD motor in them, so as far as reliability and power I'm sure there not up to, well, my standards at least, but that doesn't mean there not fun bikes.

Hell I've driven S2000s, there by no means what I'd call fast, mildly quick maybe, but there helluva fun little car, like a go cart on rails :D

I'm not a fan of foreign cars to begin with, but I'm not some ignorant twit who hates them to no end for no reason