Getting a new bike... need some input

cheezeberger07

hey everyone... i currently own a 2007 suzuki gs500f... this spring i am looking to upgrade to a bigger bike. i have my eyes set on two bikes... one dealer has a 2007 Kawasaki ZZR600 for $5,499... and another dealer has a 2008 Suzuki GSX650F for around the same price. i am looking for a sport tourer and these two bikes caught my eye. i was wondering if anyone has had any experience with either of these bikes. thanks everyone.

Welcome to the world of sport touring!

I would look at a Honda VFR 800. I have seen those modified nicely into sport tourers. Check out http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php? for more info about VFRs.

IMO 600 - 700 cc bikes don't make the best sport touring bikes. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but a larger cc bike may treat you better on a longer trip.

Welcome to the world of sport touring!

I would look at a Honda VFR 800. I have seen those modified nicely into sport tourers. Check out http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php? for more info about VFRs.

IMO 600 - 700 cc bikes don't make the best sport touring bikes. Doesn't mean it can't be done, but a larger cc bike may treat you better on a longer trip.

Ditto on the VFR800 - would be a better bike for the long haul but still have the chops for the twistys. Better bike, less bucks. Any 4th gen - '94 - '97, 5th gen - '98 - '01, or 6th gen - '02 to '09, would be a fine ride for what you want. Of course I'm a bit biased ..(mines a '98, much modded.)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/1574029156.html

MD

Edited by mello dude

Not a sport tourer, but here's a 2007 ZX6R with some great mods: $5500 OBO

http://www.ohio-riders.net/showthread.php?t=42299

Now, as far as the bikes you are looking at... We raced the Kawasaki ZX6R from 1998 to 2001. It is the same bike as the 2007 ZZR 600 you are referring to. It is heavy, poor handling and has lackluster power. In stock form. Massaged into a Superbike platform and in the day, it was pretty damn good. That was 10 plus years ago...

If you are going to dump $5-$6k into a bike, a 2007 ZZR 600 isn't worth that amount. There are a TON of better options out there in the Sport Touring category...

Both bikes you are looking at aren't really sport tourers as more of lower grade sportbikes. I'd look at the VFR800, etc. before the ZZR or especially the 08 GSXF650.

I had the chance to test ride an GSX-650F in '08 in Las Vegas. Here's my blog review:

"I stepped back over into the standard/sportbike realm with Suzuki's most underrated entry-level motorcycle, the GSX-650F. It's a faired motorcycle that takes the rounded styling cues of the GSX-R, the spirited engine of the original Bandit 600, and an upright handlebar stance to create a bike that a beginner will want to hold on to for a while. I enjoyed slapping this bike around in curves because of its agility. Its 650cc inline-four engine wanted to be revved high (13k redline), and I found myself hitting 80 MPH in 4th gear (the bike has six, by the way) on the entrances to the open highway. For the person who's not afraid to flog an engine, this bike is super fun to play with. The bike is extremely easy to shift, very forgiving for the new rider, yet a fresh change of pace for the seasoned one. It's perfect for needling through CA traffic in the morning and even possible track days! I am definitely going to recommend this bike to any new rider that is looking for an alternative to the SV or Ninja 650R. Wonderful mid-range standard!"

Anyway, after having my SV650 and touring with that machine for 20k miles, the upgrade to my '07 FJR1300 was a wonderful change of pace. However, Suzuki does a great job with their inline machines. Hope this helps your bike shopping!

If you can find an FZ6 (not in the 2010 Yamaha line-up), it makes a fine sport-tourer. Claimed 98 horsepower, but the ergos for the long-haul.

I've also heard rumors of VFR-800s for dirt-cheap at the dealerships.

I had the chance to test ride an GSX-650F in '08 in Las Vegas. Here's my blog review:

"I stepped back over into the standard/sportbike realm with Suzuki's most underrated entry-level motorcycle, the GSX-650F. It's a faired motorcycle that takes the rounded styling cues of the GSX-R, the spirited engine of the original Bandit 600, and an upright handlebar stance to create a bike that a beginner will want to hold on to for a while. I enjoyed slapping this bike around in curves because of its agility. Its 650cc inline-four engine wanted to be revved high (13k redline), and I found myself hitting 80 MPH in 4th gear (the bike has six, by the way) on the entrances to the open highway. For the person who's not afraid to flog an engine, this bike is super fun to play with. The bike is extremely easy to shift, very forgiving for the new rider, yet a fresh change of pace for the seasoned one. It's perfect for needling through CA traffic in the morning and even possible track days! I am definitely going to recommend this bike to any new rider that is looking for an alternative to the SV or Ninja 650R. Wonderful mid-range standard!"

Anyway, after having my SV650 and touring with that machine for 20k miles, the upgrade to my '07 FJR1300 was a wonderful change of pace. However, Suzuki does a great job with their inline machines. Hope this helps your bike shopping!

Uh, great review, but you might want to check facts before one, you ride a bike and then two, before you blog the "test ride".

It's not an in-line 4... Twin, buddy...

Uh, great review, but you might want to check facts before one, you ride a bike and then two, before you blog the "test ride".

i believe he is refering to the GSX650F katana inline 4.....(im not sure if they have dropped the katana name or not)

Edited by timotheus

i believe he is refering to the GSX650F katana inline 4.....(im not sure if they have dropped the katana name or not)

The GSX-650F is an inline four. It was designed to be the Katana replacement. Adding another 2 cylinder to the lineup would've been in direct competition with the SV. By the way, I'm a she. :)

I'm far too new to the forum to put out venomous sarcasm. But if I would have been a respected veteran of the site, I might point out that one should really research their point before embarrassing themselves. It's an I-4. Sorry.:dunno:

DAYUM!!! I apologize BIG time to you all... I thought it was the bandit replacement.

SORRY!!!

I don't pay much attention to the class of bike it fits. I really should have looked, huh? That old sayin' foot into mouth applies here.

Where's that crow I need to eat.

Carry on. Sorry!

Edited by Desmo-Brian