Columbus area noob!

UnbrakableX

MSF has professional coaches and bikes that you're allowed to wreck.

I doubt anybody is just gonna hand their bike over to a stranger.

I mostly wanted to learn the mechanical side of things from an individual. Plus, riding tips. No one should trust me to let me actually ride their bike lol. I will more than likely end up having to take classes to get my license.

EDIT: Unless they're rich and have multiple bikes that they don't care about. Then I can see them letting me ride one.

Edited by UnbrakableX

Believe it or not, the MSF class is really really good at teaching you how to ride and what you need to know.

My suggestion:

Get your temps

Take the MSF course

Read up on many bikes

Come to the dyno day in April. Ask questions about people's bikes, get their opinions, and take in the sights of the scene so to speak. The people on here are great and as long as you're willing to listen and keep the mood light you'll learn a lot from them. (Disclaimer: except 'that dude', 'sambusa', etc. ) :p

And don't forget, no matter where this takes you, gear up and ride safe.

Believe it or not, the MSF class is really really good at teaching you how to ride and what you need to know.

My suggestion:

Get your temps

Take the MSF course

Read up on many bikes

Come to the dyno day in April. Ask questions about people's bikes, get their opinions, and take in the sights of the scene so to speak. The people on here are great and as long as you're willing to listen and keep the mood light you'll learn a lot from them. (Disclaimer: except 'that dude', 'sambusa', etc. ) :p

Will do. I figured the course was a pretty basic push out the door deal. I mean, I need it to be basic because I don't know anything, but I would also like to learn how bikes work in general. Do they teach you the majority of that in the course as well?

But, it sounds like I will just stick with the course. Earliest open class is April. I'll be going to get my temps soon and hopefully can get into the earliest class available.

Thanks for the suggestions.

First off, welcome.

Secondly like everyone has said take the MSF course. They teach you how to ride from scratch so it will be a good way for you to learn. You will probably also get a discount on your insurance for taking the course, that's always a plus.

Now as for the mechanical side, your just gonna have to ask around. I do all my own work on the bike but it is usually a spur of the moment thing when I feel like working on it. If you are really wanting to work on bike, maybe professionally, there are always schools that will teach you. GL.

... but I would also like to learn how bikes work in general. Do they teach you the majority of that in the course as well?

No, nothing mechanical except for the basics of checking the bike over before you ride- http://www.oceanstatehd.com/T-ClocksPre-RideCheck.htm Thats about the extent of the mechanical, everything else is just how to ride.

When it's time to get a bike, don't bite off more than you can chew. Get something sensable, and used. Get used to it. Enjoy it. When you are comfortable, you can sell it for about what you paid and then move to that bigger bike. Starting out on a 1000cc sport bike is rarely a good idea. I started on a 250 and I feel that I am a better rider because I was able to concentrate on so many more things than throttle control. Not saying that you need to start out on a 250, but something with a good, gradual, throttle.

My suggestion:

Get your temps

Take the MSF course

Read up on many bikes

Preach On Brother

crazy-preacher.jpg

I'm not kidding, I've got manuals and shit, too.

can you read pretty well unbreakable?

:lol:

The funny thing is that is how "MeatWad" learned how to workon his bike....

I would do it the first time, he would drink and watch...the next time he would do it...(a bit wrong) but that is what beer does....But now he can do pretty much all his own work (sober)....(takes forever) but it gets done....:lol:

I started on an old Kawasaki EX500. They are pretty easy to work on and learn about how they work, they are easy to control but have enough power to get on the highway, and best of all they're cheap usually. Don't bother getting a really nice sportbike right off, take your time practicing the fundamentals you learn in the MSF course and eventually you'll be a condifent enough rider for a larger bike. I took the MSF course and got my EX500, moved up to a carburated Yamaha FZR600, and now I'm on a fuel injected Kawi ZX6R. The best advice I can give you is always wear your gear every single time you mount, pay attention to others because they will hurt you if you don't watch out for trouble, and don't be afraid to fill up your tank and get lost on some backroads. Also if you go are in the OSU area, student or not, there is a motorcycle club that gets new guys alot.

Welcome.

Individual instruction is a good thing, but take the classes on top of that. Plus they give you a bike to ride. So you don't have to worry bout breaking your stuff.

+1 The classes are a good thing. Wife and I both took them and would recommend them to anyone.