ADA Tour de Cure 2010: Looking for riders...

SWing'R

Melissa and I have decided to ride in the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure again this year.

We rode in 2006, I rode myself in 2007 and we rode together again in 2008.

We haven't registered yet since we thought we'd see if anyone else was interested in registering,

thought we could register as a TEAM and call ourselves, well, I guess "Team OhioRiders"

You can register as individuals or a team. If we formed a team I thought maybe Ben and Carrie could show up with the OR banner.

Whether we go as individuals or a team, we'd like to invite any other OR members in the Columbus area to ride along with us.

The event is on Saturday JUNE 5th in Westerville, OH. BTW, this is a BICYCLE ride, not MC. We will be riding in the 30 MILE ride.

For more info you can go here... http://tour.diabetes.org/

Edited by SWing'R

What's a bicycle? :rolleyes: All I have is a mountain bike and hasn't been ridden in years.

Registration fee is $25. Each cyclist must raise the minimum requirement of $150 to participate. Registration fees do not count towards the fundraising minimum requirement and are non-refundable and non-transferable. Register today, set an ambitious fundraising goal and ask family, friends and co-workers to join your team or sponsor you.

Is this a road or trail ride? All I have is a mountain bike.

Its a road ride. We ride mountain bikes too but I have road tires on our bikes like the one below...

3167CHKZERL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Many people ride mountain bikes on this ride with or without "road" tires.

There are pics from the previous rides on my photobucket page...

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/davidjrosso/ADA_Tour_de_Cure/2006/

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/davidjrosso/ADA_Tour_de_Cure/2007/

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w139/davidjrosso/ADA_Tour_de_Cure/2008/

Edited by SWing'R
Added pic of tire and links to photobucket pics

I might be in. I've been working on cutting out my smoking and I wanted to start riding again this year. Very possible.

Sounds good.

I think we are gonna just register as "individuals" for now, maybe we can do a "Team OhioRiders" another year,

but anyone that wants to register for this event we can all ride together, maybe even do a little training together

at some local parks once the weather stays nice.

I think we are gonna take the MTB's out for a ride tomorrow night, gotta oil the chains and pump up the tires!

I used to ride single and double centuries (100 and 200 miles). 30 miles is a nice warm up, just over an hour. I'm not in great shape anymore, so it'll probably take me almost 2 hrs now.

We don't ride at a very fast pace, I think we only average 10-15mph so with the reststops the entire 30miles ends up taking close to 3hrs. Afterall, its not a race :)

Everything is a race. :D

With you :p

Its just about having a nice day out on the bike for a good cause! For us, its really our motivation to ride our bikes and get in shape;

having the charity event looming over our heads makes us get out and ride so we know we can do the 30miles.

Once we get into better shape, we may take a ride on the Kokosing rail trail in Mount Vernon,

its 15miles each way so its a great test that we can do the 30miles. Its a really nice trail.

Ok, I just made it official, I am now registered for this years event.

Anyone that wants to help out with an online donation by credit card just click on the link in my signature.

I will be registering Melissa here shortly and will setup a link like mine in her signature. I will also be setting

something up for those of you that would like to donate by check, bare with me while I setup a separate page for offline donations.

Also, anyone that wants to ride in this event with us, by all means you are welcome to ride along with us but keep in mind we are

not professional cyclists, we're in no rush, its not a race, we keep an average pace of 12-15mph.

We will be starting to train/get-in-shape for this event by riding in the evenings as often as possible. We usually ride at the rail-trail

in Old Hilliard. We will also plan a Saturday or Sunday ride occasionally at the Kokosing rail-trail in Mount Vernon (once we're in better shape).

I might be in. I've been working on cutting out my smoking and I wanted to start riding again this year. Very possible.

Drop a line if you're serious. Myself and a friend put about 30-40 miles down, once or twice a week. Then there is the TOSRV ride, and Pelotonia too.

Good luck to those of you doing the ADA!

Ok you guys/girls, don't let me down! My donation cherry's been popped, just got my first online donation from a friend off another forum.

Time for some of you OR's to step up! :popcorn:

By the way, who else is gonna ride with us in this????????? Come on, 30miles ain't that far, the exercise will do you good!

Not to mention the money raised for diabetes!