Anyone have a dumb battery charger?

Cheech

I left my headlight LED's (that BornSinner did a hell of a job installing, BTW) on all night on Friday, and now my battery is showing .19V across the terminals. I was talking with a buddy of mine who said it was possible to bring it back, but my Battery Tender won't recharge it since it's not seeing enough voltage on the battery end to turn on. Anyone have a dumb 12V/1A charger they can slap on this thing so I can transfer it on mine, or am I just buying a new battery? Batt is a PowerSportsPro, believe it's a maintenance free lead acid. More than likely not an AGM, and certainly not a Yuasa.

Most battery tenders charge then cycle a maintenance mode. It should work fine.

When I hook up to it, it acts like there's nothing there. I assume it's looking for a charge above a certain threshold when I complete the circuit with the battery?

Cheech I know what your saying on the battery tender not picking it up since its dead...... Hook it up like normal then get a 9v battery and a couple wires and touch them to the terminals for a min to get the charge cycle started.

I've got that at home, will give it a shot tonight.

Jump start it and then add the battery tender after letting it run for a while.

Exactly, the easiest way to bring back a dead battery is to jump it with another battery and wait. You'll have to re-charge both batteries. And I mean not with an engine running, very bad idea. Just one battery to another.

The problem, is that if any one of the 6 cells goes down too far, it might reverse it's charge. Then the battery will never have more than 2/3 voltage, basically worthless. Minimum individual cell voltage is considered to be 0.7v per cell(4.2v for the battery), without risking a reversal. You have .19/6=0.032, good luck, I hope it comes back undamaged.

Edited by ReconRat

Exactly, the easiest way to bring back a dead battery is to jump it with another battery and wait. You'll have to re-charge both batteries.

The problem, is that if any one of the 6 cells goes down too far, it might reverse it's charge. Then the battery will never have more than 2/3 voltage, basically worthless. Minimum individual cell voltage is considered to be 0.7v, without risking a reversal. You have 1.9/6=0.32, good luck, I hope it comes back undamaged.

That's my concern, since there was such a low current draw on it it was allowed to discharge a lot deeper than it would if I had left the whole bike on. Here's hoping.

That's my concern, since there was such a low current draw on it it was allowed to discharge a lot deeper than it would if I had left the whole bike on. Here's hoping.

Actually, disconnect the battery and let it sit for a while, then take a voltage reading. It will be higher, but who knows by how much.

...and now my battery is showing .19V across the terminals

In my personal opinion, a battery that has drained down that far will most likely never charge back up. Might want to come up with some kind of timer-cut-off for them LED's.

In my personal opinion' date=' a battery that has drained down that far will most likely never charge back up. Might want to come up with some kind of timer-cut-off for them LED's.[/quote']

Yeah, it's called not being an idiot and hitting the cutoff switch I painstakingly installed.

Well, threw the Battery Tender on there to find that the Tender fired right up. Curiously it started flashing that the battery was 80% charged after about 20 minutes. With the tender still on, I flipped the bike to ON where everything fired up, including the fuel pump, for about 10 seconds before fading out. Switched to Off, then took another batt reading: 0.4. Never disconnected the Tender, she's charging now. I'll check it again in the morning and see what the voltage falloff is. If it's steeper than 12.7 or so it's not completely guaranteed she'll fire up without assistance, and the battery is toast.

Well, threw the Battery Tender on there to find that the Tender fired right up. Curiously it started flashing that the battery was 80% charged after about 20 minutes. With the tender still on, I flipped the bike to ON where everything fired up, including the fuel pump, for about 10 seconds before fading out. Switched to Off, then took another batt reading: 0.4. Never disconnected the Tender, she's charging now. I'll check it again in the morning and see what the voltage falloff is. If it's steeper than 12.7 or so it's not completely guaranteed she'll fire up without assistance, and the battery is toast.

The battery's static voltage at full charge should be 12.6 volts. Anything higher than that would be from a surface charge, on top of 12.6 from charging it. After charging overnight, let it sit for a while (hour or so to be sure) then check the voltage. In order to chanrge a battery, it has to be at a voltage higher then the battery's nominal voltage.

+1

Take it to Autozone or Advanced and let them test it. They'll do it for free.

I'll do that tomorrow probably at lunch, have it on the charger for about 12 hours and see what that does for it.

If you own a motorcycle or a car, you should own a normal battery charger. Something like a 2/10/50.. For those of you that dont know. (2amp trickle, 10 amp charge, 50amp jump)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters

Just saying..

If you own a motorcycle or a car, you should own a normal battery charger. Something like a 2/10/50.. For those of you that dont know. (2amp trickle, 10 amp charge, 50amp jump)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P?vName=Automotive&cName=Batteries+%26+Chargers&sName=Battery+Chargers+%26+Boosters

Just saying..

Yeah, I should pick one of those up. Had it on the charger all night and the green light was still flashing (80% charge). Probably should have fully charged by now, but I'm guessing since the discharge was so deep that it's never going to "fully charge" again. Left the tender plugged in and turned the bike on, electronics and fuel pump fires up and is stable. Wait 30 seconds and start the bike, no delay, no issues. Current load started to bottom out at about 12.9v, it was a slippery slope to get to 12.9 then it tapered off. I'll give it a shot when I get back home with the tender off.