Good Places to Live Near Cleveland?

katanafreak

I see everyone is taking sides. Eastsiders for the east side, westsiders for the west, southsiders for the southern suburbs. Let us not forget our friends from Columbus casting their vote for North West Virginia. You have to come up cruise the suburbs and find the right fit for you.

Here is a neutral view:

1. If you have a public school going kid:

east: Mayfield heights, Beachwood, Orange

west Bayvillage, Rockyriver

south: Solon, twinsburgh, hudson

2. Best commute:

Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, South Euclid...west side lakewood other than that all other west side cities you will have to deal with inner belt traffic in the rush hour and game days....not pleasant. Far East Willowick, willoughby etc. are nice but traffic is stuck on 1-90 from MLK exit, pain in the ass.

3. Lakewood, very affordable, lots of party, eastside Cleveland Heights etc. decent party lots of restaurants and bars too lil more expensive than lakewood but nothing astronomical...lots of college students. Choose from apts. houses, rental houses.......

....the majority of CSU students live in the following cities in order:

Cleveland Heights, Lakewood, South Euclid, Shaker Heights.......

mentor is nice but about 30 min away. ask me how i know.

tremont is a nice and interesting area, so is lakewood and is closer. parts of cleveland heights are pretty nice. it all depends on what kind of environment you're looking for.

if you're looking for safety, go with mentor/eastlake/willoughby. if you're looking interesting, go with the others.

as far as the cleveland haters, what a bunch of bores.

I live in Lyndhurst, and I get downtown in 20-30 minutes (non-highway). I'd look in Cleveland Heights, maybe the Tremont area... they also have a bunch of new apartments downtown that are worth checking out.

Maybe its just because I grew up in the burbs but the last place I would want to raise kids is Tremont or any of the "trendy" areas

Tremont can be "trendy" and dangerous within a few blocks though...

with 3 kids, I'd stick to places that are more uniformly safe.

It's a tough compromise to reconcile good schools with "close-ish to CSU." I'd suggest Medina, but that gets pretty far South.

I grew up in Broadview Hts., and the Brecksville/Broadview Heights public schools are really good. If i heard "we got 25 out of 25 on our state school report card" one more time, I was going to stab somebody. But I appreciated the qualify of education when I went to college and realized how dumb some high school graduates are...

Honestly, in your shoes, I would try to move into Seven Hills (the buffer zone between 'trashy' Parma and expensive Independence) in an area that allows your kids to attend Independence schools. They have a great district, and the city gets shit-tons of tax money from the businesses on Rockside alone (I work in Independence).

P.S. - given that you're retiring from the Army, keep in mind that there's a VA hospital in Brecksville (unless that's being closed). Might be a good place to find a job.