just got a tank bag...have questions

Steve Butters

just got a joe rocket tank bag:

http://www.joerocket.com/catalog/index.cfm/251/381/Luggage/Manta_Tank_Bag

the warning:

Magnets have been known to damage paint in instances of prolonged use. Remove magnet from fuel tank when not using. Do not use magnet in extremely hot conditions. Magnets have been known to discolor some metallic paint. Any object that contacts a painted surface could cause damage. Ensure that all surfaces are clean before mounting.

i assume this means to remove the bag when my bike is parked in the garage not being ridden...ill also be taking it into school with me and stuff to prevent theft...but im just curious if i really have to remove it when i get home and park, etc? not a big deal, just dont understand

also... what counts as "extremely hot conditions"?

Well' date=' I guess that depends on the quality of your paint job. I've used a tank bag for more than 7 years and have never had any problems with factory paint. I scratched my first tank, by being retarded, but I'm all better now.[/quote']

ok cool....paint quality seems very high, its 11yr old and looks like it was painted yesterday, nice hard clear etc...dropped a tool on it by accident once and it didnt even leave a mark in the clear lol... just wasnt sure because i have never used a tank bag, wanted to ask those with more experience than me....thanks for the quick responce!

so if i keep it waxed and clean, ill be able to leave the bag on it, and also still use it in "extremely hot conditions"?

just want to make sure i dont do anything to mess up my tank, my bike is custom painted

Wax your tank. Cover with beach towel and go watch Twist the Throttle. Wax your tank again. Clean tank bag magnets with t-shirt or anything that won't rub off when rubbed against nylon. Attach tank bag. Go ride.

After ride, lift tank bag up by the magnets. Smoke while you are doing so.

DISCLAIMER: Matt explicitly implies warranted consent FOR Pauly.

NOTE TO SELF: Pauly is covering my paint job under warranty.

Wax your tank. Cover with beach towel and go watch Twist the Throttle. Wax your tank again. Clean tank bag magnets with t-shirt or anything that won't rub off when rubbed against nylon. Attach tank bag. Go ride.

After ride, lift tank bag up by the magnets. Smoke while you are doing so.

i dont get it...not sure what twist the throttle is, or the smoking reference...the rest sounds alright though lol

NOTE TO SELF: Pauly is covering my paint job under warranty.

i dont get it...not sure what twist the throttle is, or the smoking reference...the rest sounds alright though lol

Twist the Throttle will rock your socks off, it's a show on Discovery.

mebbe Chong meant 'Twist of the Wrist', a classic how-to-ride video, based upon the book by the same name.

'Smoking' probably meant to make sure you drop the cherry from a smoke into your gas tank, KABLOOM!, no more worries about the tank's finish - it (the tank) just won't be there any more, thus nothing to worry about.

mebbe Chong meant 'Twist of the Wrist', a classic how-to-ride video, based upon the book by the same name.

'Smoking' probably meant to make sure you drop the cherry from a smoke into your gas tank, KABLOOM!, no more worries about the tank's finish - it (the tank) just won't be there any more, thus nothing to worry about.

my tank is actually just an airbox lol....gas tank is under my seat...

ill look up the how to ride video later...i only have a few hundred miles seat time on the street plus the MSF course, couldnt hurt to watch a video.