DDM HID Kits for $35!

ohdaho

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would probably suggest the accessory harness kit for anyone going with 55w HIDs. I wish I had gotten one for both the bike and car. I NEED them for the car, but the bike is running without one for now. Hoping I don't kill the headlight harness.

I thought the wiring harness was only if you needed extra wire, or the stock wiring was not large enough to carry the necessary voltage/current.

The manual says both high and low beams operate at 55W. So I don't necessarily think the harness is absolutely necessary, is it?

I thought the wiring harness was only if you needed extra wire, or the stock wiring was not large enough to carry the necessary voltage/current.

The manual says both high and low beams operate at 55W. So I don't necessarily think the harness is absolutely necessary, is it?

Better safe then sorry. Those HID pull a TON of amps in comparison to the halogens when they first get started. If you're wrong, you could melt the wire/wiring harness and caused yourself a lot more grief.

Better safe then sorry. Those HID pull a TON of amps in comparison to the halogens when they first get started. If you're wrong, you could melt the wire/wiring harness and caused yourself a lot more grief.

happened to a guy I work with on his old 600rr

I wouldn't suggest HIDs for high beams. Takes too long to warm up the bulb and the quick high/low switching puts a big load on the whole system. I suggest low beam only.

I spliced my low beam to the high beam so the low stays on even when high beam is on. This solves the warm up problem when going form high beam back down to low (although since installing the HID I have yet to use the high beam)

At most there will be a 12amp draw for <2 seconds. Most I've seen with my 55w set up is 6amp on start up for less than 2 seconds. I run HID for high and low and do not use the harness. No issue in 10k miles

I believe my low beam is the lower (projector).

100% correct. Just doing the projector will be enough. You need to get a time delay relay (or switch) though so your light doesn't flicker when you start it (could result in premature failure of the bulb and ballast)

k4/k5 gsxr 600/750 Projector = low beam

reflector = high beam / low , dual filament

k6 and up 600/750 Projector = high beam

reflector = low beam

i figured out what i need. i'll take a H7 55w kit at 6000 or whatever it is.

if they let you buy the single motorcycle bulb kit, i'd buy that instead. but if they require buying the 2 bulb kit, i'll just buy it and figure out where to put the other one. or, if someone only needs 1 h7 bulb, i'll split the cost of that with ya instead.

i figured out what i need. i'll take a H7 55w kit at 6000 or whatever it is.

if they let you buy the single motorcycle bulb kit, i'd buy that instead. but if they require buying the 2 bulb kit, i'll just buy it and figure out where to put the other one. or, if someone only needs 1 h7 bulb, i'll split the cost of that with ya instead.

I believe I need a single H7 for my low beam/projector. I think I will split the cost with ya. How can we work that out, shipping wise?

If we can't work out something easily, I can just order separately, splitting the cost of the kit only saves me $2.50.

Edited by Goldie

Also, if I want to be a cheap bastard and not get a dual filament H4, could I get just a standard H4 for a high beam?

Or will that F the system all up?

the stock projector actually has a pretty good pattern and a good cutoff, I dont know that you will need to run the high beam. A regular cool white halogen would be fine so you can still "flash" cars or other riders. HID have a couple second warm up so you can't do that quick flash of the high beams.

Also, if I want to be a cheap bastard and not get a dual filament H4, could I get just a standard H4 for a high beam?

Or will that F the system all up?

Dunno really. You definitely won't have a high beam anymore. Not that you'll need one, lol. I'm sorry, I have no experience with the 35w kits so I can't comment on their output, look, draw, etc.

the stock projector actually has a pretty good pattern and a good cutoff, I dont know that you will need to run the high beam. A regular cool white halogen would be fine so you can still "flash" cars or other riders. HID have a couple second warm up so you can't do that quick flash of the high beams.

^ That too.

That's why I always say low beam only.

I turned my high beams on tonight and lost some vision. I have no need for high beams, one low beam HID is great!

I'm considering picking up a Ducati 999 projector lens to retrofit into the Aprilia's headlight assembly to control the light more. I don't like the upward lens flares I'm getting. Any input shitty?

100% correct. Just doing the projector will be enough. You need to get a time delay relay (or switch) though so your light doesn't flicker when you start it (could result in premature failure of the bulb and ballast)

will not result in "premature" failure. On the outside chance that it does, DDM has a no hassle lifetime warranty on their ballasts.

I've been running my DDM HIDs without a delay or relay and have had ZERO issues in over 5k miles. The 5 seconds that it may take for your engine to turn over ain't gonna do a thing to the ballast

^ That too.

That's why I always say low beam only.

I turned my high beams on tonight and lost some vision. I have no need for high beams, one low beam HID is great!

I'm considering picking up a Ducati 999 projector lens to retrofit into the Aprilia's headlight assembly to control the light more. I don't like the upward lens flares I'm getting. Any input shitty?

I did a retrofit on GSXRNurses gsxr 600 and it was a bit of a pain but I have ADD. the popular projectors are from acura TSX and the honda S2000. Any projector that you use is 100x better than a reflector housing. With that said a projector made for a HID is even better. The shape of the projector housing is different betwwen the two, with the HID projector being slightly shorter and fatter.

Motorcycle projectors have a cutoff that is straight where most if not all car projectors have a cutoff line that is slightly stepped, left side is slightly lower to keep light away from oncoming traffic.

I knew there was a difference in the lens, didn't know there was a difference in depth. Makes sense though, repositions the bulb in the housing. Which projector did you use on nurse's headlight? Did it use a D2S/D2R bulb? The reason I was looking at the Duc's projector is they are stupid cheap (read:$40) and I can use an H7 bulb with the same HID ballast I have now. I guess packaging is the only issue.

I knew there was a difference in the lens, didn't know there was a difference in depth. Makes sense though, repositions the bulb in the housing. Which projector did you use on nurse's headlight? Did it use a D2S/D2R bulb? The reason I was looking at the Duc's projector is they are stupid cheap (read:$40) and I can use an H7 bulb with the same HID ballast I have now. I guess packaging is the only issue.

I am too cheap to get the good stuff, actually I grabbed a headlight from a crash scene. It was a projector for a halogen bulb but it still works fine. Actually there is a couple of different glass lenses available. the US glass has a spiral pattern on it and the EURO market has smooth glass.

this site http://www.dealextreme.com/ has all kinds of crazy knockoff stuff from china and has different glass for the projector if you want to experiment a bit