your bike.

turboglock

I’m bored, so here goes…

I have an 08 Yamaha FZ6

Comfortable riding position

Good mpg

Very comfortable 2up

Semi-naked looks (though lots say it is an ugly bike…I like it and most naked bikes)

Good value (I bought it new and paid 7k)

Very peppy

Center stand

Very light

Stock exhaust is very quiet (good and bad/I don’t like the attention of a loud bike)

Good sport touring bike

Dislikes:

Comes with crap Dunlop tires (great for Ohio riding…straight line intended)

Seat height is high (If you’re under 6’ you will be on your tippy toes)

Digital speedo (it is easy to read, I just prefer non-digital gauges)

Powerband is really up in the 6-8+k range

Clunky 1st to 2nd gear change

Stock seat can get a bit uncomfortable for most (I’ve never had the issue though)

It is constantly confused for the FZ1/or just overlooked (Yamaha discontinued it even lol)

I really like the FZ6 and I find it to be a good all around bike. It is sporty enough to get into it and enjoy a spirited ride. It is also comfortable enough to take on long relaxing trips.

Ok, just to say I played...

I have a 2003 DL1000 Vstrom.

Affordable, for what you get there's not much else in the adventure-touring market that even comes close. It's cheap to maintain, cheap to insure, and without sacrificing much.

Versatile. There's very very little I can't do with it. From 2-up touring to fire-roads, cruising with my Hardley-Able brother to blasting through twisties, I can hit every kind of road.

Reliable, simple. Easy bike to own, maintain and very little issues.

Vtwin torque, love it love it love it. It has decent power, but it puts it all right down where I want it to be.

Comfortable.

Dislikes:

People think it's ugly. I love its utilitarian looks, but it's a bike famous for being ungainly.

Plastic where there shouldn't be plastic. It could use less fairing and less stuff to snap, break or be in the way.

Idle hammer, makes a disconcerting racket when sitting still, but not an issue.

My few gripes are nothing to the likes, I love the bike and will ride the piss out of it until I can't keep it running any longer, however long that is. There's lots of bikes out there I like, but none I want to own in its place.

Edited by swingset

I think this is the best thread idea I've ever heard of. If it takes off...people can do a search and get the nitty gritty on their possible future obsession with an HONEST assessment of the bike :)

I do want to be intelligent here and do a full review of my recently acquired gsxr. But I'm almost 43 years old and been riding bikes off and on since the age of 16 and this is my first sportbike. So 10k RPM to me is like a 12 year old boy seeing his first Playboy.

Not a damn thing bad about it and I make excuses to ride it every chance I get. YES. I am in love.....

2002 triumph sprint st

Likes;

great all around bike, you can ride 300 miles to the twistys in comfort, ride a respectable pace and cruise back home comfortably.

120 hp 73 ft lbs torque

kind of exotic

great wind protection

very solid feel

lots of farkles

easy to ride

200 miles to a tank

dislikes

lack of dealer choices

parts availability/cost of parts

no helmet lock

soft front suspension

2005 Suzuki GSXR 750 20th Anniversary

- Plenty of power

- Easy to read gauges

- Third season with it and havent had any problems with it.

- Decent storage with the solo seat

- Old school paint scheme

- Overall its fun to ride

- Compliments it recieves (by all old and young)

Dislikes:

- Riding position on long rides gets old

- Squid status that comes along with owning a GSXR

- Hard to see the coolant level in the tank

- Seems difficult to just cruise and relax (especially in town)

- Wind hits you right in the chest

- Gas light comes on at 130mi.

All in all i love the bike. I just wouldnt mind having a cruiser for the days i just feel like relaxing.

OK I'll bite

1998 Honda VFR800, the short mod list - RC51 brakes, stock brakes delinked, Traxxion Dynamics fork mods, Penske rear shock, carbon pipe, corbin seat.

Great all around sporty bike, not bad for burning twistys, but can go a week in the mountains and not kill you.

Its a V4, not an inline 4, sounds like a small block V8 with the pipe.

Reliability, havent had to fool with anything.

Gear driven cams, dont have to worry about a cam chain.

Decent power - I like the midrange and runs solid to redine. No dips or snatchy bottom. Probly could knock out low 11s.

Single sided swingarm!

Rear wheel drops off in 5 minutes with a lug wrench.

Center stand.

Great fit and finish.

It kinda rare, you dont see too many.

Dislikes

Um, um.....

It tends to run a little warmer than I would like in stop n go traffic.

The rear rotor is centered in the middle of the rear wheel, so its impossible to keep clean. Clean it and 50 miles later, brake dust is everywhere again.

OK - the dislikes is really a BS list, Chances are I will have a VFR in my garage for a long time. Its the do it all, swiss army knife bike. You could run out to Colorado and be reasonably comfortable and then still hang with the gxsr crowd if you are a good enuff rider.

Edited by mello dude

06 600rr

-shes beautiful even for being a little older

-smooth powerband, i have seriously said this since the day i got her and i dynoed it two years after i brought her home and the power curve was just straight gorgeous!

-enough power to get the job done, but not too much, though i wouldnt mind having a little more

-its a honda

-parts are everywhere

-600rr.net c'mon its the best bike specific forum out there and those of you who are members know

-she goes both ways, i have used her as a track slut many times and i have had no issues with her at all. its a great trackbike/road bike its easy to break down and put back together and if someone was looking for the perfect bike to street and track i would suggest a first or second generation 600rr. end of story.

-i have no comfort issues with it whatsoever thats always a plus.

dislikes:

-everyone has one!!! wherever you go you will see at least 5 other 600rr's

-the oil filter!!! c'mon honda whos idea was it to encase the oil filter inside of the headers!? that guy obviously had family that descended from hiroshima....

-the whole rear end is a pain to work on as well. for some reason changing the rear tire isnt as easy it should be and the rear shock is a pain to work with.

but thats about it.

Number 2

1999 Honda Valkyrie

The engine is a flat 6 and sounds amazing, Porsche like. Smooooth.

Its kinda like a frickn huge engine with bike attached.

Torque out the wazzzooo. I shift lots of times at 1800 rpm.

Not a V2.

Still a good looking for a bling bike.

6 carbs

Outstanding as the king cruiser, lay back and enjoy. Great for 2 up.

The other half, wack the throttle and it moves right now!

Shaft drive

Still get complements, not bad for a 10 year old bike.

Its kinda funky wierd and unusual, rarely see another one.

Dislikes

Gas milage sucks, about 30 mpg, at about 125 mile on a tank you better be think about a gas stop.

Chrome is a PIA to keep clean.

Replacing the rear tire is a major ordeal, you have to pull headers/pipes, mucho ass end parts just to get to the wheel.

For me, the bike is not really a good long haul ride. All the weight is on your ass and you sit upright. After 1100 - 1200 miles it gets my back aching.

Screwing with the windshield - stiil dont have the thing to point that I like it. The wind buffeting just drive me nuts for a trip. - For in town cruising I take it off.

Wierd that I bought the thing for long distance touring, but ended up not liking it for that. But its such an outstanding cruiser, I'll never sell.

One to go fast, one to go slow. What is it today - Dr. Jekyll or Mr Hyde?

Edited by mello dude

2002-2007 Honda 919 (CB900F)

Pros:

1. Does everything you ask of it really well. It can sport, tour, commute and stunt.

2. Fairly light weight, same as a Honda CB550, but with at least twice the horsepower and maybe triple the torque.

3. Bullet proof FireBlade engine.

4. Low maintenance. And lots of cheap used parts available.

5. Lots of kit parts available.

6. Low cost of initial purchase, and 45mpg.

7. Zero service recalls.

8. 380 watt alternator output.

9. Cheap insurance, and nobody wants to steal it.

10. Fuel injection is a winner.

11. Nobody knows what it is.

12. Wheelies for free.

Cons:

1. All those kit parts are mostly in Europe.

2. Limited colors from the factory.

3. Drive chains on early models were too long, but removing a link works.

4. Takes a year to learn how to not wheelie all the time.

5. Touchy throttle play at off idle, takes a year to learn to control that too.

Edited by ReconRat

2002 Aprilia RSV Mille

- The TORQUE!

- The sound is amazing with the right exhaust

- Turn in is easy and the bike is rock solid through corners

- Powering out of a turn and hearing that baritone wail behind you

- Exclusivity

- Simple to maintain (surprisingly)

- Easy bodywork removal (anyone who's worked on a new R6 knows where I'm coming from)

- Comfort, the bike is long and tall and it fits me well

- Chassis seems unflappable, never really have headshake even without a steering dampener

- It looks different. I like that

- Rock solid motor, has 36,000 miles on it now and no major maintenance:D

Dislikes

- Finicky electrical system

- Useless mirrors (first rule of Italian riding, what'sa behind you is no importa)

- Useless rear brake

- Weak sprag clutch

- Resale value (who cares though)

2002 Aprilia RSV Mille

- The TORQUE!

- The sound is amazing with the right exhaust

- Turn in is easy and the bike is rock solid through corners

- Powering out of a turn and hearing that baritone wail behind you

- Exclusivity

- Simple to maintain (surprisingly)

- Easy bodywork removal (anyone who's worked on a new R6 knows where I'm coming from)

- Comfort, the bike is long and tall and it fits me well

- Chassis seems unflappable, never really have headshake even without a steering dampener

- It looks different. I like that

- Rock solid motor, has 36,000 miles on it now and no major maintenance:D

Dislikes

- Finicky electrical system

- Useless mirrors (first rule of Italian riding, what'sa behind you is no importa)

- Useless rear brake

- Weak sprag clutch

- Resale value (who cares though)

surprised that the aprilia has finicky electrical problems.

surprised that the aprilia has finicky electrical problems.

Sarcasm?

Anything Italian has electrical issues. Lol

The Ape just has a hard time with keeping batteries charged. The entire chargig system can't recharge a battery but it can maintain it. So I have to keep it on a battery tender whenever it's not being used. Coupled with the fact that a part of the ECU is running at all times creating a drain on the battery means that you really have to stay on top of it.

I learned my lesson with this when it fired right up one morning for a ride, got to the first rest stop and wouldn't start again. The rest of that day involved loading the bike into a truck and driving home.

I learned my lesson with this when it fired right up one morning for a ride, got to the first rest stop and wouldn't start again. The rest of that day involved loading the bike into a truck and driving home.

precisely why I won't use a battery tender, they mask battery problems better than they prevent them (not that you really have a choice)

If it were me, I'd get fed up with it and install a battery isolation switch on that Iti.

If it were me, I'd get fed up with it and install a battery isolation switch on that Iti.

And then the dash would reset, my mileage would be incorrect, and my title would have a nice "mileage discrepancy" note on it. Yeah, not happening. I'll deal with my finicky little Iti. :)

And then the dash would reset, my mileage would be incorrect, and my title would have a nice "mileage discrepancy" note on it. Yeah, not happening. I'll deal with my finicky little Iti. :)

i doubt that...youre saying if you remove the battery the mileage will get completely wiped out?

i know nothing about those bikes, but i know for certain that it does not work like that.

i doubt that...youre saying if you remove the battery the mileage will get completely wiped out?

i know nothing about those bikes, but i know for certain that it does not work like that.

It's a problem on the RSVRs, the dash can randomly reset for some odd reason and it WILL clear mileage. The Milles aren't known for doing it as much, but why take the risk?

It's a problem on the RSVRs, the dash can randomly reset for some odd reason and it WILL clear mileage. The Milles aren't known for doing it as much, but why take the risk?

oh i see...its a problem, i thought you were saying it was designed to reset like that....

theres gotta be a way to track your charging problem and fix it, i never see them on battery tenders in the dealership!

buy bike new (so the title says 0 and it wont matter what teh cluster says)...ride for 30k, put new battery in it, ride for 2k, sell it as "low mile 2k" bike ...profit?

oh i see...its a problem, i thought you were saying it was designed to reset like that....

theres gotta be a way to track your charging problem and fix it, i never see them on battery tenders in the dealership!

buy bike new (so the title says 0 and it wont matter what teh cluster says)...ride for 30k, put new battery in it, ride for 2k, sell it as "low mile 2k" bike ...profit?

Lol, they don't always reset mileage, sometimes it's just dash preferences, but if the battery voltage goes too low in storage I've heard of it happening. Aprilia replaced some whole dashes on RSVRs to try and solve the problem but some people still lost mileage.

There's things I can do to improve charging of the battery when it's started, I've just been too lazy to do it right now. But overall if the bike is stored for a few days without a tender, it will act up until it's gotten a chance to sit on said tender. Like I said, the charging system can currently keep a battery charged, just not re-charge one.

As for bikes in dealerships, most of them sit with batterys out or unplugged.

OK I'll bite

1998 Honda VFR800, the short mod list - RC51 brakes, stock brakes delinked, Traxxion Dynamics fork mods, Penske rear shock, carbon pipe, corbin seat.

THIS!!!! I came here to mention this. Everyone edit your posts with any mods you have done to your bikes! Small things can make a BIG difference. Seats, sprockets, suspension etc. can really change the feel of a bike. I'll post about mine later though hahaha.

1996 Yamaha FZR 600

Older look stands out against newer sportsbikes

Comfortable riding postion isn't too far forward

Plenty of power and speed for normal, sane riding. Not read for stupid fast yet.

Parts are not too hard to come by for relatively cheap.

Cool that back in the 90's this was a top competitor bike

Single sided exhaust makes use of the helmet lock possible, my Ninja 250 had dual exhaust.

cheap insurance

Dislikes:

Aftermarket mods are hard to come by

At low speeds and RPM's it likes to lurch a bit, might be a tuning issue

Valve adjustments are done by shims and not by locking screws.

I tend to slide up on the seat a lot and the gas tank cover gets into my junk

Stock mirrors let me see my shoulders/elbows

Mods:

Other than paint, nothing major.

THIS!!!! I came here to mention this. Everyone edit your posts with any mods you have done to your bikes! Small things can make a BIG difference. Seats, sprockets, suspension etc. can really change the feel of a bike. I'll post about mine later though hahaha.

Looking at the likes/dislikes I wrote, its really the same with or without the mods. The except for the brake work, the stuff I changed is fairly standard upgrades anyhoo. :cool:

Ok - the stockish springs are a bit soft and I dont like linked brakes. :eek: