your bike.

turboglock

Pro's

Great handling, plenty of power in the midrange (4k on up)

Smooth engine for a V-twin

Unique, haven't seen another, although didn't see another 690 when I had it

Really comfy seat for distance riding

Upright seating position so this old back doesn't get kinked even on a 1300 mile round trip

Good handling on Smokey Mtn fireroads

Really low maintenance... After break-in 7500 mile valve adjustments and oil changes

Lots of folks asking where'd I find such a big dirt bike

Con's

Low mpg....around 30mpg...5 gal tank helps a little but honestly it's still not broken in.....a little over 4k miles

Poor factory backing on known issues

a) drive chain slap dealer couldn't figure out (will try new chain and sprockets this spring)

b) rear brake squeal (not really a problem but embarrasing imo, dealer recommends softer compound rear pads)

Ktm aknowledges both problems but offer no solutions.

Closest dealer I've found to Dayton is Louisville

So far only added Garmin 550, power outlet and R&G tail tidy

Soon to be added Akro ti full system with a dyno tune

there is a ktm dealer right in reynoldsburg just about 15 min east of columbus.

there is a ktm dealer right in reynoldsburg just about 15 min east of columbus.

I know, bought my 690 from Wally, doesn't carry the street line anymore with the exception of the Adventure

There are a lot of KTM dealers in Oh but from the months of research I did before purchasing they're all dirt line dealers

I'll play:

93 Honda ST1100, 130K miles, MODS: 40amp alternator upgrade, 3 windshields (93stock, 96stock, Rifle +4 tall) 3 seats (stock, Corbin, Travelcade Gel), fork brace, Progressive Suspension front springs/rear shock, Audiovox CCS100 Cruise Control, Lowrance iWay 500C GPS, Heli-bars, Hondaline small top box, Classic Industries trailer hitch, Whelen TIR3 LED flashing brake light, FIAMM horns, K&N filter, PAIR system (air pump) removed, AutoCom intercom, home-built one-wheeled trailer

Was cheap when purchased used, and insurance is reasonable.

UBER reliable!!

7.5Gal fuel tank/300mile range

1gal oil capacity/8K miles between changes

Handles decent for as big/heavy as it is; well planted in turns

Great for 2-up!

V4 Engine is smooth as silk, will run triple-digits all day long.

Decent power and torque

Handles well even at parking lot speed, well balanced.

Has "Tip over wings" for the inevitable tip overs; little or no damage if dropped.

Excellent weather protection

Not too hot in the summer

Outstanding owner following on numerous forums

Panniers will hold a full-faced helmet

Dislikes:

740# + wet weight

Short tire life, 8K rear/12-15K front

Top-heavy! While pushing her about, once she leans more than a few degrees, she's goin' down!

Have you ever had to pick up a 700+# motorcycle?

Brakes could be better

Can be a hand-full in cross winds

"Rarer" Honda, most techs have never worked on them.

She needs a paint job!

Still trying to find the "right" seat. Need $$ for Russel or Ron Meyer...

Can never find 6th gear (it's a 5 speed, dummy!)

Good thing it's not 1" taller in the saddle!

Lots of tupperware to pull to do most any maintenance.

All-in-all the ST1100 is a great bike! I would buy another in a heart beat. I prefer it to the ST1300. I use it as my commuter to work, for weekend runs through S/E Ohio area, and a few longer trips. I can load up the trailer with the camping gear, put the wife or daughter on back and take off for weekend trips with ease and confidence.

1973 Honda CB350F. I bought this bike in non-running condition straight out of a barn were it had been stored since 1984. Did a few minor repairs and have since put about 15K on it since 2009 when i got it.

Simple as a hammer. I can fix nearly anything on this bike with 2 screwdrivers and 2 wrenches.

The noise it makes is absolutely amazing, I've been told it sounds like an old Ferrari. This sounds way better than the bigger Honda 4's IMO.

This bike is super smooth. No vibrations, ever, any speed or RPM.

Chicks dig it, It's classy. A girl that wouldn't ever get on a crotch rocket will actually ride this bike, since its small and non-threatening.

Perfect riding position. You can sit upright and putt around town, or throw your feet back on the passenger pegs and lay completely flat on the tank. Previous standards i had weren't comfortable laying down on.

Super reliable. I've ridden this bike all over the midwest, north east, and parts of canada with no issues. I've ran interstates for hours at a time screaming along at 8000 RPM and it hasn't missed a beat. Regular points and valve adjustments is all it requires.

Dislikes:

It's slow. Really slow. But hey, It's nearly twice as old as i am, and really friggin tiny.

Fuel mileage is terrible for its size. I've never hit 50mpg with it. Loaded interstate riding sometimes it drops into the 30's. Around town it's not so bad.

This bike really needed a 6th gear. It got one in '75 with the 400F. 5th gear, 75mph it's screaming along at 7500 rpm.

Crappy brakes, non existent when it's raining. If its been sitting out in the rain, you've gotta ride the front brake for a few blocks before its even going to attempt to work.

If you ever come across one of these bikes, Do yourself a favor and buy it. Mine is the slowest bike I've ever ridden, and yet it never fails to put a smile on my face ever single time i ride it.

• Upvote 1