getting to track days

standout

for all of us non-truck non-trailer owners. Anyone have any suggestions on how to get bikes to and from the track. I am doing my first trackday in june and need a way to get the bike back and forth but i really don't want to depend on another person (i.e. borrow, have someone else trailer). I have thought about renting a truck. Any other suggestions.

1. Buy a trailer

2. Rent a trailer

3. Buy a truck

4. Rent a truck

5. Be a man and ride your bike to the track.

5 is worst idea ever. That is assuming your track bike is street legal, but still a terrible idea. When I get to the track the last thing I want to think about is, taking mirrors off, taping shit up, bla bla. I want my bike ready to roll as soon as I roll it off the trailer..

1. Buy a trailer - good idea

2. Rent a trailer - not a bad option

3. Buy a truck - kinda expensive

4. Rent a truck - not a bad option

5. Get a ride with someone who has a trailer - great idea also

well after checking with enterprise from friday to monday is considered 3 days at $70 a day i will probably just rent if i can't find someone to roll with me.

riding a bike 3 hours away. doing a trackday and riding 3 hours back is not an option.

Finding someone that is going (friend) is always a good idea. I have taken several bikes(Whodey+wrecked return,Enenen,tomato racing, RFM) to trackdays and races if I am going there. Only makes sense to do it if someone has the space and ability to take a bike for you. Its less hassle then you think and safer then riding back after a track day. Worn out #1 or if you should wreck and then your stranded at the track making calls anyways.

And they do make hitches for cars, I thought someone posted a few months back of a hitch on their sports car for just this purpose. Etrailer.com has about everything you need. My old truck's hitch and system came from there and I put it on myself in about an hour or so.

5 is worst idea ever. That is assuming your track bike is street legal, but still a terrible idea. When I get to the track the last thing I want to think about is, taking mirrors off, taping shit up, bla bla. I want my bike ready to roll as soon as I roll it off the trailer..

Honestly - riding to the track is a practical alternative. If the logistics of getting your bike to the track are the only thing stopping you from doing a track-day (and the immense benefits to be gained), then treat riding there as an option. Perhaps not optimum, but easily do-able. I've done it 3 times. Prep-time upon arrival is normally less than 30 minutes. Seems to me that most people's bikes at track days are street-legal anyway.

I would suggest arriving with good tires, a full gas tank, bringing loads of water bottles, and arranging some garage space for while you are there (in case of sweltering heat... or rain).

Edit:

While I was typing - the O.P. added that riding to the track day is not an option for him. Understood - it's not everyone's cup of tea!

Edited by bambam

Riding to a track day should not be an option period. You cannot possibly carry everything you SHOULD have with you. If you crash you are completly screwed. If you ride even remotely like you should on a track you will not feel like riding home at all.

One track day van rental would pay for a cheap used trailer.

1. Buy a trailer - good idea

2. Rent a trailer - not a bad option

3. Buy a truck - kinda expensive

4. Rent a truck - not a bad option

5. Get a ride with someone who has a trailer - great idea also

+11111111 on option 5 : )

My last TD I had lunch with a guy that was riding from track to track in his GSXR600. He had soft luggage and, i guess a roll of tape. He was leaving Mid O and heading to carolina motorsports park. And get this... He was at least 60 years old. Also.. he was passing me all day.Im not that fast, but that shit impressed me. So.. You can ride to track days.

i don't know very many people from the forum. I do know tomato racing but he's leaving soon and kawasaki guy but i'm pretty sure he doesn't have a truck or trailer.

sjc1000rr i'm pretty sure i've met you once or twice but wouldn't want to put that responsibility on a stanger.

As far as hitches for my cars. They are both four cylinders over 15 years old with over 130k on them. I just don't wanna risk it. Plus i am bringing my entire family and we are making a weekend camping trip out of it so they will be loaded down with people and camping gear. I have 8 weeks until the day. Guess i need to become a more active member and meet some of u guys. lol

sjc1000rr i'm pretty sure i've met you once or twice but wouldn't want to put that responsibility on a stanger.

lol

Ya might have, IDK. I'm not good with names for the most part. As for responsibility on a stranger...its no issue with me. I pretty much just put out the offer if I have room and someone can take it. I picked up just about everyone but Whodey on the previous trips as its along the way for the most part.

Sent you a PM on what days I'm looking at and let see if we can work something out.

dude.. me and kawiguy and tomato run aorund all the time... if your ever going to a day and need a lift.. and one of us has room feel free, were all cool and not sheep bangers like some of the guys on here ;)

I think I may have met u with tomato, twizted. Up north we round around. Your wife have a cbr?

Sjc1000rr Dont feel bad. I'm bad with names and probably couldn't pick u out of a crowd but just putting some facts together I'm pretty sure I've met u. I visited tomato at his first track day at mid Ohio last year and I may have also seen u when we rode out walnut creek pike and out to 33. I appreciate your offer and pmd u back.

I pull a trailer with my GTI. 2 sport bikes, no problem.

I think the real question is. What event is this and who else is going. There is bound to be space on someone's trailer. Depending on the distance slip them some cash or case of beer and you've got new friends and a ride. For your very first track day it's the way to go.

As far as riding to the track day. I know a bunch of people are balking at it but if it is nearby like Mid-OH and you are riding a novice track day it's not a big deal. I know some people who have done it. You'll be tired and probably not want to ride home but I'm sure you'll live.

I wish I could help - I've got a truck but no trailer, receiver but no hitch, trailer light wiring but no brakes. I've always travelled alone and pack the truck pretty good. I might be able to put two bikes in the bed, but it would be a little sketchy with the tiedown angles and I need to get the ramps in there too. Guess it depends how much you value your bike.

I also only do one day at a time wherever I go, and if I'm going to Nelson or Beaver I usually crash at my parents' near Cleveland.

Riding from Columbus to Midohio wouldn't be bad. A friend of mine rode from Cleveland and back in the pouring rain for his first day. Of course I was his backup plan. Riding from Columbus to Beaver would be a bit ridiculous, but I'm a wuss when it comes to long distance motorcycle riding. I hung out with a guy at Midohio once that rode in from Indy. If you bin it three hours away though...

Anyhow, hope we all meet up sometime and maybe we can figure some things out.