New Service Van is having issues

max power

Transmission has left the building. Anyone know where to get a good AXOD transmission for a 98 windstar?

Does anyone have a car dolly or trailer I can borrow to get it to the transmission man in Sommerset?

40k miles and a bad trans. Gotta love the Fords. :monkeypoo:

After doing some more research, its an AX4S transmission I need. Does anyone know if an ax4s Taurus trans. is compatible?

Edited by max power

It might be just the torque converter , Ford is known for that in a lot of thier auto.trans. , the pump drive splines go byby and it just will not go .

I don't know how yours is acting but it could be? but you still got to pull the tranny out to get to it . Good Luck :dunno:

According to Wiki, these cars all used the same trans.:

AX4S

The AXOD-E was renamed AX4S in 1993. In addition to the name change, improvements in the lubrication of the gearset and capacity upgrades were made. A centrifugal piston assembly was implemented in the intermediate clutch position to improve 1st-2nd and 2nd-1st shift quality and an increase in the clutch's durability was made on some models. High energy friction materials were also introduced. A new twin piston torque converter clutch (TCC) was introduced with the AX4S and the AX4N on some models. The transaxle pan on this model will sometimes read "AXOD Metric" since it's based on the AXOD transaxle. The data plate code for this transmission is "L."

Applications:

1993–1994 Lincoln Continental

1993–2003 Ford Taurus

1993–2003 Mercury Sable

1995–2000 Ford Windstar

Do we have any transmission experts that can tell me if they are all compatible?

Max, I know for a FACT that the AX4N and AX4S are not compatible, although it's juts the electronics that keep it from working. I switched one here from a donor car, and was fortunate to have the computer that I could swap into it. Everything else bolted up the same! Same year, same engine, everything else the same on the car.

I'm pretty sure the Taurus version is the same as the windstar version, as long as they're the same trans model, S or N.

I have rebuilt a few of them, but I really don't like to rebuild that one. The ford and GM front wheel drives suxxxxx...

Cool, I found a guy out in Sommerset that will change it out for $300 + a used trans. Think he could do me any better?

I was gonna recommend you rebuild it STRONGER.

If anybody knows tranny guys, it's yota.

;)

You sum bitch

And thank you for my new sig. :lol:

wonderful. Just wonderful. :lol:

Will do Yota, give me a call.

Does anyone know for sure if the taurus/sable trans will work in the Windstar? Is the computer all I will need out of the Taurus?

If it's not the same trans, it will not work. I think you said in the OP that it's the AX4S, as long as you find a AX4S, all should be fine. It's when you switch AX4S with AX4N that you run into problems, and I doubt you could run it on the Taurass computer.

That is unless you could get the AX4N in the windstar, and you were to find the computer for one of those. Things get crazy when switching computers into the wrong vehicle. The one we did was all fine except we had to have the thing programmed to accept the key, as it was new enough that it used the transponder keys, which I'm doubting your van would have.

I can't remember, is the van a 3.0, or a 3.8?

Edited by jporter12

OK, it looks like I have an AX4S trans. with a build code of L on the door sticker under TR. I have found that there were 2 different models of this transmission used that year and I need one that was built before 9/97 as my van was built in May of 97. What a PITA.

same issue I had with the taurus dude... f-n POS ford transmissions... I think I saw one that were usable down at pick n pull the last time I was down there...if you wanna swap it for another POS that may or may not have been rebuilt...

same issue I had with the taurus dude... f-n POS ford transmissions... I think I saw one that were usable down at pick n pull the last time I was down there...if you wanna swap it for another POS that may or may not have been rebuilt...

Mind telling what you ended up doing Moose? I'm just curious.

Supposedly the same exact drivetrain brotha man. although all the junkyards say I cant use one from a Taurus, no one can tell me why. So, yeah, what did you end up doing?