first track day, first impressions

Hoblick

oh yeah and there was like 6 people who went down yesterday.. nothing major

there was a younger kid on a newer cbr600 who mangled it up pretty good. looked to be his street bike.. he went out one session and then spent the rest of the day in the pits cleaning the mud off of it and trying to get it to start lol..

he busted up the front end and both side fairings

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude this is amazing info and insight. Ive only been riding since beginning of march. I want to eventually hit up a track day but want some more experience before i go. Im hoping next year or possibly sooner ill go. But nonetheless, really detailed experienced of what i can expect, thanks!

At the bus stop turn in the morning??

it had rained prior to the start of the day... so morning or not it was slick.. but yes at turn 7... which were the first 2 of the day..

and then a couple at 8

I'd love to do a track day, but certainly not on the triumph!

It's no problem taking the road bike onto the track. Just swap out the coolant, and you can take it in the N or I class. The N class, you really have to be numb to wreck, because you're on a slow pace, following an established line. The I class is a bit sketchier, because any idiot can claim to be I, but there are fast people in there too.

Ride to your abilities, and you don't need a bike collection to have a fast and aggressive day out on the track.

I'd love to do a track day, but certainly not on the triumph!

I did several track days with STT on my 02 Sprint ST down in Florida. It will be fine on the track.

Don't pay no attention to Todd, he is just jealous that he can't roll on the throttle at 4k rpm and find the begining of the power band.:burnout:

call Brian he can set up your suspension $ 75.614 282 44 09

he racing and he is also instructor at mid ohio.he can help you one on one there

$75 to set sag and turn knobs? No way...

Hob-

Grab two buddies. Set sag around 35-38mm. Get the suspension to where compression and rebound acts similar. It's easy and no need to spend $75...

No offense, Rusty...:smile:

oh yeah and there was like 6 people who went down yesterday.. nothing major

nice meeting you Hoblick.

I think there were more than 6 people went down though. I witnessed 5 people crash or run off track.

2 in the first session, then 3 more in the 5th session. In all but 1 case, I was one or two bikes behind the person who crashed, so I had a front-row seat for the action.

it definitely got sketchy during the 2nd afternoon session and beyond. the 'spitting' rain didn't really make the track look wet, but it absolutely compromised the grip. I had two pucker-moments within 10 seconds of those 3 guys going down. It got crazy real quick. First guy had his rear slide, recovered, but rode off track. the guy immediately behind him target-fixated and followed him off. I was the third. The next turn, the guy (now 2 bikes in front of me) lost the rear, while my rear tire slid as well.

They red-flagged the session at that point, and I was just happy to make it around to the pits with the bike still upright.

call Brian he can set up your suspension $ 75.614 282 44 09

he racing and he is also instructor at mid ohio.he can help you one on one there

Not to bust Brian's balls, either, but I don't think I'd go to him for setup info... I certainly wouldn't pay $75 for a novice racer with less than a year's experience setting my stuff up.

Call Reuben at 35 Motorsports or someone like that. There's enough experienced riders out there to help. I saw Agnes was there - I'd suggest him.

$75 to set sag and turn knobs? No way...

Hob-

Grab two buddies. Set sag around 35-38mm. Get the suspension to where compression and rebound acts similar. It's easy and no need to spend $75...

No offense, Rusty...:smile:

thanks for the suggestions..

i cant wait to get some more learning experience with you guys at gingerman... hopefully i can get one of the control riders to tow me around a few laps and then see if he can follow me to give me some pointers, and suggestions.

id like all the input i can get to help me along

Hob, there is a book at barnes & noble called sportbike suspension tuning by andrew trevitt. Goes into depth on explaining what everything controls and how you can expect the bike to react to different adjustments. Its a pretty nice book and every chapter is about one aspect like setting sag, preload, etc.

Hob, there is a book at barnes & noble called sportbike suspension tuning by andrew trevitt. Goes into depth on explaining what everything controls and how you can expect the bike to react to different adjustments. Its a pretty nice book and every chapter is about one aspect like setting sag, preload, etc.

sweet ill have to check it out

Turn One was $60. Not cheap, but I thought it was well worth it 1) because they did it fast (took them 40 minutes - would have taken me well over an hour, and I'd still be second-guessing myself) and 2) because they'll stand behind their work and tweak stuff with you all day.

Marshall also watched the another guy 'jump' on my suspension to see the compression and rebound in action, and they made adjustments accordingly.

You can get a friend or two to help you do it, but there were 3 guys from Turn One working on my bike at once, some of the time with me sitting on it in a race tuck to simulate riding. I don't have that many friends who know enough about bikes to trust their judgment!

Not to bust Brian's balls, either, but I don't think I'd go to him for setup info... I certainly wouldn't pay $75 for a novice racer with less than a year's experience setting my stuff up.

Call Reuben at 35 Motorsports or someone like that. There's enough experienced riders out there to help. I saw Agnes was there - I'd suggest him.

i am talking abouth Brian Evens,he is novice rider?he race with you last season at mid ohio,and he was last week as instructor at mid ohio on the KTM ,he have white dainese suit.get your facts strait. he set up my bike and all my friends and we are all happy.

he know what is doing and for sure he is 100% better than the suspension guy Jason you guys have when STT run mid ohio,

he charge $ 50 for 10 minutes working on the bike,and do shit.:cool:

Really good thread, and great timing as well :) Seems like some of the board has a bit of track day fever with Gingerman fast approaching and the NESBA event that was recently announced.

The 16th can't come soon enough :D

thanks for the suggestions..

i cant wait to get some more learning experience with you guys at gingerman... hopefully i can get one of the control riders to tow me around a few laps and then see if he can follow me to give me some pointers, and suggestions.

id like all the input i can get to help me along

Just ask one of us. I will be directing that event, I think... Just ask me after Rider's Meeting.