SOOO who here uses Shell Rotella T Oil in their bikes?

Dubguy85

Not me. I spend $50.00 on oil and filter per change for MC specific Synthetic oil and a OEM filter. Oil is not a place I wish to cheap out. If you change it every third track day it is still only just a bit more than $16.00 per track day. Why take a chance?

I use it in my dirtbike, CRF250R. Haven't had any issues and it's been 4 years. I change it every 2-3 practice days. Thought about switching the R1 over to it but haven't yet. I've heard a lot of people use it in streetbikes with no issues.

Not me. I spend $50.00 on oil and filter per change for MC specific Synthetic oil and a OEM filter. Oil is not a place I wish to cheap out. If you change it every third track day it is still only just a bit more than $16.00 per track day. Why take a chance?

Thats the thing, its not taking a chance if its been tested for 4 or 5 years. I don't mind paying extra $16 if its worth it, but if its not, I don't wanna just waste money.

Go the extra few bucks if you plan to keep your bike for a while. I think Mobile 1 MXT4 is the best. They may have changed the name to Mobile 1 Race T4, but its the best that I have found. And the best place to get it is UDF. Best luck

Thats the thing, its not taking a chance if its been tested for 4 or 5 years. I don't mind paying extra $16 if its worth it, but if its not, I don't wanna just waste money.

If I can find a reputable test that uses Rotella in a bike that is just like mine for maybe........50,000 or 100,000 miles than yes I agree. Till then Ill stick with what I know is made for the high RPM that our motorcycles see as well as the high loads our transmission gears see and is wet clutch safe.

Go the extra few bucks if you plan to keep your bike for a while. I think Mobile 1 MXT4 is the best. They may have changed the name to Mobile 1 Race T4, but its the best that I have found. And the best place to get it is UDF. Best luck

It has been changed to Racing 4T... sometimes you can still find old stock label MX4T. And quit telling people my UDF secret damn it! :)

There does seem to be quite a following of Rotella, lots of the touing bikes guys are using it. I'm not there yet, but curious. For the moment I'm on M1 Mx4T 10-40 or 4T Racing as its called now.

-Really I think it comes down to - as long as you change your oil at resonable intervals, there is no bad oil.

-- BTW I went to the local QSL bike night and there was a funny drag car in the parking lot. Guess what oil they are using? Yeah - Rotella..

Edited by mello dude

Used it for the first time, the 6T full synthetic a lot of people on the venture forum have used it for years and it also has the rating on the bottle that is required for my bike "New Rotella T -T6 oils have motorcycle "JASO MA" approval "

That calsci article is AWESOME! I learned a HUGE amount on oil from there!

Rotella works GREAT for the constant mesh gears in the transmission, since it still retains a lot of the high pressure additives, not to mention the 15w40 range means it doesn't need as much of the viscosity modifiers of say, a 10w40.

I Just started using Rotella 15w40 dino, without any issues. I spent hours researching this oil, and found a lot of good info at www.bobistheoilguy.com You will find a lot of happy bikers that use it, and our happy with the results. Also, check out this link from the Shell website. They have a TL 1000 owner who races his bike, using Rotella. Look how clean his motor is after 65k.

http://www.shellusserver.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3081&page=1#Post3081

Speaking as an engineer; I looked into the Rotella during previous threads on oil, and saw that there are compelling reasons to use the Rotella in a motorcycle. Although I still prefer to use a JASO-MA semi-synthetic motorcycle oil. Cheap or not.

Speaking as a smartass; Oh yes, I always use API CJ-4 diesel truck oil in my diesel truck motorcycle. No, wait...

Edited by ReconRat