Looking for cheap filters and oil

- JJJ -

I've been thinking about going that route.

Just did it to everything I own and can tell you without a doubt it has made a difference. Most notably in the Buell and the Sumo, they sound completely different when they are running...MUCH Quieter... and they run cooler.

Just did it to everything I own and can tell you without a doubt it has made a difference. Most notably in the Buell and the Sumo, they sound completely different when they are running...MUCH Quieter... and they run cooler.

:plus1: Been running in the bike for 16k and it's great. Runs cooler and shifts so much better than dino oil or HD syn 3 (VROD has wet clutch). Amsoil claims you can go twice the stock suggested interval between oil changes, but I usually just add 50% to the stock interval.

Switched the cars over last year and glad I did. It's nice only changing your oil once a year or 35k miles. Especially when you consider how difficult it is to get rid of waste oil when you live in the tree hugger capital of the USA

:plus1: Been running in the bike for 16k and it's great. Runs cooler and shifts so much better than dino oil or HD syn 3 (VROD has wet clutch). Amsoil claims you can go twice the stock suggested interval between oil changes, but I usually just add 50% to the stock interval.

Switched the cars over last year and glad I did. It's nice only changing your oil once a year or 35k miles. Especially when you consider how difficult it is to get rid of waste oil when you live in the tree hugger capital of the USA

You're running 35k on an oil change? :eek:

Good luck with that.

I get unmarked Purolator filters in a factory six pack, in either black or chrome, from Amazon. Dirt cheap.

And oil weighs too much to save much money when mail ordering it.

Walmart

Super Tech oil filter $3

Big jug of Shell Rotella T 15w-40 $25 (enough for at least two oil changes)

The air filters on my bike can be cleaned and reused. I haven't had to replace them yet.

I change the oil every 3k miles. It's inexpensive and easy to do. I take the old oil back to walmart or advance auto to be recycled.

For $10 you can buy cat litter in a plastic resealable container. Put the cat litter in a plastic trash bag and use the container to keep your old oil till you get to the recycle shop. The cat litter is also great if you spill some oil on the floor. I use a cheap alumnium foil baking pan that I bought for $1 to catch the oil as it comes out of the bike.

If you can find a bike specific website like this you might be able to find alternatives to motorcycle filters http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6008

Edited by newOldUser

• 1 year later...
You're running 35k on an oil change? :eek:

Good luck with that.

I just feel the need to bring up dead threads....

I used AMSOil in my '99 Kia Rio. Did the once/year oil change, ran perfectly up to 176,000 miles until the daughter totalled the car...haven't used anything else in my vehicles since.

I get fram filters from wally around $4..oil I get mobile clean 5000 for the wifes shadow( sup to be hi detergents level)..and my bikes only ever had Suzuki oil in it so the cheapest place to find it is IP..but usually get it at the stealership to save the drive

Eh, maybe some life in this old thread yet.........I swapped my Ninja to Amsoil this year, it always had Mobil in it since new. Converted the wifes air-cooled Intruder over at the same time, but its been so Godawful hot this summer that I cant tell if it helped 'em run cooler or not:D:D

Either way, did it for peace of mind more than anything.......or at least it helped to quiet some of the voices in my head ;)