How long is your work commute?

r6allstar

Have been thinking about moving closer to the Mansfield area (family) but I still want to keep my job in Columbus. Not sure if it is worth it to commute 140 miles a day (4 day weeks) or if I should just not bother with the stress it would create. Only good part is that it is basically straight down 71 the whole way but I would dread getting home at 6 every night just to leave for work by 6:30 or 7 every morning.

Who here has the longest commute to work? How bad is it?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 47 mile commute one way for my job thats 95% highway but I get a truck from work and they pay gas so I don't mind. I choose to live where I do because of friends and things to do. I don't mind because its 45 mins of music and no traffic because of where my office is located.

Also, prior to our new office being built I was making the 60 mile one way commute that took a little over an hour and let me tell you that 20 minute difference seems huge to me now

My roommate used to work in Downtown Cleveland (17 mins normally) but took him 45 because of traffic so I'll take my extra mileage over traffic any day.

Allot of the people I work with have done the 1hr commute but said that by the time 1 year goes by, you'll want to move closer ASAP. that 1 hr commute during regular traffic turns into 3-5 hrs easy during accidents, snow, etc.

mansfield to akron - 66.5 miles, 133 miles round trip, 5 days a week, about 2 hours in the car each day for 2 years now. The drive itself goes by somewhat quickly for me. The worst part is putting 750 miles on a car in a week; its hell for it and if you buy a new car, within 3-4 years your at 150k miles. I do leave by 6:45 and usually don't get home until 6:45 and that sucks but i can deal with that.

2.5 miles one-way

But before I got my house, I was driving from Mansfield to Elyria for three months (65 miles one-way - about 1:15 commute time), plus working out every night, and trying to get house shopping in. I was up at 6:15AM to be to work by 8AM and I wasn't returning "home" to Mansfield until 8-9PM each night. Not to mention the cost of gas...my parents temporarily loaned me their Buick so I didn't have to drive my 15mpg truck each day - still was costing me around $350+/mo when I had to fill the tank every 3 days.

I guess it all depends on what you feel your time is worth. I put a higher value on my time than my money. Getting to/from work in < 10mins now is AWESOME and well worth my mortgage and living in Elyria, JMHO.

5 miles one way and usually no traffic...working on wright patterson afb by dayton and considered moving to columbus because i have a lot of friends there, but the thought of having to make that commute everyday plus that drive would SUCK when the weather turns ugly, i'd rather just live close to work and drive out over the weekend and crash at a friends place.

1.8 miles each way.

Before I moved to where I am now, it was about 24 miles each way, and took over 30 minutes, for 2 of us, since we both work different schedules. I sort of miss the "downtime" I would have in the car, with little cell coverage so the phone wasn't ringing, and listening to the radio, or other music, but time with the family is now more important to me.

Have been thinking about moving closer to the Mansfield area (family) but I still want to keep my job in Columbus. Not sure if it is worth it to commute 140 miles a day (4 day weeks) or if I should just not bother with the stress it would create. Only good part is that it is basically straight down 71 the whole way but I would dread getting home at 6 every night just to leave for work by 6:30 or 7 every morning.

why don't you move somewhere in the middle?

Even moving north of 270 will really help getting to mansfield when you want to get there and not deal with as much traffic.

you gotta ask yourself how often will you be going to mans. if it's daily, it makes sense, but if it's like every other weekend, that's not much motivation to move there, IMO.

i'd try to keep a short commute. mine is about 7 miles each way. maybe more like 12, when you add in going to school afterward.

a friend of mine used to commute 50 miles each way. He jumped for joy when his 2006 Mustang got t-boned and totaled. It had over 60k miles and was only 3 years old. Would have had even higher miles, but he still drove his crappy Nissan 200SX every so often.

the plan was to drive the Nissan daily, and keep the mustang nice, but when you've got satellite radio and a much nicer interior, it's hard to resist actually USING it.

I just quit my job in newark partially because of the drive. I took a pay cut to work closer to home (and get away from the drama). That drive was almost 40 miles but it wasn't as bad because I was leaving cbus as rush hour was coming in and I was getting back to cbus as everyone was leaving so I didn't deal too much with traffic. My dad however is the opposite. He lives near zanesville and works in columbus. It is about 60 miles one way plus he has to deal with rush hour both ways. He has been doing this for 6 years now and he doesn't mind it. He loves where he lives and listens to a lot of books on tape. Although it does seem like it adds more drain to his life kinda like he has two extra hours of work each day. Personally the 40+ minute drive from cbus to newark was too much for me. I did that for almost 4 years and it started to drag. It wasn't too bad, but I like working under 20 mins from my home now.

why don't you move somewhere in the middle?

Even moving north of 270 will really help getting to mansfield when you want to get there and not deal with as much traffic.

you gotta ask yourself how often will you be going to mans. if it's daily, it makes sense, but if it's like every other weekend, that's not much motivation to move there, IMO.

I have been looking in between but havent found much. Long story short, I have a baby on the way the only family is in the Mansfield area. Would help a lot to be closer to them. Could move in between Cbus and Mansfield but once you get down a lot of the back roads to the houses we have looked at, it is just as easy to stay on 71 for 10 more minutes and be that much closer. Still nothing set in stone obviously, just not sure how painful it would be with that kind of drive.

i knew a couple people doing that commute, they all ended up moving to columbus closer to work. think 140miles + weather traffic and construction