got a great deal on a 1st gen sv650

bandit

So I got a great deal on a 1st gen sv650 from Yamaha of Columbus and I hope this bike will serve two purposes. The first and most important is to be my wife's starter bike. The second is to eventually become my track-only bike. I am looking for ideas on how to make this as user friendly as possible first, then make it fast later. You guys got any ideas?

No, that one sold a few months ago. I got a naked blue one that someone traded in. I got lucky to be the first one to see it, it helps that I work at Iron Pony part time. It's a 2001, has 5400 miles on it and is all original. It's not perfect but it runs great and looks good. It'll serve its purpose for sure.

I can't say much about making it safer now, but as for track stuff, let me put a call in to my buddy JB. he had pretty much the nicest SV i've ever seen...

I'm assuming it has decent sporty tires. In this order, I would add:

Stainless brake lines.

Frame sliders

Racetech emulators and stiffer springs are a MUST for that bike, IMO. I wouldn't spend the cash on a GSXR front end though.

a double or triple click rear shock (penske, ohlins, elka) will run $500-$1200, but is worth every penny.

woodcraft or vortex rearsets and clip-ons (not sure on which i'd advise first there... dragging a peg is no good, so probably the rearsets)

case covers and that sort of thing.

and if you really want to get crazy, wave rotors, CRG levers, a brembo master cylinder, a big bore kit, but none of that's necessary until you're crazy fast.

a good rule of thumb is to start at the bottom of the bike and work up. Tires, brakes, suspension, rearsets, clip-ons, etc.

I kind of wish I'd gotten an SV to see how fast I really am, ya know? with 70 hp, low lap times are that much more impressive.

So I got a great deal on a 1st gen sv650 from Yamaha of Columbus and I hope this bike will serve two purposes. The first and most important is to be my wife's starter bike. The second is to eventually become my track-only bike. I am looking for ideas on how to make this as user friendly as possible first, then make it fast later. You guys got any ideas?

what do you mean by user freindly?

Well I say that because I've applied for every opening they've had posted for about a year now and nothing even though completely qualified for all of them. And yet when I need something and go there I never fail to run into a less than helpful employee that doesn't have a clue about bikes or parts. :dunno:

I gave up and not applying for anything there anymore. And using mail order other places more now instead of going there.

Yup, redkow nailed it. I lowered it 1.5 inches and put good frame sliders on it. The factory bar ends are pretty long already so they're set. My wife already dropped it slowly and it was ok except for the shifter. It broke off so I had to drill & tap it, then loc-tite the screw. Thanks for the advice about starting at the bottom & working up; I am completely new at this track stuff. In fact, I'm not sure my schedule will even allow a 1st track day this season.

Sorry about how you've been handled at IP. I gotta admit, it's pretty tough being there all weekend while all the other riders are out having fun. You might want to reapply right now if you really want to work there... just a thought.

Good find. SV's can turn into a really nice track bike. There's plenty of stuff to do to it. First off, I would research and get some new suspension under it. Atleast springs and oil up fronts and possible a shock borrowed from another bike. Though, I prefer going whole hog and getting a nice Penske or Elka.

After you get the chassis sorted, then you can figure out the exhaust/carb deal. Easy to work on. Not a huge improvement in things, but it does sound really nice with the right can.

Thanks for the advice about starting at the bottom & working up; I am completely new at this track stuff. In fact, I'm not sure my schedule will even allow a 1st track day this season.

Suspension is always the best investment to make on a track bike. I sometimes wish I'd gotten an SV, and I'll tell you why:

this past weekend, I was trying to re-learn Gingerman and get up to "A" pace. I didn't run a lap timer until the 2nd session after lunch, but I was turning 1:46's and 1:47's. I felt like I had nothing more to give it.

Third session, I fell in behind a rider who I recognized from previous trackdays. She is definitely way faster than me, but she was going slow on the straights. I wasn't even clicking into 4th gear. I made a point to stay behind her for the rest of the session. She was taking VERY conservative braking points, and her lines were perfect.

When I came in and looked at the timer, we were doing consistent 1:44's without using 4th gear.

The point is, an SV takes some of the ridiculous speed out of the equation and allows you (forces you?) to ride WELL instead of just twisting the throttle hard. It also keeps you from doing 140 in the straights, and then panic-braking and blowing your line. (guilty)

A bike like an SV demands what most of us are too stubborn to do on our own. That makes it a great learning tool.

i ended up dropping a lot more time when I brought the speed back into the equation, but if I hadn't slowed down, I would have continued to work backward, and I doubt I would have done nearly as well.

Edited by redkow97

Wow, there's no better example than that for me to remember. I know it'll be a steep learning curve when I get out there, but I am really looking forward to it. For me, it seems that learning something new is exciting. I just hope that I don't get too addicted to the track; I've talked to too many guys who all but quit riding on the street after they get into track days hardcore. Thanks again!