Ride 5/28?

Radio Flyer

Looking to go for a ride on the 28th. My buddy who has never really hit any twists wants to get his feet wet. He is still pretty new to riding so I'll be waiting at stop signs for him. Anyone want to join in? Or have any road suggestions?

I have work at 5 so want to be home around 4 if at all possible. I can delay being home til 430 if need be.

Looking to go for a ride on the 28th. My buddy who has never really hit any twists wants to get his feet wet. He is still pretty new to riding so I'll be waiting at stop signs for him. Anyone want to join in? Or have any road suggestions?

I have work at 5 so want to be home around 4 if at all possible. I can delay being home til 430 if need be.

If I could make a friendly suggestion, if it's a buddy with no twisty experience why not just take it with two of you...and you hold back and go easy on the throttle?

I'm in the "new guys should not bust their nut in a group ride" camp. There's a whole lot of wrecks on this site that are testament to that. I'm not flaming or anything, just giving my .02.

If he follows you at a more relaxed pace, he can learn how to get into the corners without feeling like he's holding you back, but still able to watch and learn an appropriate line.

New riders tend not to want to be the slow, wobbly inexperienced guy even if you tell them not to worry about it and ride over their head especially when there's 5 guys ahead of them.

As for Routes, SR79 out of Newark to 541, then over to Coshocton is a nice route for newer riders. Nothing insane, lots of turns and great scenery, good pavement.

If I could make a friendly suggestion, if it's a buddy with no twisty experience why not just take it with two of you...and you hold back and go easy on the throttle?

I'm in the "new guys should not bust their nut in a group ride" camp. There's a whole lot of wrecks on this site that are testament to that. I'm not flaming or anything, just giving my .02.

If he follows you at a more relaxed pace, he can learn how to get into the corners without feeling like he's holding you back, but still able to watch and learn an appropriate line.

New riders tend not to want to be the slow, wobbly inexperienced guy even if you tell them not to worry about it and ride over their head especially when there's 5 guys ahead of them.

As for Routes, SR79 out of Newark to 541, then over to Coshocton is a nice route for newer riders. Nothing insane, lots of turns and great scenery, good pavement.

Unless you get together a ride just for noobs, such as was done last year on a Coshocton ride or two.

He will stay at his own pace. I've already taken him through a few twisty roads but nothing too intense like Hocking or up on the good Coshocton roads. I've had to wait for him at stop signs for minutes at a time.

I was just extending the invite if someone else wanted to come along. My buddy knows his limitations and sticks to them and leaves room for correction.

I would still issue a word of caution to them both on those routes as neither one has been out here before and neither have alot of seat time under them. Seems most the groups I've went those routes with lately has had people down on both 79 and 541. One just last Saturday.

I would still issue a word of caution to them both on those routes as neither one has been out here before and neither have alot of seat time under them. Seems most the groups I've went those routes with lately has had people down on both 79 and 541. One just last Saturday.

And there's "evidence" of one from last year on 79... Not that anybody here would know anything about that... :rolleyes:

I guess I assume someone won't over ride their abilities on a road they've never been on. I think 79/541 are very mild compared to 536, 555, etc...which are full of blind and strange camber turns. Visibility is good on 79, and there's only one decreasing radius (and it's barely decreasing). 541 only has 2 blind ones, but they're sweepers. 80% of both of those roads are straight with long lines of visibility...and the pavement is almost always free of shit and debris.

I learned to ride twisties on both of those roads, and never came even remotely close to losing my shit...but I rode cautiously with smarts until I was ready to hurl it into the turns, a skill I tested on a track day and not Coshocton County. I think that's a foreign concept for too many people, sadly.

I guess I assume someone won't over ride their abilities on a road they've never been on. I think 79/541 are very mild compared to 536, 555, etc...which are full of blind and strange camber turns. Visibility is good on 79, and there's only one decreasing radius (and it's barely decreasing). 541 only has 2 blind ones, but they're sweepers. 80% of both of those roads are straight with long lines of visibility...and the pavement is almost always free of shit and debris.

I learned to ride twisties on both of those roads, and never came even remotely close to losing my shit...but I rode cautiously with smarts until I was ready to hurl it into the turns, a skill I tested on a track day and not Coshocton County. I think that's a foreign concept for too many people, sadly.

I guess we have different POV's. I know of several blind curves on both of those rt's 79 does have a few and 541 has more than 2 not counting the ones that turn on the down side of a rise that you cant see till you crest?? Do you get out here much? And never assume someone wont ride over thier ability, because everyone does at some point and some more than others. I along with a few others personally saw him pushing the edges of his ability on our last ride.

They are both new riders, one never in twisties the other only a time or two with a leader and both just out of thier MSF course. This is why I tried to caution them.

But hey gotta learn somehow and it worked out ok so, live and learn I guess.

I guess we have different POV's. I know of several blind curves on both of those rt's 79 does have a few and 541 has more than 2 not counting the ones that turn on the down side of a rise that you cant see till you crest?? Do you get out here much? And never assume someone wont ride over thier ability, because everyone does at some point and some more than others. I along with a few others personally saw him pushing the edges of his ability on our last ride.

They are both new riders, one never in twisties the other only a time or two with a leader and both just out of thier MSF course. This is why I tried to caution them.

But hey gotta learn somehow and it worked out ok so, live and learn I guess.

I guess your definition of blind and mine are different. If you can see the exit from the entrance, it's not blind. If you feel a blind turn has to visible from 1/4 mile before getting to it, I guess yeah that's blind...and there are probably some straight roads that qualify.

Next time you're on 541 (I'm on both weekly, btw), count how many times from the beginning of the turn you are blocked from seeing the exit. You will count two, possibly three depending on where you're at in the lane.

And, I cautioned the OP early on in this thread to take it easy, ride at a relaxed pace for the new rider. I've taken several new riders on that route, precisely for the reasons I mentioned, and I took it slow and easy until they were comfortable (isn't that what I suggested?). If you ride either road at or near the speed limit, and enter the turns at the posted suggestion or slightly above, it's pretty damned near impossible to overcook. So, again, my assumption was that someone taking a rank-noob on these roads would do precisely that. If you know the OP to be incapable of that, don't scold me for the suggestion, scold him for being incapable of leading a new guy.

You're right, everyone rides over their limits occasionally, but doing so is a choice not a condition of riding. My concern is for both riders, and if neither one of them can ride a 2-digit state route full of sweepers, it won't matter where you point them a cloverleaf on I-70 will take them out.

Just an FYI Todd I wasn't really pushing my abilities on the CSBA. I could have been a lot closer up behind you front 4 but I kept it mild just as everyone else on the ride was.

As far as being fresh out of the MSF course, both instructors said there was no need for me to even be in the class in the first place and I should have jumped up to BRC2 or the one above. They used me as an example the entire weekend.

I'm not trying to say I'm not a noob, because there are things that I haven't experienced while riding, like heavy gravel through an entire turn for instance. If I knew how to handle that situation things would have been a lot different, but crossing the double yellow and pursuing the turn didn't seem like the best idea to me.

My only fault was riding too fast in unknown territory and it sent me down. I'm honestly glad it happened when it did and where it did. I've been wondering when and how it was going to happen and everything turned out better than expected. Only some minor damage to the bike, I know how well gear holds up first hand. I know what it's like to hit the ground and slide on pavement. I know how to fall as well now.

I assessed the situation quickly and made a decision and stuck with it. I went limp before I hit the ground and didn't try and brace my fall. I know I'm not going to freak out if I'm wrecking now and it takes a lot of the what ifs out of riding for me. Lesson learned and it's only going to make me that much better in the future.

Edited by Radio Flyer

Swingset, I don't want to blame the gravel for taking me down, but had it not been there I would have been able to handle the turns no problem at all. A factor came into play that I was not expecting. I haven't seen gravel through an entire turn like that before ever and the fact that I set up my line on it perfect was terrible luck. We had run into some gravel spots in turns before that, but nothing near like the one I went down on. There were patches here and there but nothing terrible.

I do know the wreck was my fault and I don't want to sound like I'm denying that by any means.

If you know the OP to be incapable of that, don't scold me for the suggestion, scold him for being incapable of leading a new guy.
Not scolding anyone, not my place. Just voicing my take on the roads thats it nothing more.
Just an FYI Todd I wasn't really pushing my abilities on the CSBA. I could have been a lot closer up behind you front 4
I'm not gonna argue that, I don't know for sure. My statement was made based on comments I got from 3 others in the group about your playing catch up in the straights, a couple passes you made and couple erratic lines thru some corners. I am not gonna harp on you but here's the thing. Last Monday before this ride you took a group of us were together eating and talking about pushing limits and you were brought up. It was also mentioned that you were gonna be down very soon then within the week, you were. No big doesnt matter all ended well just callin it like I see it thats it. You know what they say about opinions eveybody has one. You're still fine in my book just sayin may want to check yourself a bit thats all.

Everybody thinks they're a better rider than they are at some point, some more than others. I'm guilty of it too.

I have no intentions of starting an argument. I like keeping the leaders in sight to see how you all set up turns and the like while also staying in limits that I can correct (most of the time lol). I know I couldn't hang with you front 4 but I could have stayed a little closer in the turns. I wont take any comments made personally, they are all said for a reason and can help me become better and that's what I'm all about.

EDIT: And as far as riding above my head, or thinking I'm better than I was I wont deny to an extent which is also another reason I'm glad I went down when I did. Had I not gone down I'd be pushing it harder the next time. After eating the ground I think taking a spill is one of the best learning experiences you can get as a rider.

Edited by Radio Flyer