What's the difference?

|SnOmAn|

As I am looking to get my concealed license I have been noticing the different things you guys have been mentioning. I tried to research it but not finding anything worth reading, or that makes sense to me.

What is the difference between CCW, CHL and all of them?

A little help would be great....

So it doesn't matter which one you get to carry then? Or does it matter if I would like to carry on me... I thought I read that one was on you and the other was in a car but not on the person.

So it doesn't matter which one you get to carry then? Or does it matter if I would like to carry on me... I thought I read that one was on you and the other was in a car but not on the person.

No, they are the exact same thing. You will call your county or an adjacent county sheriffs office for your permit. They will make you an appointment. You go in, hand them your paperwork, get finger printed for a background check and leave. They will call you back when it is read and issue your permit. It it just a license sized card with your picture and says License to Carry a Concealed Handgun or something along those lines. Find the website for your sheriff's department and it will list what you need to do for your CHL and how much it is, I think it is $67 right now.

what you may be thinking of is that if you openly carry a gun you are legal to do so here in Ohio. If you get into a car, you are now breaking the law without a CHL or CCW permit because once in a vehicle, or on a bike, it is now considered concealed. If you have a CHL you can openly carry or carry concealed out and about or in your car. Without a CHL you cannot have a loaded gun in the car or anywhere on your person. Make sense?

I also urge you to get on those sites and research the hell out of Ohio's gun laws. Know your rights, where you can and cannot carry and be prepared for anything. You may and probably will encounter LE or civilians who do not know the law, are misinformed of the law or hate guns all together. I love ohioccw.org, I have the same s/n on there also.

If you need anything else let me know, I'll help any way I can.

Yeah, I saw the one video someone posted with the OC in Cleveland or some where up there. The cop stopping them and giving him grief...

I was showing C-bus that video a few days ago. That's why the idea of Oc'ing scared me. Now it doesn't bother me. I probably OC 50% of the time, CC 50% of the time and am armed 100% of the time. It feels unnatural not to be armed. :D

So I watched a video on Open Carry and did not realize that you are legally allowed to have a gun in a holster in plain view in Ohio. That it crazy, scary, and cool all in one. So, without a permit, I would have to take that gun magazine out with the bullets in the mag and set it in the trunk or in the case in the trunk?

So I watched a video on Open Carry and did not realize that you are legally allowed to have a gun in a holster in plain view in Ohio. That it crazy, scary, and cool all in one. So, without a permit, I would have to take that gun magazine out with the bullets in the mag and set it in the trunk or in the case in the trunk?

Without a CHL the gun needs to be emptied. A loaded magazine seperated from the firearm is still considered a loaded gun. Speedloaders for revolvers are the same way. The magazine or speedloader needs to be emptied BEFORE getting into the vehicle. This makes OC without a CHL kind of difficult if you have to drive anywhere. I do not know what the transportation laws are for a person without a CHL because it doesn't apply to me. I just leave all my handguns loaded anyways.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/Ohio-Gun-Laws

Bolded laws I consider especially important to CC. The others are just as important though.

9.68 Right to bear arms - challenge to law.

109.731 Prescribed forms.

504.04 Exercise of powers under limited home rule government.

1547.69 Firearm prohibitions.

2305.40 Owner, lessee, or renter of real property not liable to trespasser.

2305.401 member of the firearms industry not liable for harm sustained as a result of the operation or discharge of firearm.

2921.13 Falsification - in theft offense - to purchase firearm.

2923.11 Weapons control definitions.

2923.12 Carrying concealed weapons.

2923.121 Possession of firearm in liquor permit premises - prohibition, exceptions. This is in the process of being changed to allow carry where alcohol is served.

2923.122 Illegal conveyance or possession of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance or of object indistinguishable from firearm in school safety zone.

2923.123 Illegal conveyance of deadly weapon or dangerous ordnance into courthouse - illegal possession or control in courthouse.

2923.125 Application and licensing process.

2923.126 Duties of licensed Individual.

2923.127 Challenging denial of license.

2923.128 Suspension and revocation of license.

2923.129 Immunity.

2923.1210 Application form.

2923.1211 Falsification of concealed handgun license - possessing a revoked or suspended concealed handgun license.

2923.1212 Signage prohibiting concealed handguns.

2923.1213 Temporary emergency license.

2923.13 Having weapons while under disability.

2923.14 Relief from weapons disability.

2923.15 Using weapons while intoxicated.

2923.16 Improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.

2923.161 Improperly discharging firearm at or into a habitation, in a school safety zone or with intent to cause harm or panic to persons in a school building or at a school function.

2923.162 Discharge of firearm on or near prohibited premises.

2923.20 Unlawful transaction in weapons.

2923.201 Possessing a defaced firearm.

2923.21 Improperly furnishing firearms to minor.

2923.211 Underage purchase of firearm or handgun.