Top competitors to replace Police Crown Vic

chevysoldier

I've been working at a used car lot and I'm really getting sick of hearing people say things like this.

all of the honda's toyota's mazda's and nissans have just as many and often more problems than any american cars do. and the parts to fix them cost more.

this belief these brands of cars are better is false. we work on just as many broken parts on these brands of cars as any brand.

Yeah. I'd never buy an American car. Too many problems. Break too easy. Eff that :rolleyes: Only the best for me.

I've owned:

1978 Nova Custom

1979 Camaro Berlinetta (w/ a 350)

1986 Camaro IROC-Z

1986 Fiero SE

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT (completely rebuilt)

1988 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

1990 Oldsmobile Silhouette

1994 Blazer Tahoe with 4.3L Vortec

1995 Buick Riviera NA

2006 Cobalt SS/SC (Present)

Never owned a Japanese vehicle other than my 1969 Suzuki T500 Titan MkII. There are so few cars totally built in the US anymore, brand loyalty is in vain. Your money just goes to a fat cat with a golden parachute that would much rather outsource and lay his workers off, than take a real paycut. I come from a GM family. Many of my relatives work(ed) for them for almost a century. As you can see by my list above, I am rather biased.

Edited by nacademus

I've seen several police chargers, many ford escapes, a few camaros (mostly state police in georgia), and a few impalas..

charger certainly seems to be the favorite for now.

Theres Camaro police cars? Where the hell are they gonna put the bad guys when they get arrested theres not much of a back seat haha

Saw several Camaros on I-77 around Charlotte, NC. Damn those are unmarked have a small light bar inside the shield.......race them and you are done....

ok guys....

1st - youre not going to overheat a turbo by idling

2nd - a timer isnt necessary at all, a lot of newer turbo cars are liquid cooled and use a pressure system that stays in effect after the car is shut off, and even have a fan system that kicks in a few mins after the car is shut off for final cooldown

the SHO is one of these cars, you DO NOT need a timer because liquid cooled turbos dont bake like oil cooled

Each bank of the 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 gets its own Honeywell GT15 water-cooled turbocharger
http://www.insideline.com/ford/taurus/2010/2010-ford-taurus-sho-first-drive.html

also, a lot of people dont bother with timers because most people with turbo cars have an EGT gauge that they monitor before shut down...idle and let EGTs get into a nice cool range and then it off, sitting 5 minutes is not necessary unless youve been out beating on it for 6 hours straight, let EGTs get into the 300 range and shut it off...for my powerstroke, thats about 15 seconds of idle time on easy drives, and about a minute after 75+mph freeway trips or pulling a trailer at 70

ok guys....

1st - youre not going to overheat a turbo by idling

2nd - a timer isnt necessary at all, a lot of newer turbo cars are liquid cooled and use a pressure system that stays in effect after the car is shut off, and even have a fan system that kicks in a few mins after the car is shut off for final cooldown

the SHO is one of these cars, you DO NOT need a timer because liquid cooled turbos dont bake like oil cooled

http://www.insideline.com/ford/taurus/2010/2010-ford-taurus-sho-first-drive.html

also, a lot of people dont bother with timers because most people with turbo cars have an EGT gauge that they monitor before shut down...idle and let EGTs get into a nice cool range and then it off, sitting 5 minutes is not necessary unless youve been out beating on it for 6 hours straight, let EGTs get into the 300 range and shut it off...for my powerstroke, thats about 15 seconds of idle time on easy drives, and about a minute after 75+mph freeway trips or pulling a trailer at 70

Older cars have oil cooled turbos still. And some use a system of both oil and water cooling. Not all new ones are water cooled. Our Dmax turbo is oil cooled.

Since I don't have an EGT, like most cars, it's kinda hard to watch that. Besides, Ford...er, Mazda actually recommended that with the Probe GT.

There are so few cars totally built in the US anymore, brand loyalty is in vain. Your money just goes to a fat cat with a golden parachute that would much rather outsource and lay his workers off, than take a real paycut. I come from a GM family. Many of my relatives work(ed) for them for almost a century. As you can see by my list above, I am rather biased.

If your goal when you start a business is to hire as many people as you can and not make as much money as you can then you probably shouldn't own a business.

Theres Camaro police cars? Where the hell are they gonna put the bad guys when they get arrested theres not much of a back seat haha

just for ticket issuing...

They're interceptors. Only for chasing down faster vehicles. Texas has a shit ton of them.

yep, georgia had quite a few, too

Whatever that top car/pic is..... Pretty slick how they integrated the lights right into the roof, so there's no "bubbles" profile from a distance

Very stealthy

so was the camaro...

an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9PkwZ9ne24

and they would hide behind bushes in the median (i ended up not speeding a lot through georgia because they were so stealthy.)

Older cars have oil cooled turbos still. And some use a system of both oil and water cooling. Not all new ones are water cooled. Our Dmax turbo is oil cooled.

Since I don't have an EGT, like most cars, it's kinda hard to watch that. Besides, Ford...er, Mazda actually recommended that with the Probe GT.

my powerstroke is also oil cooled, hence my comment about watching EGTs....and were talking mainly about the SHO in this thread, since the comments started about FI cars (the sho being the only in this thread) not having timers, which is what prompted me to to mention that the SHO is liquid cooled.

its listed in the manual to let the vehicle cool before shutting it off (oil cooled vehicles like our trucks and your probe), they shouldnt have to put timers on factory cars, people need to read their manuals.

30 seconds or less is sufficient for most types of driving to let the turbo cool before shutting off the vehicle....no need for several minutes, thats just excessive

and in the case of the SHO, you dont need to idle it, pull up, put in park, shut it off...simple.

If your goal when you start a business is to hire as many people as you can and not make as much money as you can then you probably shouldn't own a business.

This is a topic for another thread...

There is a difference between opening a coffee shop, and running one of the greatest manufacturing legacies in recent history. There are many things to uphold. Everything is so cutthoat nowadays its pathetic. Few businesses are willing to cut into their profits to procure their major capital resources, their people. Then again, in many cases, the unions gouged the corporations right back. Whatever.

Bull Moose Party FTW.

This is a topic for another thread...

There is a difference between opening a coffee shop, and running one of the greatest manufacturing legacies in recent history. There are many things to uphold. Everything is so cutthoat nowadays its pathetic. Few businesses are willing to cut into their profits to procure their major capital resources, their people. Then again, in many cases, the unions gouged the corporations right back. Whatever.

Bull Moose Party FTW.

A businesses major revenue resource is its customers, if you have driven them away from over pricing your product by trying to maintain an indulgent workforce you have to change or you will no longer exist to be profitable. Jobs are not owed to people by a company that sounds just like a government entity with its workers thinking they are entitled to a job and we all know how efficient the government is let alone how responsible they are in watching how they spend money.

A businesses major revenue resource is its customers, if you have driven them away from over pricing your product by trying to maintain an indulgent workforce you have to change or you will no longer exist to be profitable. Jobs are not owed to people by a company that sounds just like a government entity with its workers thinking they are entitled to a job and we all know how efficient the government is let alone how responsible they are in watching how they spend money.

Valid. The world market is too volatile to not remain competitive. Good point.

if you make a good product, people will buy it.

people want cheap prices and then bitch it turns out to be a piece of shit.

take harbor freight tools for example.

you know why snapon and craftsman tools are more expensive? they are better tools. not so much they pay the workers more.

and lets not get into the government and how efficient they are. there are thousands of examples of government work that is done very well. military, the DOT, army corp of engineers, USDA, FDA, FCC, etc etc.

ok back on topic, Police cars. I say they need little slow ass cars so they can't catch anyone.

Edited by serpentracer

if you make a good product, people will buy it.

people want cheap prices and then bitch it turns out to be a piece of shit.

take harbor freight tools for example.

you know why snapon and craftsman tools are more expensive? they are better tools. not so much they pay the workers more.

and lets not get into the government and how efficient they are. you said unions cause workers to be lazy. and you are accusing a non union government work force of being lazy.

there are thousands of examples of government work that is done very well. military, the DOT, army corp of engineers, USDA, FDA, FCC, etc etc.

ok back on topic, Police cars. I say they need little slow ass cars so they can't catch anyone.

I agree that the expensive tools don't cost more because the workers are paid more but the profit margin is what we were talking about and keeping workers employed just for the sake of employment regardless of the bottom line. We can discuss why people are satisfied with an inferior product if you would like but that would take us away from employment entitlement.

I would agree we have two very good examples of our governments ability to do things well our armed forces and the dot. These two things are what our federal government is supposed to be doing and there is no one in the world doing a better job at these two tasks. The rest of your list is up for much debate I know of a few people in New Orleans who think the army corps of engineers were lacking in their duties, I can also point out many, many cases where they have implemented a course of action only to reverse that course because they boxed themselves into an unintended consequence.

and when we all make $30 a year like the chinese, maybe, just maybe we might start to see through supply side bullshit. or will profit margins not be enough then either? but hey as long as theres some rich suckers in some other country to buy we're good! because we sure wont be able to ourselves. seeing as how workers are the number one consumers of products and all.

also its kinda ironic to be talking about the army corps short comings in new orleans right now dont ya think?

Edited by ped

• 1 month later...
Give them this:

Ford_Festiva_002.JPG

I second that motion!

Whatever that top car/pic is..... Pretty slick how they integrated the lights right into the roof, so there's no "bubbles" profile from a distance

Very stealthy

Yeah, but I call it horseshit. I miss the old days where when a crown vic or caprice was behind you, you knew what it was and you could tell if it was a cop or not by the bug ass light bar on top.

yeah, I know the Fiero is funny. :p

No, the 78 sidewinder and Iroc is funny.