June 27, 2010 meeting for Coshocton ride

Uncle Punk

I'm down for Friday but will only be the Kawi if I get everything up to snuff and the title comes finally

I heard the same from another friend who had both, he said exactly the same thing so I'm pleased to hear another opinion on this. I was pretty much set on riding the Honda anyway since I am way more familiar with it and my comfort level and limits on it

From the way this ride sounds, don't think we'll be hitting speeds or riding that aggressive to need a damper

heck, my 6 doesnt have one! lol

Edited by tachman

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an '03 636 Punk and I just rode through the wobblers. :p

I want one on my 14 as well and I've experienced some good wobblers with it as well. I normally crack it open when I feel them. :D

lol, same here

From the way this ride sounds, don't think we'll be hitting speeds or riding that aggressive to need a damper

heck, my 6 doesnt have one! lol

Not all bikes need them, I couldn't ride the Kawi without one and I raced my Honda without one. Speeds they were ridden at had nothing to do with the need for one.

I had an '03 636 Punk and I just rode through the wobblers. :p

I want one on my 14 as well and I've experienced some good wobblers with it as well. I normally crack it open when I feel them. :D

I couldn't get comfortable riding through the shakes, great handling bike but if you didn't have weight on the front end it wanted to twitch.

I'm really surprised the big bikes geometry isn't stable enough to keep that front end straight. My XX and Busa were rock stable.

Drop the rear preload a click. It'll slow the steering and calm down your shaky head.

The shock sucked on the 03-04 not enough adjustment for my weight and riding style to fix it with the stock unit. The front end was very good for all stock internals. Nick might have an under sprung shock.

My bike is adjusted rather well for me. The only time I got any headshake was when accelerating out of a nice corner and then hitting a downhill and cresting. I don't quite know what that combination did, but i started to get some serious wobble. I cracked it open, lightened the front end, and regained my bearing without skipping a beat. A month later I bought an Ohlins damper (turns out, my stock damper had failed). I look forward to testing it out. ;)

Not all bikes need them, I couldn't ride the Kawi without one and I raced my Honda without one. Speeds they were ridden at had nothing to do with the need for one.

I couldn't get comfortable riding through the shakes, great handling bike but if you didn't have weight on the front end it wanted to twitch.

I'm really surprised the big bikes geometry isn't stable enough to keep that front end straight. My XX and Busa were rock stable.

I think I could've explained it more. The bike is stable, I'm talking about coming out of a corner with the front wheel coming up and skimming the ground. At times it'll cause some shake that I'd like to see how a damper would do with that. I'm solid when fully leaned through a turn. Feels really good there.;)

Like that, but I don't need the downhill. Same thing with mine and why I want to buy a damper soon. :)

Whoops.

I meant to say when exiting hard out of a corner, going downhill, and cresting. All of these conditions will upset your chassis a bit and greatly lighten the load on the forks and cause the wheel to caress the ground. Scary when it happens. Sometimes, your bike just doesn't have anything left to wheelie, lift, and recover once it starts.

The only word of advice in that situation would be to sustain engine RPMs, try a very very slight weave to use the road as a damper. Slamming the brake could make it swerve, letting off the throttle as well.

The softer more streetable forks are a little more prone to this because they have a more gradual gradient to which they dampen and rebound. A tank slapper on a true track bike is in God's hands, and a crafty rider-oh... and a sweet damper.

Here's someone else's take on it... how you deal with it depends on you. I try not to ponder what the bike wants/needs as I ride it by doing complex calculations and recalling what I've read somewhere. I feel for it. That's all you need to do.

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/riding-techniques/141145-head-shake-why-does-happen.html

http://www.msgroup.org/tip.aspx?num=190

Edited by nacademus