Cost and parts needed to convert yz 250 to sumo

omgshesaboy

Im bored at work and have been looking at sumo's all morning. I am curious what I would need to do to get plates and get an older yz 250 on the street. What parts would I need as well.

I grew up riding 2 stroke dirt bikes and would like a 2 stroke 250 and have seen them fairly cheap on CraigsList. I go to kent state and think a sumo would be awesome to ride from my apartment to class and around campus.

Idk much about sumos but when I went on a ride down in coshocton adam had his out and it looked like a blast.

Thanks

i priced it out on my on a 01 yz250f and it came out to right around $1000....unless you have a bike that already has a headlight and stator and shit then it can get expensive...PM ponyjr, he just converted his yz426f earlier this year and made it fully street legal, he could probably tell you about what it would cost to do it

I found packages for $1500 that had wheels tires lights and everything to make it street legal but nothing for an older 2 stroke.. everything was for newer 4 strokes

how old are you talking about? i was talking about piecing together universal shit to make your own kit...thats how i had priced it out atleast, and i dont see how it would matter 2 stroke or 4 stroke. arent the bikes on the same chassis? a headlight from a wr250f will fit a yz250f, will it not fit a yz250?

I know 2 strokes can have it rough when holding an RPM for a long time. That isnt quite what those motors are for, but if you are cruising around Kent, i'm sure you'll be fine. The four strokes are much more ready to handle highway speeds for a little longer. This is simply from hear say though, take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Living in Kent during the school year, ive also thought about how nice itd be to have an enduro type bike :). Sometimes a full sized motorcycle is a bit much for that area if you live right in town. It is nice for bypassing all those bullshit stops around lincoln though. I know if I hear a loud ass dirtbike cruising around, it'll probably be you. I'll be on the green and white honda F2, though probably not taking it to class as much considering i'll be living right on Vine street next semester. Can't wait.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out in another build thread maybe. I am very interested in the process- Ive thought a lot about trading my F2 for an enduro recently.

I know 2 strokes can have it rough when holding an RPM for a long time. That isnt quite what those motors are for, but if you are cruising around Kent, i'm sure you'll be fine. The four strokes are much more ready to handle highway speeds for a little longer. This is simply from hear say though, take what I have to say with a grain of salt.

Living in Kent during the school year, ive also thought about how nice itd be to have an enduro type bike :). Sometimes a full sized motorcycle is a bit much for that area if you live right in town. It is nice for bypassing all those bullshit stops around lincoln though. I know if I hear a loud ass dirtbike cruising around, it'll probably be you. I'll be on the green and white honda F2, though probably not taking it to class as much considering i'll be living right on Vine street next semester. Can't wait.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out in another build thread maybe. I am very interested in the process- Ive thought a lot about trading my F2 for an enduro recently.

nice Ive got a house over on sherman st right now but moving over to whitehall next year.. i take my r6 up to kent maybe once or twice a year i cant stand riding in campus traffic.

last I checked you can't get plates on a 2-stroke.

correct. you cannot make that street legal in ohio. I believe you can in arizona. Everwhere in the US except for Arizona i believe, you cannot have a 2 stroke bigger than 49cc on the street. Thats why Honda and Aprilia dont sell there 125/250 2 strokes in america like a CBR or RSV. only good for trackdays over here.

:rulez:

Go with a 250+ fourstroke and ride it anywhere you want. Because yeah, campus traffic is horrible. I'm sure it wouldn't be long before you were spotted for shortcutting though. Theres too much enforcement around. Last year when I was eating at Continental Grill I saw a bike going probably 80 or 90 down 59. I saw the lady cop driving after him about 20 seconds later, lol. Was crazy.

Edited by antatious

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/1766013268.html

i think im going to go with somthing like this..

does anyone know what I would need to do to be able to get a liscense plate for this if i turned it street legal?

Don't do it. It will be just as expensive. Just by a DRZ and be done with it. I know of someone with a DRZ400E plated with dirt tires. I think he wants 2300 or so for it.

Don't do it. It will be just as expensive. Just by a DRZ and be done with it. I know of someone with a DRZ400E plated with dirt tires. I think he wants 2300 or so for it.

I would also reccommend the Drz E model. Its a better motor than the factory enduro and factory supermoto.

Bigger flat slide Carb (vs constant velocity)

Higher compression piston.

Thinner base gasket

E model has a bigger header pipe which is the MAIN loss of power on the s and sm models.

• 2 months later...
How would they know?

Inpection

Sound

Huge pipe

Smell

Smoke

Should I keep going? Like Tyler said, how would they not know? Besides that a 2 stroke would not last very long as a sumo you'd be rebuilding the topend constantly and the powerband hitting commingout of a corner could be very bad.

Sell it and get a DRZ400SM.

you have to get it inspected, how would they not know? :confused:
I guess I assumed a BMV clerck or a deputy wouod not be able to tell he difference between a 2 or 4 stroke. Not exacty something that is obvious visually, especially to a non enthusiast

I guess I assumed a BMV clerck or a deputy wouod not be able to tell he difference between a 2 or 4 stroke. Not exacty something that is obvious visually, especially to a non enthusiast

why would they give the inspection job to somebody who has no idea what a bike looks like? :wtf:

not to mention the model is on the title, which is another give away

or maybe the huge exhaust pipe with baby sized muffler

I am not sure where all of you think the bike needs to be inspected. I have plate 2 different dirt bikes and not once did they want to look at them. I went to the BMV and told them I needed the affidavit stating that I have installed lights, horn, mirror, brake light switch and license plate holder. I signed the affidavit and they handed me a street title. I had not even done any of that to the bike at that time. Both are done now though.