BP easier on motorcycle or XR 80?

antatious

This is sort of an impossible question to answer, I realize-

I basically just started really wheelying my '92 CBR F2. Only because I got a hold of an XR 80 and started learning on that. I am pretty comfortable getting the XR to 12 oclock, but finding the BP is hard as hell. I am mostly trying slow wheelies in 1st right now.

On my F2, I know I am really far from my BP because of my speed gain, but it feels much easier to sit on the bigger machine and gas it to the BP, rather than fighting with my size on such a weightless bike and tiny rear wheel to find my BP.

There is no way in hell I am going to be trying to find my BP on my full fairinged F2 until I can comfortably ride slow wheelies on my XR :). So what do you think? Is riding wheelies in 1st easier to learn on a little dirtbike or a motorcycle in your opinion? If I find my BP on a minibike, will it help me on a huge motorcycle?

Thanks for any input trying to help out a noob.

You're slower and closer to the ground when you crash, there is that.

Stick with the lighter bike, till you figure it out. Anyone can wheelie, it's undoing the wheelie correctly that is difficult. Until you experience a few errors when the front wheel comes down, you won't know what it is like. It will be easier to recover from on the lighter bike. And less expensive to fix. If you lose the BP on the heavier bike, you might not be able to recover.

IMHO: wheelies are highly over rated, and hard on the bike. Be prepared to spend money repairing damage.

edit: I learned my fore/aft balance point by keeping the throttle moving. Sort of a fast chatter on the throttle position. Not freezing it in one position. (And cover the rear brake, yutugh.) I have no idea how anyone else does it, I taught myself.

Edited by ReconRat

I learned all my wheelies on a small dirtbike and quad. Once you get the feel of bp it basically transfers to any bike you try it on. The little bikes are actually harder than the big bikes so it helps allot. When on the big bike the key is to get it up to BP or close really fast so u dont pick up a ton of speed. I use all throttle and no clutch to get it up there.

IMHO: wheelies are highly over rated

I swear i havent had a single person at kent state that stops and talks to me about my bike the few times ive had it up there that doesnt ask me if ive 'stood that thing up' i just shake my head and walk away.

I swear i havent had a single person at kent state that stops and talks to me about my bike the few times ive had it up there that doesnt ask me if ive 'stood that thing up' i just shake my head and walk away.

:lol: like there is nothing more to riding than just woolies :lol:

wheelies are not hard on most modern bikes(unless u crash) It is hard on fork seals while learning,but other than that its not a terrible thing to learn. If u want to master your bike you will need to be able to wheelie and stoppie.

lol.... So I've been told Starboy Scott used rt 261 in Kent back in the day to learn to wheelie. Not sure if that has something to do with it or not. College kids everywhere see sport bikes and mostly associate them ridding wheelies. (little do they know a sm bike is easier and not as pricey to fix when you crash).

wheelies are not hard on most modern bikes(unless u crash) It is hard on fork seals while learning,but other than that its not a terrible thing to learn. If u want to master your bike you will need to be able to wheelie and stoppie.

Yup, it will happen sooner or later if you ride a lot. Best to know what's going to happen beforehand.

Also best to avoid situations that need that.

note: do not practice on an 800 pound bike...

:wtf: what?

If u are on the gas hard over a hill and the front end comes way way up and u never learned to wheelie u may be in trouble. If you are in a panic stop scenario and u start to stoppie u will need to know what to do. Its not just stunting its learning how things with 2 wheels react to everyday situations.

I fuckin knew it. I had a feeling the balance point on a little XR 80 is just as hard if not harder than on my F2. I am not wheelying to be cool or anything, it is genuinely fun and I have an older bike so it isn't quite of a big deal if I drop it. I'm not too worried about laying it down. I have been trying to ride slow wheelies on my xr 80 for a good week. For now, on my F2 every once and a while when I take off and no ones around i'll clutch it up and ride it out to the end of my RPMs then just upshift when I come down. It's all for fun. I am not going to push myself to my balance point until I get it on lock on my XR.

About a week ago, I couldn't wheely my F2 above a few inches. Practicing on the XR 80 helped me out tremendously. Ive had a couple scares where it felt like I was going to loop. But that is necessary. I've got to get used to it eventually.

Yeah, I know what you are talking about Gixxie. When I first got my bike I didn't think it could power wheely. From a stop I turned left onto a really steep hill and gunned it. The front came up slow at first then immediately wanted to loop. I about shit myself. It seems like once it gets over a certain mid point, it just wants to rise up much much easier than it initially does. Really scary. As far as emergency stoppies- lol that hasnt happened quite yet.

If u want to master your bike you will need to be able to wheelie and stoppie.
:wtf: what?

Maybe you could've had that deer watching you doing a whoolie instead of running in front of you? Or you could've done a stoppie right in front of it?

If u are on the gas hard over a hill and the front end comes way way up and u never learned to wheelie u may be in trouble. If you are in a panic stop scenario and u start to stoppie u will need to know what to do. Its not just stunting its learning how things with 2 wheels react to everyday situations.

being a parking lot hero wont help in those situations........

being a parking lot hero wont help in those situations........

It will 100% help. Once u know the feel of a bike on one wheel either front or back it all can come into play at speed. Dont get me wrong there are mass racers who cant stopie or wheelie,but will do both at a race track at speed. Parking lot "hero's" Deff learn a feel for a bike in ways that a racer or twistie guys can not. All i'm saying is its safer to know than not know.

It will 100% help. Once u know the feel of a bike on one wheel either front or back it all can come into play at speed. Dont get me wrong there are mass racers who cant stopie or wheelie,but will do both at a race track at speed. Parking lot "hero's" Deff learn a feel for a bike in ways that a racer or twistie guys can not. All i'm saying is its safer to know than not know.

I know everyone likes to pick on the junkies for stunting but I have to agree with him. I'm glad the first time I experienced a wheelie wasn't cresiting a hill on a country road down in hocking hills. However once you know what to expect it's kinda fun.

I'm no where near being a stunter but I have wheelied and stoppied a bike before just from day to day sport bike riding. The bikes have a ton of power in the motor and brakes it's something that is hard to understand with out experiencing it.

• 2 months later...

Hit your BP and use brake control to keep you there. Once you get used to it and can maintain your wheelie without accelerating then start using more throttle control to ease up on your brakes...... just remember, that your rear brake is what can save you from looping out.