what's wrong with our country and economy?

serpentracer

Yes, employers will still make mistakes. And per federal law, if that guy with 41 years experience has to train the kid... wrong in so many ways. But in 41 years, that guy should have put some time in on education also. Jobs aren't forever anymore. It's best to have a backup skill in order to survive.

^^^ This.

Even if the job doesn't go away, the person doing the job may get to a point where they physically have trouble doing the job, especially in a manual labor type of job. That has had me thinking for a while now...

^^^ This.

Even if the job doesn't go away, the person doing the job may get to a point where they physically have trouble doing the job, especially in a manual labor type of job. That has had me thinking for a while now...

This is precisely why I intend to keep my CDL current even after I graduate with my biomed degree. Passing a DOT physical is not hard, so it's a fallback to at least pay the bills if other work is scarce.

I've gone through a lot of different jobs. And each needed some more education to get each. I might not have needed education with my experience, but the combination of both works.

Realize that technology advancements doubles knowledge every two years currently. It also means that much of current and previous knowledge becomes obsolete in about two years. That is something that society and the work place and educational institutions have not adjusted to yet. So expect changes.

Edit: If someone told you ten or twenty years ago that you would have a tiny phone gps map directory assistance phone book typewriter computer tweet chat music and video player in your pocket today... you wouldn't have believed it. Tell that to a ten year old and they will say "what's a typewriter?"

Edited by ReconRat

I've gone through a lot of different jobs. And each needed some more education to get each. I might not have needed education with my experience, but the combination of both works.

Realize that technology advancements doubles knowledge every two years currently. It also means that much of current and previous knowledge becomes obsolete in about two years. That is something that society and the work place and educational institutions have not adjusted to yet. So expect changes.

Edit: If someone told you ten or twenty years ago that you would have a tiny phone gps map directory assistance phone book typewriter computer tweet chat music and video player in your pocket today... you wouldn't have believed it. Tell that to a ten year old and they will say "what's a typewriter?"

yeah, but where are all the flying cars?