Dumping your bike

jmatczy

Well im now a biker i dumped my R6 yesterday in lakewood. Stupid fuckers and slaming on there breaks. I had 2 choices rear end the dude and really fuck my bike up or dump it and pray for the best. I have minor road rash on my arms and my bike I need a new windshield and new headlight assembly and a new front ferring. My engin case on the right side is scratched and so is my mid pipe. All in all it could of been alot worse. Thank god for frame sliders I got my monies worth out of the right one.

You should have been able to stop in that distance, if you didn't hit it while sliding on the street. That doesn't stop near as well as using brakes. But glad you're ok. Now fix the bike back up, and don't do it again.

You should have been able to stop in that distance, if you didn't hit it while sliding on the street. That doesn't stop near as well as using brakes. But glad you're ok. Now fix the bike back up, and don't do it again.

Maybe he did hit the car, that might explain the windshield and headlight :dunno:

Can't take your eyes of the road or car in front of you in the city for a second!

Anyway, glad you're ok.

Glad you're okay.

That said, it sounds like you need to try and keep a bit more following distance. My rule is to give myself as much room as I think I'd need to stop if the car ahead hit a brick wall, then back off a little more. People are stupid and unpredictable, so you have to give yourself every advantage you can get-- extra space and time to react are big parts of your survival toolkit.

Yea im never leaving the house again without my coat. And the dude in front of my girls car just slammed onto his breaks. if i was in my truck i woulda rear ended her. The bike goes into storage now cuz i go back over seas this next week.

Either you were following rediculously close or you have no idea how to use your brakes... your bike should be able to stop WAY quicker than any car on the road.

Take it as a learning experience for next year, and good luck healing up.

same thing happened to me. my bike was under a truck that was lifted when it was all over. this guy though def stopped too soon but one look at my back tire and everyone would have said it was my almost bald tire. anyways i don't even look at my speed anymore my eyes are up front and always scanning the road. ride safe or ride safer anything could happen at anytime

I will say an old bike with drum brakes up front will not stop as fast as a Volkswagen beetle. Been there, done that.

I slid sideways, close to going under the rear bumper, and somehow threw the bike onto it's other side and passed.

(ok, I know how, but it's a long story)

Either you were following rediculously close or you have no idea how to use your brakes... your bike should be able to stop WAY quicker than any car on the road.

Negative. Stopping distances are about equal. Cars have 3x the contact patch to apply braking force to the road.

i love when people say that they had to lay down the bike.. thats never even an option for me ever.. the bike can do it.. just whether the rider can. first thing i always tell new riders (on sportbikes at least) your bike can do more than you are willing, if you need to get out of a jam have faith your tires will hold

I don't have a high performance car, so I've never experienced braking in a car like on my bikes. I can definitely say that in general I agree that normal bikes can stop way faster than normal cars. The difference becomes more apparent as speed increases. I'm guessing that if the car is a high performance car than the difference becomes negligible.

[nomedia=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1jCiU-4K5Y]YouTube- F1 vs road car braking distance[/nomedia]

2007 Toyota Camry published 60 mph braking distance = 173 feet w/ ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution

I found a study done regarding braking distances for motorcycles done by a Quebec safety council. The stopping distance was 200 ft from 60 mph for non-ABD and 193 feet for ABS bikes. Looking for the test bike they used for this.

You also have to take into account that a car is idiot proof. Stomp on the pedal and let the ABS work out the rest. You can't do this on a bike.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/07q1/2007_honda_accord_vs._nissan_altima_kia_optima_saturn_aura_toyota_camry_chrysler_sebring-comparison_tests/2007_toyota_camry_le_page_4

http://www.bikesafer.com/detail/braketime.html

2007 Toyota Camry published 60 mph braking distance = 173 feet w/ ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution

disagree with your assesment, according to what i've read even a mediocre sport bike rider can bring 60 to 0 in under 140 ft, that leaves 33ft even if you were right on their tail lights.

disagree with your assesment, according to what i've read even a mediocre sport bike rider can bring 60 to 0 in under 140 ft, that leaves 33ft even if you were right on their tail lights.

I said I didn't know what bike they were using in that testing. Also, if you want to get techincal, you stated that a bike should be able to outbrake any car on the road. Typical commuter cars yes, anything beyond that, no. Many mild performance cars can go from 60-0 in 120-130 feet. That's outclassing a sportbike of the same braking performance level by 10 feet at the minimum. I love bikes, and their performance levels, but I'll be the first to admit that larger contact patch and stability makes handling and braking in a car much easier and more efficient.

05 GTO 60-0 distance - 125 ft <-- 4000 lb car

06 Charger SRT8 60-0 distance - 110 ft <-- 4200 lb car

2010 Corvette ZR1 60-0 distance - 100 ft <-- 3200 lb car

Edited by RSVDon

i love when people say that they had to lay down the bike.. thats never even an option for me ever.. the bike can do it.. just whether the rider can. first thing i always tell new riders (on sportbikes at least) your bike can do more than you are willing, if you need to get out of a jam have faith your tires will hold

+ 10000, plus, they are so small, you can always swerve and split, or even use the e-lane. OP if you had time to make a conscious decision to get on the brakes or dump it, and then take the time to jump off the bike. you had plenty of time to stop.

Many mild performance cars can go from 60-0 in 120-130 feet. That's outclassing a sportbike of the same braking performance level by 10 feet at the minimum.

again, that's a mediocre rider @ 140, you get someone on that bike who knows their ass from their elbow and the braking distance shortens further.