Mid powered sport tourer?

progrmr

I like that Z750S (love the z1000!) but I don't want to finance it so I'll just have to keep saving and hope there's one available in the spring - tempting though...actually partially filled out the credit app then bailed on it :)

I like the triumph for sure but repair costs make me nervous.

So sounds like:

Katana 750 (although no one recommended it lol!)

ST1100

Suzuki Bandit 1200

Kawasaki Z750S

Triumph Sprint

VFR 800

Yamaha FZ6

Man - that's a pretty good list. Lots of options. thanks!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also look into the bandit 1200. I know the motor is big but it has around a 105bhp with lots of ft lbs. They weigh in around 500 pounds and are very comfy. I had a 2000 and put around 40k miles on it, with many 3000+ mile 5 day road trips. They can be had cheap and are bullet proof. Can even get givi hard bags and turn them into a great sport tour bike. The vfr is nice but they are not cheap to buy. For the price range you listed you would be lucky to get a 7-10 year old vfr.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/1897014850.html

+1 the bandit is another good one.

I like that Z750S (love the z1000!) but I don't want to finance it so I'll just have to keep saving and hope there's one available in the spring - tempting though...actually partially filled out the credit app then bailed on it :)

So sounds like:

Katana 750 (although no one recommended it lol!)

ST1100

Suzuki Bandit 1200

Kawasaki Z750S

Triumph Sprint

VFR 800

Yamaha FZ6

Man - that's a pretty good list. Lots of options. thanks!

My FZ6 isn't for sale, but let me know if you ever want a test ride.

I have had 2 different Triumph Sprint ST's and neither one of them have seen a dealership service department. There is no reliability issues with these bikes in my mind. My 2002 I was putting 12k a year on that bike when I lived in Florida, now that I am up here and have the 06 1050 I am putting about 7k a year on it.

Nothing against you. This is just something I've observed and want to speak about.

This excuse is really losing backing. That since it's not mainstream Japanese it's expensive to fix. Has anyone seen the cost of repairing a Japanese bike at a dealer? It's the same cost as the Italians, British, and others. So how about parts? It's more expensive to buy parts from the Euros than the Japs surely. Eh, no. Go into any Japanese make dealership and you'll get shafted on parts. So what do you do? You buy online for all of your goods and save money. Guess what the guys with the Euro bikes do? Same thing.

After owning this Aprilia, I've realized that I haven't put any more money into repairing and maintaining it than I would have any Japanese bike like the Kawi, Zuks, Yamis, and Hondas.

Excuse invalid. Don't be afraid. :)

my triumph has 26k on it. Its left me stranded one time. My clutch cable broke. It was my fault, as the cable was rubbing the adjustment barrel, and I said oh it will be fine. Parts as don stated are no different than jap bikes. Actually I have found more support online for my triumph than I ever did for my cbr. triumphrat.net is wonderful. There are many triumph employees plus folks who have ridden 100s of thousands of miles upon a triumph and are more than willing to help. Bikebandit.com has parts, as well as many others. For oil and a filter. Mobile one 4t with a napa gold filter. 45 dollar oil change, and triumph recomends an oil change every 6k.

progrmr, seems we have the same taste in bikes or at least looking for the same thing. I have a ninja 250 now. I like to ride on the weekends but also commute during the week, 30 minutes, 15 on I-75 into and out of Cincinnati. I am looking for a bike with more power, wind protection but more of a standard/naked bike. I just added the Yamaha and Bandit to my list because of your thread.

Kawasaki er-6n

Kawasaki Z750S

Suzuki Gladius or SV650

Suzuki vstrom 650

Suzuki bandit

Yamaha FZ6

Let us know what you decide.

progrmr, seems we have the same taste in bikes or at least looking for the same thing. I have a ninja 250 now. I like to ride on the weekends but also commute during the week, 30 minutes, 15 on I-75 into and out of Cincinnati. I am looking for a bike with more power, wind protection but more of a standard/naked bike. I just added the Yamaha and Bandit to my list because of your thread.

Kawasaki er-6n

Kawasaki Z750S

Suzuki Gladius or SV650

Suzuki vstrom 650

Suzuki bandit

Yamaha FZ6

Let us know what you decide.

You have the same taste in bikes as me Bubs, well except for the strom. Any of those bikes would make a great second bike for you. I was dead set on buying an er-6n until I found my Z750S, glad I got the Z though because the extra hp is nice. I am ready for a Z1000 now though...lol.

Forgot about the 'strom. From what I've heard and read, that would be a great choice too.

He said something about not getting blown around on the highway. The Stroms are not real good with wind. They tend to wander around, and there is a lot of turbulence. Not a good first choice for a highway bike.

You have the same taste in bikes as me Bubs, well except for the strom. Any of those bikes would make a great second bike for you. I was dead set on buying an er-6n until I found my Z750S, glad I got the Z though because the extra hp is nice. I am ready for a Z1000 now though...lol.

For some reason the Z750s is not that well known in the US, but it's a teriffic all around bike.

I may b lone n this but I would recommend a katana. The prices r good and the r extremely reliable. Penty of online and local help on katriders.com I had a 06kat 600 for a first bike...not the fasted but more than capable. Most folks will hate on them but u don't ride motorcycle for most folks.

On the other hand I really like the triumph sprinter st as well. I've seen what they can do - jmathis (john) can roll his like crazy!

For some reason the Z750s is not that well known in the US, but it's a teriffic all around bike.

I agree, it is an awesome bike. I like the upright ergos with the sporty engine and semi-naked look. It is just Kawasaki's version of the FZ6 really. I wish they would start bringing the Z750 back to this country again. They sell like hotcakes all over the rest of the world.

I like the semi naked sport standards. But the rest of the 20 something squidly kids who make up the bulk of the market like the shiny new race bikes. With more power then they could ever hope to use. If it has a half fairing and a 100bhp it would bruise there egos.

Amen brother! Street Triple R or monster 796 will likely be next for me.

I did a demo on a street triple R and was shocked with the performence. I would love to get one to replace my triple. it is almost the same power just less ft lbs. They handle very well, and it is much lighter then my 10 year old triple is. To bad it was only a 10 mile demo ride with a control rider up front. Never been on a monster but like the looks of them. Almost bought a s2r awhile back.