My son wants to shoot

standout

For his 16th birthday my son asked if I would let him shoot. I think it's a great time to teach him about gun safety and the correct way to use a firearm. I plan on taking him to Ohio valley outdoors indoor shooting range and was wondering if anyone is familiar with the available guns they have for rent and what guns are more "child friendly" aka less recoil. Thanks

Or more importantly, what they have they will let him shoot there.

Pistols are 21 and over to rent.

Rifles are 16 and over I believe.

But, a lot of places don't really carry rifles much.

.17, .22, .410, and 9 mm would all be easy to handle in rifle form and pretty much the same in pistol form. 9mm will kick a little though for someone who's never shot something.

I don't keep guns in the house cuz I have younger children as well. I looked at there website but it doesn't say what weapons are available to rent. I would much rather me teach him propper use then to learn the way I did and end up with a black eye and your buddies laughing at u cuz they give me a huge gun to shot and didn't explain the recoil.

I don't keep guns in the house cuz I have younger children as well. I looked at there website but it doesn't say what weapons are available to rent. I would much rather me teach him propper use then to learn the way I did and end up with a black eye and your buddies laughing at u cuz they give me a huge gun to shot and didn't explain the recoil.

Call em. They are the one's who can answer with the most certainty.

even with parental supervision there?

With rented weapons yes. At least that's the way it is at our local indoor range. Actually here it's 21 for pistol rental and 18 for rifle rental, even with adult supervision.

If you bring your own though, then it's 16 and up.

I'm not telling you about parenting, but my daughter is 3 years old. She already knows not to touch my guns or ammo. As soon as I feel she is trustworthy and mature enough she will begin shooting under my supervision. She is usually with us when we shoot so she sees the damage and hears the noises. A child familiar with firearms wont be curious with them and possibly do something dumb.

anyways, I'd recommend a friend with land and guns. Then you guys can shoot at your own pace and not the ranges. You can take your time with the training. But that might not be an option for you. I don't ever go to ranges so I don't know of any to tell you. my .02.

Edited by chevysoldier
fix typo, "much" to "touch"

My son shot a handgun this year when he was 6. Already Knows the rules and wears all the eye and ear Protection. I trust him more then some of the adults I have had to train or supervise as a line coach.

Edited by TopGun

16 isnt a kid anymore he doesnt need a "kid friendly" I'm sure he can handle any gun you can. Dont let kids being in the house be the reason you dont have guns. Instead teach them about the guns. My daughter has been shooting since she was 6 and was shooting an AK by 8. That being said I have land and invite people out to shoot often gather up some guns and you're welcome to bring him out here.

Can't say about the range rules for certain. I have seen kids clearly under 16 in that range with their parents shooting rifles and handguns but I don't know if the guns were personal or rented. As for what caliber guns to start him with, I would recomend starting with a .38 revolver and a 9mm semi-auto. If and when he's comfortable with those, move up to .40 and .45 ACP. With all of the first time shooters I've taken to the range, that's how I started them and we moved at their pace. They all had a great time, learned alot about gun safety, and a few even changed their stand point on "no guns for civillians ever." Point being, start small-ish and work you way up with him untill he reaches his comfort zone in terms of both caliber and type, revolver or semi-auto.

Can't say about the range rules for certain. I have seen kids clearly under 16 in that range with their parents shooting rifles and handguns but I don't know if the guns were personal or rented. As for what caliber guns to start him with, I would recomend starting with a .38 revolver and a 9mm semi-auto. If and when he's comfortable with those, move up to .40 and .45 ACP. With all of the first time shooters I've taken to the range, that's how I started them and we moved at their pace. They all had a great time, learned alot about gun safety, and a few even changed their stand point on "no guns for civillians ever." Point being, start small-ish and work you way up with him untill he reaches his comfort zone in terms of both caliber and type, revolver or semi-auto.

Yeah, if you scare them with the first gun they shoot, they wont ever want to shoot again.

+1 to everything already mentioned.

My daughter is 3 and knows not to touch my guns. But my guns are also out of her reach. She sits with me when i clean them and she has been around me when I have been shooting at my parents. The key is to take the mysteriousness away from them. If they already know what it can do, most likely the don't care about it or have the curiosity. I like others have been shooting for a long time. I came from the hills of Pennsylvania, not much else to do around there.

I would say if he's never been around them then maybe some type of rim fire. Im sure there is someone you know with one and they are super cheap to shoot. O and i personally dont like ranges. I seem rushed or there is someone with a elephant gun beside you trying to make your ear bleed.

my son of 5, a couple weeks later turned 6 ... loved shooting .223 rifle and various handguns. Taught him with bb guns first (hand gun and long gun) with the eye and ear pro, how to use the safety, etc .... he enjoyed a day of shooting the big guns ....

teach them right, teach them early.

What everyone said. I have 4 kids they all know about my guns and they respect them. I start teaching them around 2 about shooting. My oldest is 9 and has been shooting his 22/20ga for 2 years now. I start mine on the range at 7. It is more dangerous to have teens in the house that have not grown up around guns then to have small children that have grown up shooting them.

Call em. They are the one's who can answer with the most certainty.

It's 2010.....i can't tell u the last time i picked up the phone to call someone. If it's not on the internet it doesn't exist. :)

Thanks for all the insight. We will probably be going down tuesday and i will let u all know how it goes. Gonna be taking my 16 and my 13 year old.

I took my 9 year old daughter to Ohio Valley for the first time about 3 months ago. I let her shoot my 9mm and 380mm. Meanwhile I had rented a Ruger SR9C to try it out. I also let her shoot it. They never said anything to me, about not letting her fire it.

As for my other kids - 5, 3, and 4 months.....they have not been to the range yet. But they do know about my guns, and ammo. They know not to touch them. I even have an old pellet pistol that looks like a real gun. Every once in a while I leave it laying around as a test. They kids come and tell me that I left my gun out. So they pass. So far they have never touched it. The real guns are in quick access safes around the house, or on me.

Lets make it a meet. At ov I think its 10-15 to rent a gun. But I have a few rifles 556 308 and a 22. You kid is more than welcome to shoot them. He just has to pay for the ammo. Then he can clean them after were done. I work 10mins from there. And Carl the owner is a nice Guy.

The indoor range by me only lets 2 in a stall at a time? might have to have one kid sit out while you have the other one shoot? My 9 year old is ok with shooting my 22, his 22/20 ga, and my .223. I let him shoot my 22 handgun a few times with me standing behind him helping. He liked my .223, is a good round to start on center fire rifle with, not much kick.