GI: Ashtabula Covered Bridge Ride 2010?

armith

don't have the route finalized yet.. last year was maybe around 70-80 miles.. took all day but we hit like 12 of the 17 bridges.. Plan on it being and all day thing.. and we usually do a quick stop midway in Jefferson for food/gas/pee break..

Thinking about a slight change up to put on a few more miles but maybe cut it down to 9 or 10 bridges.. Plus it was suggested we try dinner at Covered Bridge Pizza in Andover. It's been a hectic few days so I haven't put a lot of time into planning the route.

This seems like it could be fun , how long was the ride last year / how long does it seem like it will be this year ? / miles covered.

what he said, but last year myself and another guy dipped out early due a rain threat as well as I had friends coming into town I needed to get back for...so if you can't stay all day it really isn't a big issue.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

ok so I've got a couple routes drafted up.. We can take last years route which will be an all day run 12-13 bridges... an alternative route will be more like 7 or 8 bridges but hitting Windsor and Riverdale bridges which are way away from the bulk of the bridges.. But this gives us a couple nice stretchs of open road riding instead of stopping every 4 or 5 miles.. That will set up nice for dinner in Andover too.

What's are you guys feeling? few extra miles and couple less bridges or same route as last year and trying to see as many bridges as possible?

BTW for those who didn't make it last year.. Ashtabula County has 17 total covered bridges.. the plan was to visit 14 of them.. we ended up with 12 or 13 visited.. To hit all 17 bridges would be pretty much a dawn to dusk trip requiring a little dirt/gravel road travel. My route avoids the non paved stuff as much as possible.

Do we want to meet at the Sheetz like last year or anyone opposed to meeting up at the bula harbor.. the lift bridge is sorta a nice photo op for getting everyone together. Now that the construction is over it's easy to get to from Rt 11. Don't matter to me either way just figured I'd throw in a little product placement for Ashtabula........tourism?? :wtf:

DSCN0914.jpg

Also would we like to stop at State Rd bridge for "action" shots again? I know some people were interested and some weren't.. I thought it was kinda cool but we can skip it, especially if weather is a factor.

Edited by armith
  • Upvote 1

Ok date is nearing I've made some updates to the first post..

Shooting for Oct. 2nd.. Unless there is an overwhelming response to make it Sunday we'll keep it as Saturday. I'll start monitoring the 10 day forecast when the time comes.

I'm thinking Covered Bridge Pizza as a late lunch idea as it fits into the route a little bit better.. Plus I'm thinking less chance of a crowd at 2-3pm on a Saturday. Since we're leaving at 11am there's time to snack early.

I still kinda want a photo op at the Lift Bridge so if the weather cooperates I'm thinking we make that the final stop.. That way we're all close to the highways for everyone to head home... If the weather doesn't cooperate we'll make Harpersfield / Mechanicsville bridge the last stop which is also near I90 for easy departure.

Now I'll get a Plan B (poor weather less bridges) route together and I'll probably make a scouting run later this week.

Edited by armith

10 Day forecast: Sunny High of 60.. 10% chance of rain..

Sounds like perfect weather for an autumn ride! fingers crossed that forecast holds as we draw near.

I will probably be scouting out the route tomorrow after work.