No more OSU/Michigan regular season games?

Casper

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, this is fucked up.

:+15million:

There should be crowds with pitch forks and torches marching on the Big 10 HQ building. No other conference with multiple divisions has split rivalry teams like this. I hope to hell this is another case of bad reporting.

Edited by cmh_sprint

So i didnt read it all, but they are wanting to move it to mid season in hopes of a title game between them?

They're wanting to break the Big 10 (12 teams) into two divisions of 6 teams. Michigan and OSU would be on different divisions. So they only way they'd play is if they each win their division and play for the Big 10 championship game.

EVERYONE needs to email the Big 10 to let them know that we will not stand for this. also, email gene smith and jim tressel and let them know how you feel. or call them.

:

Jim Delany big ten commissioner:

jdelany@bigten.org 847-696-1010

jim tressel:

tressel.3@osu.edu 614-292-7620

gene smith OSU athletic director:

smith.5407@osu.edu 614-292-2477

Edited by John

They're wanting to break the Big 10 (12 teams) into two divisions of 6 teams. Michigan and OSU would be on different divisions. So they only way they'd play is if they each win their division and play for the Big 10 championship game.

This isn't exactly correct... The article says they're talking about splitting the conference into two divisions, and putting OSU and UM into different divisions, but they'll still play every year. In October. So what they're saying is that in their perfect, pie in the sky situation, OSU will play UM twice. Once in the middle of the regular season, and then potentially in a conference championship game.

It's CRAP!

You'd think the Big Ten would have learned from their disastrous Big Ten Network debacle.

People who bring up these "good ideas" should be smacked. Repeatedly.

Here's a better thought:

All twelve teams play each other once through the season. No more of this ten game, eleven teams, who really won garbage. Twelve games would be great, I think the Big Ten season is ridiculously short anyways...

We can then do one of two things:

Declare a big ten champion as always, or take the top six teams, seed them, and then play a quick tournament.

:whogives:

College football is so over rated. It's a game, get over it. :nono:

We've agreed on almost everything until this moment... Sadness

Edited by dorifto240

So, isn't that a better deal? If Michigan gets their shit together like the old days, they'd face OSU for the final and have the title decided.

I like it.

Plus, it isn't really a big deal anymore...

So, isn't that a better deal? If Michigan gets their shit together like the old days, they'd face OSU for the final and have the title decided.

I like it.

Plus, it isn't really a big deal anymore...

only problem is the "final" will be in a closed roof stadium (indy colts home field). no more games where the season (and some careers) is/are on the line in the brisk wintery chill with snow or horrible conditions that make THE game so great at the shoe or big house.

and thats only IF they get their shit together.

its not a big deal at the moment because michigan sucks, but once they start getting good again it will become a big deal again. its lasted 100+ years with ups and downs, the rivalry will continue on after michigan's slump, as long as this new format doesn't ruin it.

I may be incurring the wrath of rabid Buckeye fans here but, I don't watch football, college or pro. I don't pay attention to the Buckeyes or Michigan, or any of the other teams. Other than hockey, I'm not a big sports fan in general. However, I do think that college athletics are the soul of American sports. The kids don't play for multi-million dollar a year paychecks. They play the game mostly because they love the game. That's what makes college sports good, in my opinion; the college players often have way more heart and play alot harder than their professional counter-parts. All the being said, this messing with the OSU / Michigan game is crap, they need to have a little respect for history and tradition and leave things alone.

You guys who act like it doesn't matter cause OSU has been winning lately crack me up. OSU has had the upper hand in the last 10 years...but if you look at the history of this rivalry you'll see this goes back and forth....with the underdog usually chomping at the bit to spoil championship dreams for the other team. News flash...UM won't always suck just like OSU got past Cooper. Stop being a homer. This game is tradition..and it's bigger than your recent memory of OSU wins. I hate OSU..but I love the fact that this is the biggest rivalry in collegiate sports and I tip my hat to the vest and the buckeyes for handing UM their ass lately. Don't get cocky bitches....it will turn around and we will get back to pounding your ass like Michael Jackson in summer school. Until then and beyond that point, this game is bigger than either school or their records. Leave it alone.

You guys who act like it doesn't matter cause OSU has been winning lately crack me up. OSU has had the upper hand in the last 10 years...but if you look at the history of this rivalry you'll see this goes back and forth....with the underdog usually chomping at the bit to spoil championship dreams for the other team. News flash...UM won't always suck just like OSU got past Cooper. Stop being a homer. This game is tradition..and it's bigger than your recent memory of OSU wins. I hate OSU..but I love the fact that this is the biggest rivalry in collegiate sports and I tip my hat to the vest and the buckeyes for handing UM their ass lately. Don't get cocky bitches....it will turn around and we will get back to pounding your ass like Michael Jackson in summer school. Until then and beyond that point, this game is bigger than either school or their records. Leave it alone.

As much as I hate Michigan, I couldnt agree more.

I hate you :D

You guys who act like it doesn't matter cause OSU has been winning lately crack me up. OSU has had the upper hand in the last 10 years...but if you look at the history of this rivalry you'll see this goes back and forth....with the underdog usually chomping at the bit to spoil championship dreams for the other team.

I think it's easy to get complacent during a period when one team is dominant.

I wish I remember who said it in "Faster," but they were asking a retired rider (Schwantz? Raney?) about the Biaggi/Rossi rivalry, and he said, "what rivalry? I haven't seen Biaggi win anything in a while."

But these aren't two riders with (at most) 20-25 year careers; they're schools with over 100 years of history between them. The oldest people on the planet have experienced this rivalry their entire lives.

That would be a foolish thing for the Big 10 to disrupt.