PX4 vs XD9 vs M&P 9c

Bad324

These are the 3 guns I'm debating picking up soon. I should be getting my CCW sometime this fall. I've held all 3 but have yet to shoot any of them. I am pretty set on getting a 9mm because to me its the most cost effective for me. I am not adverse to a .45 however, if a steal of a deal came along in a .45 well then I could go that route. I am still somewhat of a newb when it comes to gun ownership so basically looking for the pro's and con's of these from people who have experience with them :D

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I each have an XD I am in LOVE with it. I owned an M&P and got rid of it because I did not like it at all. I felt every motion of the slide and it was not comfortable to me. This is opposite of every review I have read though so you never know. I recommend shooting them if they are available. Then you can feel everything about them and decide for yourself. But I have yet to hear a bad thing about the XD, and I certainly dont have a bad thing to say about it.

id go sub compact .45 acp springfield xd. 9mm wont initially stop them from moving forward, a .45 will. a 9mm in my eyes is a paper puncher gun. i like the safety features for carrying on the xd as well. m&p is overated. i would tell someone glock over s&w anyday for semi autos.

I carry an M&P .45c daily. It fits my hand really well, includes 3 different backstraps for different hand sizes. I read it is left as an open design, meaning the slide doesn't fit tight, to allow debris to fall out of the gun. The recoil is low so even at rapid fire all rounds will end up very tightly grouped. I love mine.

I have never shot a XD but the grip seemed too square and was uncomfortable to hold. Too much like a Glock.

CS

These are all good guns but in my opinion the PX4 storm is the best of the bunch. I shot all these and more trying to figure out which gun was right for me. It comes down to this. Buy the gun that feels the most natural in your hand. That will be the gun you should buy.

Kames had the Storm on sale. :)

I should've mentioned that I am left handed so if that makes any difference. I know a few I've shot over the years seemed like a pain in the ass being left handed since the controls were on the other side. I really enjoyed the feel of the PX4, felt the most natural but I also played with it the longest. The others I pretty much picked up held for 15 seconds to get the feel then moved on.

id go sub compact .45 acp springfield xd. 9mm wont initially stop them from moving forward, a .45 will. a 9mm in my eyes is a paper puncher gun. i like the safety features for carrying on the xd as well. m&p is overated. i would tell someone glock over s&w anyday for semi autos.

Is there a Glock you would recommend? I didn't get the chance to look at any because I had to get back home

I worry more about concealability than caliber. A .32 in a pocket holster is going to do more good than a .45 that is home in the gun safe because it's too bulky to carry comfortably.

And in all serious, you're probably NOT going to get in a gunfight with someone all jacked up on drugs that's going to keep coming at you after 1 round of .32, .380, 9mm etc.

I worry more about concealability than caliber. A .32 in a pocket holster is going to do more good than a .45 that is home in the gun safe because it's too bulky to carry comfortably.

And in all serious, you're probably NOT going to get in a gunfight with someone all jacked up on drugs that's going to keep coming at you after 1 round of .32, .380, 9mm etc.

kinda my thoughts as well, I think it is more prevalent someone will be deterred once you pull out the gun if need be. Then if they still think you won't fire it, shoot at them and they will be deterred further. Thats my thought process at least

I should've mentioned that I am left handed so if that makes any difference....

I know the XD has ambi mag release, can't speak for the others.

...Is there a Glock you would recommend?...

You're asking the "twin Glock 40's" guy that question? :D:lol:

My advice - get to a range and shoot before you buy. As has been said, if you don't like it and/or don't feel comfortable with it, you won't carry it.

If you're ever in the C-Bus area you're welcome to try my XD Service models in 9mm and .45 ACP.

i completely disagree. theres been many many people who have taken multiple hits from 9mm and .40 caliber. i want to drop them and blow them back with one shot. a 9mm isnt gonna do it unless its a perfect shot imo. rather go with a nice .45 or .357 revolver.

I should've mentioned that I am left handed so if that makes any difference. I know a few I've shot over the years seemed like a pain in the ass being left handed since the controls were on the other side. I really enjoyed the feel of the PX4, felt the most natural but I also played with it the longest. The others I pretty much picked up held for 15 seconds to get the feel then moved on.

Is there a Glock you would recommend? I didn't get the chance to look at any because I had to get back home

yup the glock g30 or g33. they are .45 acp and .357 subcompacts. i wouldnt have anything but a subcompact in semi auto pistols to carry. smaller and less weight. id go xd then glock then beretta imo. again buy what feels the most comfortable, they are all very good firearms.:D

i completely disagree. theres been many many people who have taken multiple hits from 9mm and .40 caliber. i want to drop them and blow them back with one shot. a 9mm isnt gonna do it unless its a perfect shot imo. rather go with a nice .45 or .357 revolver.

This is the stuff of urban legends. 9mm was good enough when I was in the USMC.

Carry whatever make you feel right.

I should've mentioned that I am left handed so if that makes any difference. I know a few I've shot over the years seemed like a pain in the ass being left handed since the controls were on the other side.

The M&P's have a slide release on both sides and the mag release can be switched for lefties.

The M&P's have a slide release on both sides and the mag release can be switched for lefties.

XD slide releases are on the left side only.

Thumb safety (optional on the .45 ACP only (I think)) is ambi.

9mm are cheaper than .45s. if im not mistaken "higher up" and "special ops" use 1911 .45s

There is a small percentage of .45s in service. Navy Seals use Sig 9mm, there is a .45 SOCOM used by a few units. In combat, I would take 15 9mm over 7 .45s every time...but this thread is about CCW.

Who puts one round in somebody, whom you felt enough danger from to shoot in the first place. If its one attacker empty the damn gun. If I shot you 6 times in the chest with a .22, I'm pretty sure your going to stop moving forward. Change that to a 9mm, .40, .380 and your definitely not moving any further forward, unless your falling that direction. Contrary to movies, being shot by a gun even at close range isn't going to knock you backwards.

I own an XD SC and a M&P Compact 9mm I think the guns are about the same. I think my XD feels better, but wouldn't hesitate to grab either if needed. As stated shoot the guns mentioned and pick the one that feels the best. I have fired a few Glocks and really do not like the feeling of them in my hand. However I was accurate with them.

Edited by Meanie

Who puts one round in somebody, whom you felt enough danger from to shoot in the first place. If its one attacker empty the damn gun. If I shot you 6 times in the chest with a .22, I'm pretty sure your going to stop moving forward. Change that to a 9mm, .40, .380 and your definitely not moving any further forward, unless your falling that direction. Contrary to movies, being shot by a gun even at close range isn't going to knock you backwards.

I own an XD SC and a M&P Compact 9mm I think the guns are about the same. I think my XD feels better, but wouldn't hesitate to grab either if needed. As stated shoot the guns mentioned and pick the one that feels the best. I have fired a few Glocks and really do not like the feeling of them in my hand. However I was accurate with them.

wrong.

I have only owned the M&P and 2 xd 9mm. I liked the M&P was a good gun I am left handed also, I had it set up for left mag release. I did not like the trgger on the m&p was about the only gripe I had. I now have two springfields. one sc9mm and one service model. You want to meet up at stonewall to give them a try sometime let me know. I looked at the storm didnt care for it much. Also not a big glock fan they dont fit my short wide hands well. Sig makes some nice 9mm as well but a bit more money then the ones you listed.

My xd9sc will carry 13+1 of powerball or critcal defense, think that will stop even the most drugged up attacker.

I'll have to check again at Stonewall to see if they have any to rent but I know they don't have the PX4 subcompact.

Also on a side note, if anyone can find me any of these guns for $400 or less then I'd have to consider it sooner than later :D