Buying a bike 3 hours away then riding home?

trashbox

I've been looking for a used Triumph Bonneville and found one Miamisburg. I'm in Akron so it's about 3 1/2 hours away. Also I'll be financing part of it (stupid I know). I've never purchased a car or bike from a private seller.

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this? It would be great to do it in one trip, but I'm a little hesitant to buy something site unseen. Would some hi-res pictures and the VIN be enough to cover my ass?

I'm thinking I'll have to make two trips. One to see the bike give him/her some cash to hold it. Then send the check and pick it up another day.

Any tips or suggestions? If I get the VIN can I verify it has a clean title somehow?

Thanks and sorry if these are stupid questions.

The guy that bought my bike was from Dayton. He made two trips, one to check out the bike and a second to come pick it up. He rented a trailer from uhaul though.

When my buddy bought his bike in the spring, we went down to cbus to go get it. Being as it was a friend of a forum member and sponsor, I felt pretty confident that it was a solid bike. We showed up with my truck and a trailer, he test rode it and bought it on the spot

Being that far away, I highly suggest trailering it and doing it all in one day

The guy that bought my bike was from Dayton. He made two trips, one to check out the bike and a second to come pick it up. He rented a trailer from uhaul though.

When my buddy bought his bike in the spring, we went down to cbus to go get it. Being as it was a friend of a forum member and sponsor, I felt pretty confident that it was a solid bike. We showed up with my truck and a trailer, he test rode it and bought it on the spot

Being that far away, I highly suggest trailering it and doing it all in one day

Yep. I bought my RR from a member on here, I was fortunate enough to have access to a Sprinter van that had wheel chocks onboard. I made sure to find out as much info as I could ahead of time, then loaded everything up on the Sprinter and drove 3 hours to pick up the bike. Since I had cash in hand I was able to test ride it, everything felt good so I picked it up.

take out the loan for the money u need....drive there cash in hand...if you like it, take it home..if you dont like it, leave and go back to the bank and tell them it fell through and pay off the loan on the spot

Unless he's getting a personal loan, every bank I've worked with doesn't work that way. They want the title on the spot then the bank pays the seller, not you.

Unless he's getting a personal loan, every bank I've worked with doesn't work that way. They want the title on the spot then the bank pays the seller, not you.

not my bank...thats how i bought my dirt bike (yea, financing a 2k dirt bike is dumb lol...i was 16 and wanted to anyways)

maybe credit unions are different i guess..

not my bank...thats how i bought my dirt bike (yea, financing a 2k dirt bike is dumb lol...i was 16 and wanted to anyways)

maybe credit unions are different i guess..

Possibly, that's who I was going through when I was debating on financing the RR. They couldn't cut the check without the title, and due to the distance I couldn't get the title to the bank without cutting the check.

if you can get check in hand from the bank ahead of time, I don't see why two trips are needed either.

The bank wants the VIN, and they will cut a check to the seller.

There's a couple cheap sportsters locally that I'm going to check out. Might just get one of for a while. Not sure I want a bonneville bad enough to drive two 7 hour days.

until you see one in a parking lot somewhere and you start thinking of what might have been. Ask a ton of specific maintenance and function related questions like when the fluids were changed and when, when was the chain serviced and send me a picture, spark plugs, and so on. If you get a good communication going and you're comfortable with the answers you're getting, it's going to make the buying and inspection process that much easier when you finally get out there. If you have to scratch and claw for information, it either means that the owner is unable or unwilling to give it to you, and unless they can procure hard maintenance records it's going to make inspection a PITA if you don't know what you're looking for or need to bring someone out who does.

Either way, it's all about what you're comfortable with. I personally wouldn't let a temporary 7 hour nuisance deter me from getting the type of bike I really wanted (assuming it was in good shape) vs. something I was flippantly interested in.

I had thought about getting a check first, but figured the bank would be pissy about it. I should probably give them a call and see what they say.

Thanks again.

No problem. Mine was, but clearly there are other that won't be. All they can say is no.

I got a personal loan through a credit union. Gave me cash on the spot. You may want to look into one. I would try to do it in one trip. Take everything with you and test it out. I agree with cheech ask as much as you can and if it's going well then thats a good sign. If your getting bad vibes it's probably for a reason.

Everybody has a Sportser. Not everyone has a Bonneville. Get the triumph.

Check it out early in the morning, like they said. That gives you enough time to think about it, secure the loan, come back and pick it up. Besides, that's a hell of a story about getting your bike!

I don't recommend leaving a "deposit." What's to stop that guy from selling it to someone else and keeping your money? Morality and decency?

i second the triumph. I love my sprint. I know a few whom have bonnies, and just cant say enough about them on how nice they are. Only complaint i have heard is the stock seat is kinda blah. Put a nice after market exhaust on it and ride it! they sound wonderful!

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

until you see one in a parking lot somewhere and you start thinking of what might have been. Ask a ton of specific maintenance and function related questions like when the fluids were changed and when, when was the chain serviced and send me a picture, spark plugs, and so on. If you get a good communication going and you're comfortable with the answers you're getting, it's going to make the buying and inspection process that much easier when you finally get out there. If you have to scratch and claw for information, it either means that the owner is unable or unwilling to give it to you, and unless they can procure hard maintenance records it's going to make inspection a PITA if you don't know what you're looking for or need to bring someone out who does.

Either way, it's all about what you're comfortable with. I personally wouldn't let a temporary 7 hour nuisance deter me from getting the type of bike I really wanted (assuming it was in good shape) vs. something I was flippantly interested in.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Just the fact that the owner can give you specific information quickly about maintenance or problems is a good sign. Ask as many questions as you need to, don't hesitate, its your money and you need to be 100% before handing it over. Since this is your first private sale it might be beneficial to have someone go with you that knows some of the things to look for. Also, high-res pics and videos are great so you don't end up wasting time going out, but don't be afraid to back out and drive home empty handed. Its better to have spent the drive time then end up with something turning out disastrous.

I am personally going to be heading out 8+ hrs one way (16+ hours total not including any stops) next weekend to look at, and hopefully purchase a bike. I have been in constant contact with the seller (2-3 emails and multiple texts per day) and have a couple of high res pictures, 2 videos and a good idea of his competence level and the maintenance done to the bike. I know what I am getting into, but if something is off when I get there I am not handing over thousands for something I am not perfectly satisfied. I would rather spend $100 in gas with nothing to show then get screwed and spend way more to fix it or be dissatisfied with the purchase. If I do get it, then it will be trailered back with me that day, its too inconvenient to go that distance multiple times, and its only $15 for a uhaul trailer (I heard they are kinda sketchy though and to get the bigger one for like $18, we will see)

Get what you want, don't get what is convenient, you will be much happier in the long run. Also, check the VIN and don't hand over cash unless you are getting a bike in return. If you don't check the VIN and there is a problem, you will get a big surprise trying to title it. Sorry, I don't trust people enough to give a "deposit" on something (or installments if it is the other way around). BTW, go Triumph :D