Mossberg Maverick 88

Bad324

Let me start this out with I'm still a gun noob. I'm starting to get a handle on all the nuances of handguns but know nothing about shotguns. I've been offered one of these in trade for my Sigma. I wouldn't mind having a shotgun for home defense but can't really see where I would use it much if at all because of where I live. Here is the email I got:

got a Mossberg Maverick model 88 12 gauge shotgun with a vent ribbed double bead barrel comes with modified and turkey choke if you might be interested in that. Thanks

I have no idea what the benefits of either of those 2 things are though so can anyone give me the idiots guide? :D

Opinions on this model are welcome also

I'm a noob on shotguns too but have heard good stuff on those from what I remember. I think it would be worth trading for a Sig, but then I really don't like Sigs at all.

How would it not work for home defense for you? I live in an apartment and love having my shotgun for home defense. Chokes will affect the spread pattern of the shot.

How would it not work for home defense for you?

I live in a neighborhood where it is extremely unlikely a home invasion would occur. Not saying it cant or wont happen, just meant that I don't know how much use I would get out of it

I live in a neighborhood where it is extremely unlikely a home invasion would occur. Not saying it cant or wont happen, just meant that I don't know how much use I would get out of it

Eh, Shit can happen anywhere. Come to the next OR shoot and have at some clays. It's a lot of fun!

I can think of three reasons to use it! deer, turkey, sporting clays! And it would work well if something does go wrong.

i'd love to go hunting but I don't know anyone around here that does. I also get the feeling I would not be so good with clays :lol:

i'd love to go hunting but I don't know anyone around here that does. I also get the feeling I would not be so good with clays :lol:

Neither am I. I have shot 10 rounds at clays. 5 of them hit. I think 50% for my first time isn't bad. I can't wait to do it again.

Quick google tells me that's a cheaper version of the 500, mexican parts, ~$200 brand new.

Vent rib means there's a rib stood off on top of the barrel to sight along, helps prevent heat mirage. Pretty standard for most full length shotguns. Double bead means there is a bead mid length as well as at the muzzle, something more to help you line up (opinions vary). Modified is a mid-level choke most shotguns ship with, good all-around. Turkey is extra tight, probably not useful for much except blasting the heads off turkeys, or some super long range trap. With an interchangable choke system you can buy whatever choke tube you want and put it in there.

I'm sure it's fine for shooting clays and birds. Don't think you want to swing a 28" barrel in your house.

Hope this helps.

Quick google tells me that's a cheaper version of the 500, mexican parts, ~$200 brand new.

Vent rib means there's a rib stood off on top of the barrel to sight along, helps prevent heat mirage. Pretty standard for most full length shotguns. Double bead means there is a bead mid length as well as at the muzzle, something more to help you line up (opinions vary). Modified is a mid-level choke most shotguns ship with, good all-around. Turkey is extra tight, probably not useful for much except blasting the heads off turkeys, or some super long range trap. With an interchangable choke system you can buy whatever choke tube you want and put it in there.

I'm sure it's fine for shooting clays and birds. Don't think you want to swing a 28" barrel in your house.

Hope this helps.

this helps extremely! thank you much. I think I'll not go with this trade for now upon learning this

Hope this helps.

What he said. Mossburgs are on the lower end of shotguns, but it would be a fine clay or deer gun, if they dont hear it rattling thru the woods. ;)

What he said. Mossburgs are on the lower end of shotguns, but it would be a fine clay or deer gun, if they dont hear it rattling thru the woods. ;)

And Maverick is the lower end Mossburg. Your Sigma is worth more. New Mavericks were going for < $150 recently.

And Maverick is the lower end Mossburg. Your Sigma is worth more. New Mavericks were going for < $150 recently.

Coincidentally, that armslist site Casper(?) posted the other day had a Maverick 88 up for sale around Columbus, so I did a little research on it just before reading this thread.

As others have said, it's the cheaper version of the Mossberg 500. The primary differences are:

- no scope taps

- the safety operates differently than the 500

- the slide is different than the 500

If you're not looking to modify the gun, the 88 appears to be an ok and inexpensive choice.

There's 2 of them for sale on armslist; a used 20" barrel model, (which adds enough room for an additional round) and a new 18.5" barrel. Both are listed for $200.

From what others have posted here, those are at least $50 high.