Paying cash tolls on a bike

Scruit

I have a ride coming up in a couple of weeks and I'll be taking toll roads in the US and Canada. How do you get set up for paying tolls on a bike? Stop / remove gloves / dig for loose change?

Also, can you pay the Canadian tolls in US currency? Like on I94 from MI into ONT which is listed as a toll road..?

Looks like I can pay the Bluewater Bridge toll in US currency. I need to make sure I have plenty of quarters handy...

http://www.bwba.org/toll_e.html

Same with Rainbow Bridge from CA to USA at Niagara Falls.

http://niagarafallsbridges.com/toll_costs_vehicle_definitions.php3

Anyone here paid tolls in cash before? How does that work on the bike? A shitload slower than in a car I'll bet.

i just have cash sitting in an easily accessible outside pocket and trust them to give me the right change. they always smile awkwardly when they reach in and grab money and then stuff the change back in.

maybe i should stop shuddering and mouth breathing when they get close.

not eaxactly the same, but....

I thought it would be a tremendous hassle digging out my ID card to enter the Air Force base. It takes some getting used to, but then becomes natural, if it is in an easy pocket. Most times, I would have visor up and left glove off, before getting to the gate. Ony a few extra seconds total.

In reality, you won't be taking that much more time than most jackasses at cash tolls.

Well, I know what the toll will be so I guess I'll just put that amount of money in a designated pocket at the gas stop immediately prior.

Has anyone crossed the border on a motorbike recently? How much of a delay is it?

Edit: Cool site here... hourly updates on wait times at various border crossings...

Edited by Scruit

At least one of my tank bags has a change pocket up on top.

But I know that tolls in and around Chicago can be pre paid with an electronic ticket bought on line. Perhaps there is something like that for the Canadian tolls.

edit: nm, it's E-ZPass I'm talking about, and Michigan isn't a part of that yet. And only one bridge in Canada uses it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

Edited by ReconRat

I'll check on prepay.

If not I'm sure I can get a coil holder at wally world pretty cheap. And I could put my thin gloves on before I get to the toll booth. I betcha I could use that kind of coin holder if with my big gloves on.

Edited by Scruit

• 1 month later...

If you got a windshield, get pre pass. You will get a bill instead of having to stop you just blow right on through. I just got back from Texas and was on a toll road down there and they just waved me through, go figure. I may have been the 1 millionth customer or maybe they don't charge for two wheelers.

Has anyone crossed the border on a motorbike recently? How much of a delay is it?

Bluewater is never really busy, except on holidays. If you go across at Detroit bikes can't use the tunnel, and that bridge can get busy, might have to wait an hour.

I would not use the Rainbow in Niagara. That one is always busy. Keep blowing down the QEW and go across at the Peace Bridge. Lines are shorter and you spend less time driving through Buffalo...I am assuming you are going to head back west from Buffalo.....if that is correct drive time is the same either bridge...just an easier/nicer drive using the Peace bridge.

The big question is..... Why does a bike need to pay what a car does considering the lower impact and environmental aspects of riding? I say half as many tires should cost only half as much.

While you are certainly correct that we should pay less look at how they charge....it is by the axle. We have two as do cars. However there are quite a few states out east that do not charge bikes tolls. The real answer is tolls are not about being fair, they are about making money.

I keep change and small bills in the top pocket of my tankbag. I use a Joe Rocket Manta bag so the money goes in the top cell phone pocket. That way it's just kickstand, one glove off, get change, zip and go. Since I don't cross international borders very often (yet) I haven't bothered with the passes. However, if you can get one it wouldn't hurt anyway and it's less time going over the border.

If you're entering into Canada, going over the Peace Bridge into Fort Erie, ON was a breeze, even when Flying Brick and I went on Memorial Day. Reentering into the US, however, was a complete biotch with an almost 2.5 hour wait in the hot, pouring rain.

My biggest problem when stopping at toll booths is stepping on some of the errant oil drips that some cars leave, hence the kickstand down. Slipping on those is no fun.

As for the fees, I do wish there was a separate/non-existent fee for motorcycles but they do this for the $. Therefore, I just pay the man. Whatev.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Use the EZPass/IPass. Slap it in the tank bag map pocket and go. As far as Canada, well, a couple of years ago it would let you through the toll gates but didn't deduct anything because it wasn't recognized by their system. Being from the States they won't track you down but if you live in one of the provinces they will. Two years later and still haven't had any tickets show up at the house.

Jagr - I have one of those deals and was scoffed at but I'll tell you what... it damn sure is convenient.

Edited by Hijnx
totally missed the second and third pages when I posted this... damn blond moments.