New Fed Unemployed Numbers

ReconRat

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

Bureau of Labor Statistics released new data. The national average is 9.6% and improving slowly. Seven states still have high unemployment numbers related to the downturn in the economy. Mostly related to manufacturing and services. California, Florida, Michigan, Nevada, Oregon, Rhode Island, and South Carolina.

Housing values have fallen approximately 50% from their peak prices in 2006 in the most effected states.

Ohio's unemployment rate is improving, but still has over 5 million unemployed workers.

I got a job. starting monday. starts at $25/hr but I have to use my own truck. unemployed since sept 2009. it took me over a year to find one decent paying job or one in my line of work.

hopefully the work doesn't slow down and I'm laid off again. which is my biggest fear. this line of work is like walking on very thin ice. it's because of government spending that I was able to get it too. the company has a bunch of schools to update the windows in.

should keep me busy till spring at min.

Edited by serpentracer

lol, dude, you're blinded by fear... this was hope...

Hope... and change...

The only change I have gotten is the dollars in my pocket have turned into CHANGE!!!

:lol:

The thing that bothers me is that people act like there are no jobs out there. :bs: There are jobs out there, too many people are afraid to step out into something different, to take a pay cut to get future advancement above and beyond what they have had in the past.

Hope... and change...

The only change I have gotten is the dollars in my pocket have turned into CHANGE!!!

The thing that bothers me is that people act like there are no jobs out there. :bs: There are jobs out there, too many people are afraid to step out into something different, to take a pay cut to get future advancement above and beyond what they have had in the past.

you're listening to too much rush limbaugh.

pick up a paper from cincy or look on the "waste of time" internet and have a look at the job section.

there is nothing in the paper other than jobs such as a desk clerk for a hotel, janitors, maintenance for apartments etc. all very low paying jobs but what huge experience. ironic they want people with everything but pay nothing isn't it?

lets take for example you are an out of work network engineer. that's all you know. there isn't anyone hiring for your line of work. what are you supposed to do? you can't get a job mowing lawns because you don't have the experience. that's an $8/hr job. (I couldn't even get one and I own a lawn and lawn mower)

this scenario is what's been playing out all across the country. it's madness. our country and it's employers has lost touch with reality. not all of them but a lot of them are purposely taking advantage of people.

Edited by serpentracer

you're listening to too much rush limbaugh

Uh, no. I've hear maybe 20 minutes of him all year, when he's on the radio of the car that I'm pulling into the shop.

The hope I have is not from the government.

The jobs that are available, look on monster, careerbuilder, even craigslist.org/trd, and be willing to settle for something lesser while you keep looking. There are lots of jobs out there!

Uh, no. I've hear maybe 20 minutes of him all year, when he's on the radio of the car that I'm pulling into the shop.

The hope I have is not from the government.

The jobs that are available, look on monster, careerbuilder, even craigslist.org/trd, and be willing to settle for something lesser while you keep looking. There are lots of jobs out there!

the internet is the biggest waste of time. I sent out more resumes online than I have useless posts on ohio-riders and have not heard back from 1.

all seriousness, I have sent out about 50 resumes on those sites and never got one response. my resume was even checked out by a resume person at unemployment.

the only reason I got a job was because my buddy knows a guy way up in the company who hired me.

and they have a bunch of government work to do.

it started out being I was going to get $50 per window to install. then they changed it to 25/hr. they realized $50 per window is a lot of money I guess.

I could do 10 a day by myself.

Edited by serpentracer

the internet is the biggest waste of time.

Then quit using it! Buh-bye!

Seriously though, the internet, or employment agencies seem like about the only way to get into somewhere, with the exception of knowing someone at the place. Did you get many interviews out of posting on the internet? I've had a couple, within a week.

Then quit using it! Buh-bye!

Seriously though, the internet, or employment agencies seem like about the only way to get into somewhere, with the exception of knowing someone at the place. Did you get many interviews out of posting on the internet? I've had a couple, within a week.

not one.

Maybe you're not as qualified as you think for the jobs you're applying for?

There's a lot of unemployed people applying for the same jobs...

13 years and schooling is more than qualified. I was probably over qualified and wanted too much pay.

but I'm not doing that kind of work for mexican wages.

they'll all come running back in no time. it will just take a bunch of complaints from customers about the sloppy hacked installs.

window world wants you to install their windows and use all of your own tools, vehicles, provide your own insurance, workers comp, and haul off your own trash to the dump. but only wants to pay $25 per window. :rolleyes: by time you pay for all that stuff you end up working for less than min wage.

the guy from window world called my buddy the other day and offered him $30 and was telling him he needs good installer because the guys they have are hacking shit. my buddy said he declined and told him that's what you are going to get with guys that work for that pay.

they can't make any money so they slap them in as fast and shitty as they can and run off.

I seen some of these clowns. a shitty ragged out truck leaking oil all over the home owners concrete driveway. lol yep those are your $25/window installers.

Edited by serpentracer

13 years and schooling is more than qualified. I was probably over qualified and wanted too much pay.

but I'm not doing that kind of work for mexican wages.

Maybe it would be a good idea to try something different? What I have been looking at is different than what I'm doing now. If I wanted a job doing what I do now, there are MANY job openings out there.

Maybe it would be a good idea to try something different? What I have been looking at is different than what I'm doing now. If I wanted a job doing what I do now, there are MANY job openings out there.

I honestly have thousands of dollars worth of tools tied up in it though. we're talking a $1900 portable trim coil bender(sheet metal brake) a work truck. ladders, hand tools, drills, grinders etc etc.

no one wants to start you out being new to the trade for what I could make doing what I already do. I mean I could make due for a while until something comes my way of course.

but there's no way I can afford to go to school to be a lawyer or something that takes more than unemployment lets you have. you know how long it takes to get a degree. I don't have that luxury. I have too many bills, not enough time etc.

excuses excuses I know.

but I like doing what I do. if I did anything it would be my own company doing remodeling etc. times are slow. but it won't always stay this way. and I will have a better savings plan and a lot more frugal this time around. I'm never buying a new vehicle again. waste of money #1. probably never buy another new bike either. their way too over priced now too.

I was always good at not racking up too much on a credit card. so no big worries there. if I wasn't as good with money as I am I would have been in big trouble when I got laid off. there's no way I could make payments on vehicles and my home together.

Edited by serpentracer

...The thing that bothers me is that people act like there are no jobs out there. :bs: There are jobs out there, too many people are afraid to step out into something different, to take a pay cut to get future advancement above and beyond what they have had in the past.

Yes. I've heard that an average worker will change jobs an average of 5 or 6 times in a lifetime. And not necessarily jobs in the same field.

It can be a complete switch to something else.

I've switched several times. High pay, low pay, and everything in between.

You do what you gotta do. And twice retraining myself out of my own pocket for different knowledge and skills.

Very few jobs are stable. It's best to have a backup plan, in case the economy wipes out a particular sector.

oh yeah, forgot... the odds are probably over 50% that the numbers are false before an election. It could very well change after the elections with some sort of excuse as to why.
77% of statistics are made up.

Including the one I just gave. Wild ass guess...

Based on experience, of course...

When my previous company shut down, I found another engineering job and started a month later but had to drive a round-trip of 3hours a day. I did what I had to though before I started this job back in January. Both of the jobs found me online through my linked in profile. I had multiple offers that I turned down too and I still Havnt finished my degree but had 2 years of experience and high recommendation from people at my former company.

Serpentracer - you're complaining about getting paid $50K for installing windows? That's way fat $$ for the work you're doing.

I saw the sales dropping @ Cycle Search and starting inquiring about jobs ahead of time. Next week I'll be going for training with Direct TV. Its a change of industries, but hey, sometimes these things work out ok.

The problem isn't that there aren't jobs its that you stuck up bastards worn't work for $8-$10 /hr you al say I am not going to work for that little my last job paid $12-$16/ hr or more well news flash 8-10 is alot better the sitting on your ass's bitching about not having a job. no 8-10 may not cover all your bills but it will cover some of them. Maybe we wouldn't have the credit crisis and people wouldnt lose their houses if they would put their pride aside and work a lower paying job then they had. I had to take a pay cut of $6/hr this spring but I am not bitching about not being able to fnd a job I found one making $9/hr no it doesn't pay everything but at least I am not in danger of losing my house. suck it up you over paid babies.

I went out on a limb and switched industries about 3-4 months ago when I saw my DHL job taking a turn for the worse. (Note: DO NOT GO TO WORK FOR DHL IN MANAGEMENT! They have implemented a new system that I was part of the national training program that will run this company into the ground in the US!)

I've gotten back into sales now. It was a HUGE leap to go from $42k salary to 100% commission in an industry that is shaky as hell, but I did it because it was what was best for my family. Now I'm starting to really pick up, and I haven't regretted my decision one bit.

Sometimes, you have to step outside your comfort zone!