Do you tip your tatto artist?

mojocho

I'm sorry, but I disagree. He's doing what your already paying for, it's his job. You don't tip mechanics do you? Or any other people you pay for their services. I only tip people that "wait" on me, such as food service, or if you deliver something to my house.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. He's doing what your already paying for, it's his job. You don't tip mechanics do you? Or any other people you pay for their services. I only tip people that "wait" on me, such as food service, or if you deliver something to my house.

I've tipped a mechanic before... I also tip my barber... That is their job but still tip them..

That mechanic loves you then. Unless they're job depends on tips, then I don't tip. Like majority of waiters/waitresses make less than minimum and depend on working for tips. People that have a set salary/wage like a mechanic....hell no. If you want to flaunt cash like you're some pimp then I can see tipping them to feel good about your cash flow; like being Donald Trump or something. :lol::p

I don't give cash away for a job a person already gets paid to do. I tip food service, delivery people and I use to tip my barber, yes.

• Upvote 1

It depends on if you're going back, and if you're happy with their work. I typically don't tip anyone (barber, for example), the first time I go to them. If you're building a relationship with them, $20 is a small price to pay. IF they take care of you. Aftercare, touch-ups, details, etc. My tattooist didn't value my time the first couple of times. "Two hours" for a job turned into four. That whole tattoo-shop time thing drives me nuts. Talked to him about it, and now I let him know when I go in how much time I have available. We get along, and he's a great artist. I value that. On the other hand, I hear the other artists all quote $100/ hour rates, which is crazy, BUT that hour typically turns into two or more, and for the original price they quoted you. After their fee spllits with the owner/ shop, sketch/ prep time, materials, etc, they're not making anywhere near that $100/hr.

Like anything else, if I'm happy with the service, I'll tip. It doesn't appear to be expected by them, but they appreciate it. I think a lot of the shops are verrrrry slow right now. I don't tip my mechanic, though. And don't get me started on "tip" jars on fast food counters.

and that mechanic you tipped just jammed somebody up by charging them for a part they didn't need or he didn't replace all together. in the nobility chain, most mechanics are one step above a prostitute.

You can't lump all auto technicians together. There are bad apples in every field of work.

Alright. good comments from all. This is the first tat I'm getting and so far the artist has been pretty good to work with. Really listened to what I wanted with a lot of general directions from me. His sketch was nothing like I was orginally thinking, but it is actually a lot better than anything I thought of. That to me means he was listening to what and why I wanted it as well as being a good artist.

I guess I'll call an audible at the end. If I plan to go back I'll tip, otherwise not. The one I'm getting is going to be around $300 so don't really relish the idea of throwing more money. But also not sure how much of that he is going to actually get in his pocket.

appreciate the comments.

Like majority of waiters/waitresses make less than minimum and depend on working for tips.

Yahtzeee!

We had a crappy waitress last week, & my wife left her $1 just to make a point. They need to remember it's a friggin' INCENTIVE for good service... Not a guaranteed subsidy to their wages!

Tipping is a major pet peeve of mine! I'm tired of the friggin' SesameStreetWe'reAllFriggin'Special attitude trying to permeate into other areas like the fast food crap

Tattoo artist I would think of as a gray area. I usually tip my hair person a buck or 2 if they did a good job quickly

And don't get me started on "tip" jars on fast food counters.

Oh, don't you love the tip jar?! :nono: I'm like, what did you do that your company isn't already paying you to do that warrants you a tip? :lol: Eat it tip jar bitch! :lol: I hate those things too man. Everyone wants money for free.

if your stoked after you get inked up, throwing a few bones the artists way is a nice gesture. especially so when you go back for another one later and you want a tat of Mr.T it doesn't end up looking like Shrek.

sounds like that's from personal experience?!:D